Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 04-15-2009
Olympian

Random Thoughts

I am still not convinced that my opinion/stories/thoughts matter a whole lot to the majority of people on that visit this website, but I suppose I can continue to write blogs for the minority who actually read them. For those wonderful few, here are some random thoughts, wrestling and non-wrestling related.

1) I can not believe it snowed in April.
2) I really wish more people attended wrestling events, especially ones like the US Open in Las Vegas last weekend. Our nation's best wrestlers competing for the "National Title" - it truly does not get much better than that. Yet, did anyone really notice, outside of the fanatics???
3) It is going to be really hard for wrestling to become mainstream in the United States. But, how can we expect the public to care and show support, if we as wrestling fans do not even show support?? Terrible attendance at national events is not a positive in making our sport more well known to the random people in our society.
4) With all that said, maybe we should move the location of the national open. Clearly, Vegas is wonderful for its own reasons, but it is not exactly an ideal location for people to visit to watch a wrestling tourney, especially not on Easter weekend. Bad planning in my opinion.
5) I love watching The Masters, especially when the final day lands on Easter. There is just something about it that makes life seem semi-complete.
6) The Red Sox have a losing record. The Cardinals are already ahead of the Cubs. The baseball season did not start off very well.
7) Congrats to Jake Herbert - First the Hodge, and then the OW at US Open. That is very impressive. Working with Sean Bormet and focusing on freestyle is going to make Jake a very dangerous athlete in the coming years. Plus, his wide open style and athletic ability could pose as a threat on the world scene.
8) Does Illinois have a coach yet? Has anyone heard anything? I hope that, for the sake of the athletes, a decision is made soon. It is hard to go through an offseason without knowing who your coach is going to be, and will be even harder if they leave school in May without a head coach.
9) I was really happy to see that, in Freestyle, Iowa St had 3 champions at the US Open, while Iowa only had one. (Mocco counts for Oklahoma St).
10) If you could have dinner with 3 people in the wrestling world (dead or alive), who would it be?? I think mine would have to be Dave Schultz, Alexander Karelin, and Cael Sanderson - talk about personality differences.
11) I really dont think any posters on here are annoying, especially not parents who simply support their sons. If I truly thought badly about someone, I would not post it publicly.
12) I think schools should start hiring Illinois Matmen to commentate dual meets during the regular season. We could have a broadcast team in the North, and another in the South, and they would attend a few big meets per year, and broadcast live via an internet feed. It would take some effort and some help, but there is no doubt it could be done.
13) I think we should have an open forum as part of the blog.....so anyone who might have any questions for me, about anything, please feel free to post them under this thread, and I will try my best to answer them.
14) I apologize for wasting the time of anyone who does not like reading my thoughts - but, then again, if you dont like reading my thoughts, why would you get this far??
15) Thanks again, let me know if you have any questions.
Old 04-15-2009
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burk View Post
9) I was really happy to see that, in Freestyle, Iowa St had 3 champions at the US Open, while Iowa only had one. (Mocco counts for Oklahoma St).
I know Mocco left Iowa left for Oklahoma State after Brands left Iowa, but I wouldnt say hes any more of a cowboy than a hawkeye. I would classify him as "Team Brands" now that hes back in Iowa training with Brands Bros. haha
Old 04-15-2009
Olympian

Ok fair enough.
So that changes the total to 3 for Iowa St, and 1.5 for Iowa.
Still good enough for me at this point.
Old 04-15-2009
Varsity

6) Cards and Cubs are tied for first.
Old 04-15-2009
Wrestling Media

Quote:
I am still not convinced that my opinion/stories/thoughts matter a whole lot to the majority of people on that visit this website, but I suppose I can continue to write blogs for the minority who actually read them. For those wonderful few, here are some random thoughts, wrestling and non-wrestling related.

1) I can not believe it snowed in April.
2) I really wish more people attended wrestling events, especially ones like the US Open in Las Vegas last weekend. Our nation's best wrestlers competing for the "National Title" - it truly does not get much better than that. Yet, did anyone really notice, outside of the fanatics???
3) It is going to be really hard for wrestling to become mainstream in the United States. But, how can we expect the public to care and show support, if we as wrestling fans do not even show support?? Terrible attendance at national events is not a positive in making our sport more well known to the random people in our society.
4) With all that said, maybe we should move the location of the national open. Clearly, Vegas is wonderful for its own reasons, but it is not exactly an ideal location for people to visit to watch a wrestling tourney, especially not on Easter weekend. Bad planning in my opinion.
5) I love watching The Masters, especially when the final day lands on Easter. There is just something about it that makes life seem semi-complete.
6) The Red Sox have a losing record. The Cardinals are already ahead of the Cubs. The baseball season did not start off very well.
7) Congrats to Jake Herbert - First the Hodge, and then the OW at US Open. That is very impressive. Working with Sean Bormet and focusing on freestyle is going to make Jake a very dangerous athlete in the coming years. Plus, his wide open style and athletic ability could pose as a threat on the world scene.
8) Does Illinois have a coach yet? Has anyone heard anything? I hope that, for the sake of the athletes, a decision is made soon. It is hard to go through an offseason without knowing who your coach is going to be, and will be even harder if they leave school in May without a head coach.
10) If you could have dinner with 3 people in the wrestling world (dead or alive), who would it be?? I think mine would have to be Dave Schultz, Alexander Karelin, and Cael Sanderson - talk about personality differences.
11) I really dont think any posters on here are annoying, especially not parents who simply support their sons. If I truly thought badly about someone, I would not post it publicly.
12) I think schools should start hiring Illinois Matmen to commentate dual meets during the regular season. We could have a broadcast team in the North, and another in the South, and they would attend a few big meets per year, and broadcast live via an internet feed. It would take some effort and some help, but there is no doubt it could be done.
13) I think we should have an open forum as part of the blog.....so anyone who might have any questions for me, about anything, please feel free to post them under this thread, and I will try my best to answer them.
14) I apologize for wasting the time of anyone who does not like reading my thoughts - but, then again, if you dont like reading my thoughts, why would you get this far??
15) Thanks again, let me know if you have any questions.
Number 12. I love it. Yes we should be broadcasting dual meets from all over the state and the state finals should be on t.v. using illinoismatmen to produce it.

I have no questions. Just keep the thoughts coming. Great stuff.
Old 04-16-2009
platitude/attitude buster

ditto....

Number 12. I love it. Yes we should be broadcasting dual meets from all over the state and the state finals should be on t.v. using illinoismatmen to produce it.
Old 04-16-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
ditto....

Right on - I think it would be awesome for the wrestling community. The TV deal for the state finals is a little harder to accomplish because of the mountains you would have to climb to come up with a deal with the IHSA. But, there is no reason we cant do dual meets every once in a while.
Like I said, it would take people volunteering their time to help. Mike Bare can not travel to every dual meet all over the state and work the video feed and the sound. I am sure he would be willing to do a few of them, but others would have to step up to help in the process. I think we have a few people who would be willing to do some commentary up in the North, as well as down here towards the South, so that shouldnt be a problem. The main issue would be finding people who can set up the video feed, get the sound situated, and be able to connect to the live broadcast via the website.
I think it would be awesome....we could start very basic, maybe hit 3-4 "rival" duals next year, and then take off. I actually got the idea from Mike, so I am not taking any credit for it - just trying to get the idea out there, and into the minds of the wrestling community.
How about IllinoisMatmen broadcasting the Illinois vs Northwestern dual meet every year?? Big 10 network would freak.
Old 04-17-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TWISTER View Post
... the state finals should be on t.v. using illinoismatmen to produce it.
If you guys want to take over it would make my life a lot easier....
Old 04-17-2009
Olympian

Quote:
It's not going to happen. Random people don't care about wrestling. Quite frankly, we (as a community) haven't given them a reason to.
Old 04-19-2009
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
I will add a comment...a rather critical one. I went to the US Olympic Trials last June in Las Vegas NV for both the judo and wrestling. I thought it was great and I am very much in favor of a close relationship in both sports...that goes for the high school/jr level as well. On the other hand, failing to qualify all the weights and the type of performance that the US turned in in Bejing was embarrassing. I can't believe that we came away with one medal each in Greco Roman, freestyle, and judo, Cejudo's being the only gold. The US has never done particularly well in judo but given the current crop of young players coming up I hope that will change. After watching the live stream video (yep, I stayed up late to watch most of the matches) I could not believe the US wrestlers looked so flat!!!!! Other than Cejudo, Wheeler, Mocco (who got screwed on a horrible call) and a few others It was a fiasco. Askren was the biggest disappointment. So...what's the answer for London 2012?

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Sponsored Links