Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Non-Wrestling > Non-Wrestling Talk

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

The trade war

You know, this morning when I was having my coffee I was thinking about something. The American Farmer is hurting right now because they have either not planted crops yet or they are dying on the vine because of this. The one S that we have that not one other country on the planet has is an abundance of fertile soil and clean freshwater. What China has Is a massive population in need of those crops. What exactly are we fighting for?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
You know, this morning when I was having my coffee I was thinking about something. The American Farmer is hurting right now because they have either not planted crops yet or they are dying on the vine because of this. The one S that we have that not one other country on the planet has is an abundance of fertile soil and clean freshwater. What China has Is a massive population in need of those crops. What exactly are we fighting for?
"We" are fighting so Trump can say HE "won" the trade war.

Too bad the "victory" comes at the cost of the economy, jobs, the "middle-class", and the American farmers.
I purposely used quotes around middle-class because it has become an ever-shrinking shadow of itself since Reaganomics and his BS trickle-down scam.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post

Too bad the "victory" comes at the cost of the economy, jobs, the "middle-class", and the American farmers.
I purposely used quotes around middle-class because it has become an ever-shrinking shadow of itself since Reaganomics and his BS trickle-down scam.
"Just remember, what you are seeing and what you are reading is not what's happening," Trump said in July 2018. "Just stick with us, don't believe the crap you see from these people, the fake news."
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
You have a misconception about today's farmers. The are all rich. There is a trend of farmers moving off the farm...their farms are so big that they have to drive to work anyway. I live on waterfront property(in Ted's cabin). My next door neighbor was a farmer, he paid cash for the house and he had a $250,000 dollar boat. When he moved he bought another home on the water for $750,000...and paid cash. There is a new neighbor in the neighborhood...he is a farmer also. He paid cash for a $500,000 home, and added a $100,000 dock and bought a new ski boat, fishing boat and a jet ski to park at his new dock. You don't need to feel sorry for the farmers.

China has been beating us at trade by a five to one ratio. They have been stealing our technology and manipulating their currency. Why don't we just wait and see what kind of deal that Trump comes away with.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post

There are more jobs than there are unemployed workers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/10/jolt...nemployed.html

Black unemployment is a record low.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/07/blac...this-year.html

The middle class gets eaten up by government spending, but the farmer are still buying new tractors.

https://www.agupdate.com/news/compan...2d04c575b.html

Last edited by MAL; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:15 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAL View Post
You have a misconception about today's farmers. The are all rich. There is a trend of farmers moving off the farm...their farms are so big that they have to drive to work anyway. I live on waterfront property(in Ted's cabin). My next door neighbor was a farmer, he paid cash for the house and he had a $250,000 dollar boat. When he moved he bought another home on the water for $750,000...and paid cash. There is a new neighbor in the neighborhood...he is a farmer also. He paid cash for a $500,000 home, and added a $100,000 dock and bought a new ski boat, fishing boat and a jet ski to park at his new dock. You don't need to feel sorry for the farmers.

China has been beating us at trade by a five to one ratio. They have been stealing our technology and manipulating their currency. Why don't we just wait and see what kind of deal that Trump comes away with.
https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...d-farm-income/

No facts as usual. Basing a bad statement on one neighbor who probably loves discussing his finances with you. Do you have TRS? Trumps own gov'ts data above sais 75K ave income and that is because most have a 2nd job - commonly driving trucks, etc. The most disturbing thing you have ever said is that you returned a lightbulb because it didn't last 2 years. You got a free lightbulb and still complaining. Sure, keep govt out of the market, sure no FDA, let your food safety be determined by who survives - that is letting the market decide. And yes, I de-tassled corn and walked beans - but still would at least look up some facts. You won't have to worry about them making too much anymore, they are burning down the Amazon to plant soy beans thanks to our temp. President. - And Trump said the light bulb thing was because they make him look orange, that is the story.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...d-farm-income/

No facts as usual. Basing a bad statement on one neighbor who probably loves discussing his finances with you. Do you have TRS? Trumps own gov'ts data above sais 75K ave income and that is because most have a 2nd job - commonly driving trucks, etc. The most disturbing thing you have ever said is that you returned a lightbulb because it didn't last 2 years. You got a free lightbulb and still complaining. Sure, keep govt out of the market, sure no FDA, let your food safety be determined by who survives - that is letting the market decide. And yes, I de-tassled corn and walked beans - but still would at least look up some facts. You won't have to worry about them making too much anymore, they are burning down the Amazon to plant soy beans thanks to our temp. President. - And Trump said the light bulb thing was because they make him look orange, that is the story.
What makes you think I talk to my neighbors?

I could give you anecdotal evidence about farmers wealth all day long. I grew up around farmers, I went to school with them, I have worked on their cars, I have worked on their houses. My graduating class was probably 20% farm kids...one of them had a brand new Cadillac when he turned 16...another bought a $3000 ring for his high school sweetheart...I know one farmer that was worried about a drought, but when we got a late rain before harvest, he bought a new boat.

A small farm probably has about a million dollars worth of buildings and equipment. I am not talking about hobby farms like these organic farmers that just farm on the side, but I think that is where you are getting confused.
Median income is different than average income. Median income means that half of people earn less than that figure and half earn more...median income does not give you any indication of how much any of the farmers actually make except the one farmer in the middle. Trust me when I tell you that farmers on average are doing better than than average, and when there is any question on their profitability, the government steps in writes them a check...sometimes they get paid to not plant a field. https://www.heritage.org/agriculture...farm-subsidies

The real money in farming comes from subsidies. Subsidies are not included in in farmers income data. https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand.../#4855f0e33efc

If an LED light bulb doesn't even make a 2 year warranty, it is not cost effective to use LED's If you pay full price, but I don't buy them unless I find them for under a dollar.

Last edited by MAL; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:15 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
What makes you think I talk to my neighbors?

I could give you anecdotal evidence about farmers wealth all day long.
That the problem. Anecdotal evidence is not fact and is considered the worst evidence. PS, In addition to working on farms de-tassling and what-not, I worked occasionally on a dairy farm and nothing is more work for less pay outside an African diamond mine - even for the owner. You need better information to get an average. The super rich are buying up the farm land, many farmers just rent the land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

And nothing makes you look older than believing conspiracy theories. Baby boomers are the generation who brought us JFK and moon landing conspiracy theories. It's no wonder they believe sites like "infowars.freedom.blogz.us" these days.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
That the problem. Anecdotal evidence is not fact and is considered the worst evidence. PS, In addition to working on farms de-tassling and what-not, I worked occasionally on a dairy farm and nothing is more work for less pay outside an African diamond mine - even for the owner. You need better information to get an average. The super rich are buying up the farm land, many farmers just rent the land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

And nothing makes you look older than believing conspiracy theories. Baby boomers are the generation who brought us JFK and moon landing conspiracy theories. It's no wonder they believe sites like "infowars.freedom.blogz.us" these days.
I am not a baby boomer.

I know what anecdotal evidence is. The anecdotal evidence is overwhelming and it is backed up by the statistics. I used to know a poor farmer...since he died I no longer know a poor farmer. When he died they found piles of cash in his dirt floored home. I am sure there are some heartbreaking stories about farmers, but even your link says they have a higher median income then the average household.

I am not the one that believed That Trump was smart enough to collude with Russia.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
I am not a baby boomer.

I know what anecdotal evidence is. The anecdotal evidence is overwhelming and it is backed up by the statistics. I used to know a poor farmer...since he died I no longer know a poor farmer. When he died they found piles of cash in his dirt floored home. I am sure there are some heartbreaking stories about farmers, but even your link says they have a higher median income then the average household.

I am not the one that believed That Trump was smart enough to collude with Russia.
MAL, riddle me this....The feds lowered interest rates, a sign that the economy is sluggish. Your buddy called them "boneheads" for not lowering them MORE. Yet he also says the markets are gaining "bigly." Which one is correct?