Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 6 Days Ago
Varsity

Congrats to IKWF!

Very impressive weekend for the IKWF! Sending teams to both Heartland Duals and AAU Nationals spread the wealth around quite a bit.

AAU Nationals:
Illinois Orange and Illinois Blue BOTH ended up in the Gold Bracket. Orange went 6-3 overall bowing out in the consolation quarters.
Illinois Blue really showed out winning their pool, going 9-2 on the day and finishing 4th overall.

Heartland Duals:
IKWF Elementary went 5-2 overall with their only losses coming to the teams that ended up first and second overall. A very strong 3rd place overall showing from the elementary team

IKWF Silver (Middle School) also went 5-2 overall which placed them 5th in the platinum bracket (normally referred to as 'silver' bracket')

IKWF Gold (Middle School) went 6-1 for the weekend including not allowing a single point in 3 of their 4 pool matches. They ended up 3rd overall.

Great performance by all the kids and coaches involved. Very nice weekend for some of IKWF's finest!
Old 5 Days Ago
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyourtoes View Post
Very impressive weekend for the IKWF! Sending teams to both Heartland Duals and AAU Nationals spread the wealth around quite a bit.

AAU Nationals:
Illinois Orange and Illinois Blue BOTH ended up in the Gold Bracket. Orange went 6-3 overall bowing out in the consolation quarters.
Illinois Blue really showed out winning their pool, going 9-2 on the day and finishing 4th overall.

Heartland Duals:
IKWF Elementary went 5-2 overall with their only losses coming to the teams that ended up first and second overall. A very strong 3rd place overall showing from the elementary team

IKWF Silver (Middle School) also went 5-2 overall which placed them 5th in the platinum bracket (normally referred to as 'silver' bracket')

IKWF Gold (Middle School) went 6-1 for the weekend including not allowing a single point in 3 of their 4 pool matches. They ended up 3rd overall.

Great performance by all the kids and coaches involved. Very nice weekend for some of IKWF's finest!

^^^^^^^^
We need more of that on this board.
Old 5 Days Ago

I was very impressed with how well they all competed at Kingsport TN all Illinois kids all 6th grade or less.
Old 5 Days Ago

Another team from Illinois was at AAU in Kingsport also although they didnt have a full team they competed well having 3 all Americans awarded out of 8 wrestlers and 2 more 1 win away from the award.
Old 5 Days Ago
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomus View Post
Another team from Illinois was at AAU in Kingsport also although they didnt have a full team they competed well having 3 all Americans awarded out of 8 wrestlers and 2 more 1 win away from the award.

I thought that both the Blue and Orange team preformed very well out there. They were giving up some age to that Compound team at some key weights and they fought hard.
Old 4 Days Ago
Olympian

The middle school group the last 2 weekends wrestled very well. They should be proud of their efforts. Starting weight and momentum were key in the loss to Oregon. I was not aware of any scoring change that you receive less team points in the early matches of a dual than you do once your team is mathematically eliminated. Now if the team with the lead forfeited a couple of weights at the end of a dual you may have a point. Otherwise an 8pt. dual is an 8 pt. dual. Which is one swing match.
A bigger issue is more likely that of the 17 wt, classes the IKWF Gold team had 5 State Champions. The least by far in any other year including back in the day. I can not remember a year when we had less than double digits. 5 wrestle for teams that discourage participation in the duals, 4 had other commitments and 3 were injured.
Old 4 Days Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
The middle school group the last 2 weekends wrestled very well. They should be proud of their efforts. Starting weight and momentum were key in the loss to Oregon. I was not aware of any scoring change that you receive less team points in the early matches of a dual than you do once your team is mathematically eliminated. Now if the team with the lead forfeited a couple of weights at the end of a dual you may have a point. Otherwise an 8pt. dual is an 8 pt. dual. Which is one swing match.
A bigger issue is more likely that of the 17 wt, classes the IKWF Gold team had 5 State Champions. The least by far in any other year including back in the day. I can not remember a year when we had less than double digits. 5 wrestle for teams that discourage participation in the duals, 4 had other commitments and 3 were injured.
So nearly 30% of champs are from clubs that discourage cross -participation in what is essentially the OFFSEASON?

But hey, no one really wants to be a champ if they can just make a lot of friends and go on trips in the IN-season.

Why is in-season cross-participation even a discussion point?

A little bit ago, a club deciding to travel and adding a kid or two has devolved into Johnny-come-lately clubs which can't field a team seeking the best wrestlers they can from other clubs in order to accomplish the holy grail of going to... Grand River Rumble?

And this prevents kids from being friends with each other.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 4 Days Ago
Varsity

Seems like a few may have been busy making World team or at least trying for 1. Seems like a good reason to miss a post season Folkstyle dual event to me.
Old 4 Days Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent n deadly View Post
Seems like a few may have been busy making World team or at least trying for 1. Seems like a good reason to miss a post season Folkstyle dual event to me.
They're not mandatory.

Imagine if the IKWF organized the teams being sent to out-of-state, in season dual contests...

You win the Joe Tholl, you're on the team for the following week's festivities in scenic Kellogg or wherever.

That would ensure that everyone who wants to participate gets a fair shot to prove themselves, no?

Oh but wait... wouldn't the IKWF be screwing over the clubs holding tournaments that weekend? So I'm guessing they wouldn't do that.

Instead, multiple teams of kids are being formed so everyone can ride unicorns and get their participation ribbons.

And clubs who are missing partners for the kids who just want to become a wrestler are just supposed to be okay with this...

I know there's not a chance in hell of this proposal getting passed thanks to all the unicorn-riders bleating about their sacred opportunities...

...but please recognize the message built into the notion. That's the most important thing. People who understand will do the right thing when the time comes. The others are at the mercy of wherever their unicorns may traipse...

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 3 Days Ago
Varsity

I know I spoke to some of the kids and coaches from both duals. For those I havent spoke to yet.. great job. 2 IL teams making gold bracket is phenomenal. And the other duals in IA, very tough duals and IL kids were up for the challenge. Was a great weekend. All kids gave it their best. Congrats to all kids who participated and congrats along w/ a special thanks to the coaches who put time aside for these kids. Great weekend all around.
Sponsored Links