Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey32 View Post
Good win for the Illini. Start off with the positives. Best energy of the day...
1 lil' cardi/ always goes hard and seems to be getting better each outing
2. Luff/ this kid looks 12 years old and wrestles with that type of energy.
3. Barone/ impressed as soon as he walk on mat, looked like he wanted to be on that mat today
4. Z. brawny/ not his best match but what a gamer! Kid has brass

Team does good job at defence and scrambling once opponents are deep on legs but becoming too dependent on it for their offense. Bad reaction on initial shots, almost like a young kid looking into eyes and getting late sprawl. Pio gets pass today, looked sick but gutted out the win. Wrob just struggles. Gunther looked better but not great match management when looking for bonus.

B+ overall in my book. Go Illini

I also thought that the Great Indestructible Pio and Brawny1 were battling the flu or the after effects; maybe Brawny2 as well. Still, they gutted out victories. As for Cardani, the question that I have is this: How good is he? Here's his progression in my eyes so far: Big Ten Average starter > Better than Average > Very Good. Medley just beat Stupid Northwestern's DeAugustino on his home mat. Cardani can take down Big Ten wrestlers. That is his key. Is this another one of those under-appreciated Jeremy Hunter coaching jobs?

Speaking of the Wildcats, that was the same lineup Fichigan used to beat them by three points.

Pio, like I said, seemed to have a health thing going on. The Michigan wrestler just wanted to hand fight and pop Pio on his head. That worked out to keep the score down, but Pio keeps on winning. Pio got an assist from the coaches (see below).

Duncan will win some matches now that he doesn't have to face the Top Three wrestlers in the country at his weight. Jodeh works very hard. Never gets a deserved stall call, and always wrestles smart. Tip of the hat!

Barone was very game, and his match with a top eight kid was in doubt until the whistle blew. I think both of these schools have their current fad holds and takedowns. Everybody knows the ILLINI coaches had success with double legs and underhooks. Barone with the underhooks and double underhooks all match. We see that a lot from the kids. Michigan is running that dump-and-head-in-the-hole. It wasn't Mason Paris running it this time.

Brawny2 and Guns were both expected to win, and they came through! I will always note when a wrestler uses a leg sweep as a setup. When they use it and secure a takedown, that wrestler gets special mention:

Quote:
Great job, Guns!
Danny might have been recovering from the same thing as his brother.

Zac Brawlnagel was incredible! Superb effort and focus while seemingly under the weather. Embree is a quality guy, and he looked bigger than Brawny1. Some beautiful effort takedowns. That was a dual winning match right there!

I think Jackson Striggow is in the Big Dance right now if they sent out invites yesterday. That's where Wrobo-cop wants to be. He's not there yet, but he has improved from the beginning of the year. He's got Northwestern, MSU and Purdue coming up, and that's gonna be tough sledding. But also opportunity.

Really impressed with Luffman here! There are people on themat.com saying that Mason Paris has a good shot at making the Olympic team. I'm not so sure about that, but there's no question he's a superb heavyweight deserving of a #2 ranking. Luffman came within cat whiskers of taking him down twice. Also, Paris has been a bonus machine and has pinned his previous four opponents. Luke kept him to a decision. If Luke wrestles with this much focus going forward, he will be dynamite to watch for 3 1/2 more years!

Sizemore was again excellent on the call. The other announcer wasn't that conversant about wrestling but was a gamer. He was also smart enough to let Trey do most of the talking.

A couple of great coaching moves: They started the match at 125. You know Cardani is going to shoot in on first period takedowns on a "dry" wrestler. Nice little advantage. Also, I believe that it was in Pio's match when the scoring table failed to award the escape for the ILLINI; at that point, the coaches jumped up and started to make a big scene. It didn't have to be that big of a scene, but they made it that big of a scene because Pio had to have lung time right then. The coaches did their job. It pissed off Bormet, too! He knew what was going on.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Well, since u brought it up. The second announcer was smart enough to keep quiet except the few times he addressed the moves as plays and the wrestlers as players. My question is why is he on the air? Couldn't they get a local highschool coach, or wrestler to announce with Sizemore. Graphics couldn't keep up with matches and names. Isn't this an engineering school? Lol just comes off very generic and small ballish. No matter to me highschool recruits see the whole production, let's not kid ourselves.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey32 View Post
Well, since u brought it up. The second announcer was smart enough to keep quiet except the few times he addressed the moves as plays and the wrestlers as players. My question is why is he on the air? Couldn't they get a local highschool coach, or wrestler to announce with Sizemore. Graphics couldn't keep up with matches and names. Isn't this an engineering school? Lol just comes off very generic and small ballish. No matter to me highschool recruits see the whole production, let's not kid ourselves.
Sorry that the ILLINI win put you in such a sour mood!

Troll.

Illinois 20, Michigan 16

125: Justin Cardani (Illinois) over Jack Medley (Michigan) (Dec 3-2)

133: Travis Piotrowski (Illinois) over Austin Assad (Michigan) (Dec 9-7)

141: Dylan Duncan (Illinois) over Cole Mattin (Michigan) (Dec 6-0)

149: Kanen Storr (Michigan) over Mousa Jodeh (Illinois) (MD 14-4)

157: Will Lewan (Michigan) over Eric Barone (Illinois) (Dec 3-1)

165: Dan Braunagel (Illinois) over Reece Hughes (Michigan) (MD 10-2)

174: Joseph Gunther (Illinois) over Max Maylor (Michigan) (MD 15-3)

184: Zach Braunagel (Illinois) over Jelani Embree (Michigan) (Dec 5-4)

197: Jackson Striggow (Michigan) over Matt Wroblewski (Illinois) (Fall 6:59)

285: Mason Parris (Michigan) over Luke Luffman (Illinois) (Dec 11-5)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Very happy for the win and seen alot of positives chief. Just thinking with the talent and the possibilities we have, maybe we should stop excepting being second string to teams and coaches that I can't stomach, like iowa. Or we can just keep sending our top talent to the brands boys because the recruits tend to be drawn to flashy objects. If wanting more makes me a troll, then I am captain troll. Stay positive chief, i like that about you!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Sorry that the ILLINI win put you in such a sour mood!

Troll.

Illinois 20, Michigan 16

125: Justin Cardani (Illinois) over Jack Medley (Michigan) (Dec 3-2)

133: Travis Piotrowski (Illinois) over Austin Assad (Michigan) (Dec 9-7)

141: Dylan Duncan (Illinois) over Cole Mattin (Michigan) (Dec 6-0)

149: Kanen Storr (Michigan) over Mousa Jodeh (Illinois) (MD 14-4)

157: Will Lewan (Michigan) over Eric Barone (Illinois) (Dec 3-1)

165: Dan Braunagel (Illinois) over Reece Hughes (Michigan) (MD 10-2)

174: Joseph Gunther (Illinois) over Max Maylor (Michigan) (MD 15-3)

184: Zach Braunagel (Illinois) over Jelani Embree (Michigan) (Dec 5-4)

197: Jackson Striggow (Michigan) over Matt Wroblewski (Illinois) (Fall 6:59)

285: Mason Parris (Michigan) over Luke Luffman (Illinois) (Dec 11-5)
I didn't see the meet, but I'm glad things turned out well for the Illini. There were some toss up matches where we apparently came out on top. I'll post a bit more when I get a chance to look at the dual. Good meet overall.
Sponsored Links