Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Freestyle / Greco-Roman

Old 6 Days Ago
Varsity

2019 IL Freestyle Club Cup- Thanks!

Thanks to all those who came out to Downers Grove South on this snow filled "spring day" for the 2019 IL Freestyle Club Cup. Twelve teams competed on the day and below you will find the final team placings and final placing dual team score. Congrats to Izzy Style Wrestling on bringing how the Club Cup by defeating Askren Wrestling Academy 32-29 in the final.

1st- Izzy Style- 32-29
2nd- Askren Wrestling Academy
3rd- Team Poeta 41-20
4th- ISI
5th- Ano Kato FS/GR- 56-7
6th- New Lenox WC
7th- Downers Grove Wrestling Club- 34-27
8th- Tri-cities
9th- National Emergency WC- 30-25
10th- Ringers
11th- DGWC II
12th- Beat the Streets

Best of luck to all in the Greco and Freestyle State Tournaments and we'll see you in 2020!

Last edited by seanlove22; 6 Days Ago at 06:34 PM. Reason: incorrect
Old 6 Days Ago

Do you have a box score for the placement matches? I am curious about the Askren vs. Izzy Style final. Track doesn't have match results. Thank you!
Old 6 Days Ago
Varsity

Izzy Style vs Askren Box Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konquest View Post
Do you have a box score for the placement matches? I am curious about the Askren vs. Izzy Style final. Track doesn't have match results. Thank you!
132- Burnoski (IZZ) over Bianchi (AWA)- Fall 2:54
138- Medora (AWA) over Benjamin (IZZ)- T-fall 18-8
145- O'Toole (AWA) over Thompson (IZZ)- Fall
152- Bianchi (AWA) over Mayora (IZZ)- 5-3
160- Stiles (IZZ) over Johnson (AWA) T-fall-12-2
170- Otto (AWA) over Ortiz (IZZ) Dec 9-0
182- Keckeisen (AWA) over Assad Dec 9-6
195- Christensen (IZZ) over Kools (AWA)- T-fall 10-0
220- Gothard (IZZ) over Wittman (AWA) T-fall 13-0
285- Somali (AWA) over Baker (IZZ) T-fall 10-0
106- Gonzalez (IZZ) over Hunter (AWA)
113- Verhagen (AWA) over Torres (IZZ) Fall :15
120- Vasquez (IZZ) over Jankowski (AWA) T-fall 10-0
126- Ragusin (IZZ) over Wilkowski (AWA) T-fall 10-0

Final Score Izzy Style 32 Askren Wrestling Academy 29
Old 6 Days Ago
CS8

?

I know nothing about this, so take it easy one me, but how/why is a Wisconsin club competing at the Illinois Club Cup? Is that just the name of the event? On paper it sounds like the clubs of IL would compete to see who is the top one. Just curious. Thanks!
Old 6 Days Ago
Varsity

Just the name

Really, it's just the name of the tournament/event and where it has been held. We have had clubs/teams from WI, IA, MI, IN, and MO in previous years. The Club Cup was started 9 years ago by New Trier wrestlers who were doing a business project for class. I believe they donated the proceeds to the late Chris Hruska (Conant/SIUE) who was battling cancer at the time. Downers Grove South took it over and has hosted the last 8 years. Some individuals said that there was a similar event in the 80's/90's, but I can't speak to that and the spring club landscape now is vastly different now than what it was in the 90's.

Bringing in teams from other states not only increases the level of competition, but it also allows for IL wrestlers to see different competition in the weeks leading up to Greco & Freestyle State. I think it also helps our top kids who will be on our dual teams in June a chance to compete in a competitive dual format. Not that it's the reason we are successful, but I do think that it helps.

In the nine years that it has been held since its reincarnation, an IL club/team has won each year, so while we do have clubs/teams from other
states, IL has came out on top in each of those years. Many years because of conflicts with other events on the spring schedule, we need to open it up to any and all clubs so we can have a full field, so having teams from other states helps with that.
Sponsored Links