Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 03-12-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Sherrill View Post
I watched the end of the match at least a dozen times. It's hard to see, but the takedown did beat the buzzer. Lee's hand touched after the scoreboard at matside ticked past 0:01 but before it ticked to 0:00. So the official made the correct call, even though the announcers thought time had expired. If matches were five minutes and 59 seconds long, Lee would be a four-time state champion today. But, because they're six minutes, he's not.
The back of his hand touches the mat. OK, but one foot is clearly in the air, and the other foot may be, or does go in the air immediately. Isn't a hand touching the mat only a takedown if also both feet are on the ground and you are using the hand to brace yourself? Just having the back of your hand graze the mat, as you are doing a granby, and you other foot is in the air, doesn't look like a takedown to me.

To me it's more like if the match was 6:01 then he would have lost.
Old 03-13-2017
Varsity

Send a message via AIM to NickyTheEar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding View Post
Trunt67
You may be the dumbest wrestling spectator ever. Stop the Pennsylvania cheerleading. Lee is amazing, but was out wrestled here. He'll only be an above average athlete at the next level. He's benefited from being small and cutting lots of weight. College will proved me right. I like the kid, but you just sound ignorant.
I highly doubt he will only be an above average athlete. Lee has been one of the most elite wrestlers in the US over the past 4 years. He has pretty much won every major tournament known in high school wrestling, besides losing this weekend at PIAA State Finals. He has won the Ironman 3 times, The Powerade 4 times, A Cadet World Championship, A Junior World Championship, and countless other tournaments. HE was undefeated until this weekend. Now he has one blemish on his record for his whole career and now he is only a above average wrestler?

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-13-2017
Varsity

1st period Flee?

Anybody else think that DiSanto was pretty deserving of a fleeing the mat call during the first period? Seemed like the crowd thought so. Lee hit the Takedown attempt in the middle of mat and DiSanto's first moves were to pull Lee out and then face. Seemed pretty egregious to me. That would have made it 6-6 perhaps and made for one crazy OT.
Old 03-13-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDrag View Post
Anybody else think that DiSanto was pretty deserving of a fleeing the mat call during the first period? Seemed like the crowd thought so. Lee hit the Takedown attempt in the middle of mat and DiSanto's first moves were to pull Lee out and then face. Seemed pretty egregious to me. That would have made it 6-6 perhaps and made for one crazy OT.
exactly what I thought. if you dont call that fleeing you shouldnt have the call.
Old 03-13-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwrestler View Post
I do not think Lee looked injured at all
Was that a beer can koozi on his his leg???
Old 03-13-2017
Varsity

When I watched the match it appeared to me that Lee looked out of sorts, but at the time I did not relate it to his knee. Lee has had knee problems in the past. He hurt his HCL over the summer and wore a similar brace so I assumed that is why he was wearing a knee brace. Since his loss, it was announced he tore his ACL, which can be a career ending injury.

This is what makes this sport so great. Even the best of the best get humbled during their wrestling careers. All the greats from Gable to Smith to Burroughs were all upset by opponents no-one thought could beat them. They all came back stronger after these loses. I assume this will be the same with Lee.
Old 03-13-2017
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low dribble View Post
It's certainly easy to watch and pause, I get that. However, a guy going for a four peat and undefeated career should get that same level of officiating. He did not and I feel bad for him, and having the whole area a against him didn't help.
No he shouldn't. He should get the same officiating everyone else gets. Right up to and along with the standard expectation of reasonable human error.
Old 03-13-2017
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyTheEar View Post
I highly doubt he will only be an above average athlete. Lee has been one of the most elite wrestlers in the US over the past 4 years. He has pretty much won every major tournament known in high school wrestling, besides losing this weekend at PIAA State Finals. He has won the Ironman 3 times, The Powerade 4 times, A Cadet World Championship, A Junior World Championship, and countless other tournaments. HE was undefeated until this weekend. Now he has one blemish on his record for his whole career and now he is only a above average wrestler?
We'll see. Lots of things get flushed out and evened out in NCAA D1 wrestling.

My theory has been that he's a superior wrestler technically with a super high level of love and work ethic for the sport... who has also benefitted disproportionately from the unique circumstance of being simultaneously the child of elite grapplers, and being an extremely early physically maturing young man who happens to be at a very light weight.

Nobody is truly that much better than their opponents. Whenever you see someone dominate at the level he has in any sport, at this age, you must look behind the curtain.

Spencer could still win multiple national titles, or he could drop to any level lower than that. It's up to him assuming any serious injury he has heals well.
Old 03-13-2017
Olympian

He'll go as far as his health will allow. He's already dealt with a lengthy rehab from torn labrum surgery that cost him most of his junior year - he only had 12 matches and didn't start until almost the district tournament. Now he'll have another significant recovery from an ACL surgery to deal with. But, as his dad told the media after the match, "we didn't want his senior year to end in a doctor's office." Although I always root for three-timers to finish the job, I don't feel badly about this one. The right kid definitely won the match.
Old 03-13-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Sherrill View Post
He'll go as far as his health will allow. He's already dealt with a lengthy rehab from torn labrum surgery that cost him most of his junior year - he only had 12 matches and didn't start until almost the district tournament. Now he'll have another significant recovery from an ACL surgery to deal with. But, as his dad told the media after the match, "we didn't want his senior year to end in a doctor's office." Although I always root for three-timers to finish the job, I don't feel badly about this one. The right kid definitely won the match.
What the heck does that mean? I no nothing of either one of these kids, but judging by this post, and the cheers against Lee, he was the Darth Vador in this match.
Sponsored Links