Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 10-16-2017
Olympian

Favorite ILLINI, non-ILLINI and kid who went to hs in Illinois

I'll start.

ILLINI: IMAR. Duh. Even fans of other teams appreciate him. What a classy ambassador! Will make a great coach some day, hopefully after a stellar international career.

NON-ILLINI: This is tough. I can rule out Patrick Downey. Just about everybody else is in play. Maybe Myles Martin and Bo Nickal when they aren't wrestling Parker? Maybe. Martin has been a "Damn the Torpedoes; Full speed ahead!" kind of guy for two years running. Nickal was like that as a Frosh; less so as a sophomore. I'd like to hear who you pick and why.

KID WHO WENT TO HS IN ILLINOIS: Larry Early because we get to hear from that fam here. Plus, it will be a great story going forward. Would also like to hear the other picks you all come up with.

BEST TATTOO: IMAR's!

BEST MULLET: No mullet is best. They are all equally bad. Would you go back in time to shave off the first mullet? I would do that for humanity.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 10-16-2017
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
I'll start.

ILLINI: IMAR. Duh. Even fans of other teams appreciate him. What a classy ambassador! Will make a great coach some day, hopefully after a stellar international career.

NON-ILLINI: This is tough. I can rule out Patrick Downey. Just about everybody else is in play. Maybe Myles Martin and Bo Nickal when they aren't wrestling Parker? Maybe. Martin has been a "Damn the Torpedoes; Full speed ahead!" kind of guy for two years running. Nickal was like that as a Frosh; less so as a sophomore. I'd like to hear who you pick and why.

KID WHO WENT TO HS IN ILLINOIS: Larry Early because we get to hear from that fam here. Plus, it will be a great story going forward. Would also like to hear the other picks you all come up with.

BEST MULLET: No mullet is best. They are all equally bad. Would you go back in time to shave off the first mullet? I would do that for humanity.

GO ILLINI!!!
ILLINI: Eric Siebert, no brainer. Not only went undefeated and won an NCAA championship but helped build one of the best programs in the state at the high school level.

NON-ILLINI: Jordan Burroughs FTW.

KIDS WHO WENT TO HS IN ILLINOIS: Tough call...Daniel Dennis, Tony Ramos, of course being an OPRF wrestling alumni there are SO many to choose from...Nick and Chris Dardanes, Joey Arieolla, Sammy Brooks, Ellis Coleman, Kamal Bey, Matt Rundell, Larry Early, Andre Lee, Gabe Townsell, Alex and soon Tony Madrigal, Jay Renteria, Jamie Hernandez, and folks, lookout for Isaiah White. I guess I have to go with JRent because of a special connection with my son who taught him how to destroy folks using a tsa tsai from the double underhook...if you get a chance to see the video from The Clash v Apple Valley or the IHSA semi-finals last year you will catch my drift.

BEST TATTOO: Don't care.

BEST MULLET: Sammy Brooks, hands down.

Mack Bolen

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 10-16-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
ILLINI: Eric Siebert, no brainer. Not only went undefeated and won an NCAA championship but helped build one of the best programs in the state at the high school level.

NON-ILLINI: Jordan Burroughs FTW.

KIDS WHO WENT TO HS IN ILLINOIS: Tough call...Daniel Dennis, Tony Ramos, of course being an OPRF wrestling alumni there are SO many to choose from...Nick and Chris Dardanes, Joey Arieolla, Sammy Brooks, Ellis Coleman, Kamal Bey, Matt Rundell, Larry Early, Andre Lee, Gabe Townsell, Alex and soon Tony Madrigal, Jay Renteria, Jamie Hernandez, and folks, lookout for Isaiah White. I guess I have to go with JRent because of a special connection with my son who taught him how to destroy folks using a tsa tsai from the double underhook...if you get a chance to see the video from The Clash v Apple Valley or the IHSA semi-finals last year you will catch my drift.

BEST TATTOO: Don't care.

BEST MULLET: Sammy Brooks, hands down.

Mack Bolen
Mullet folk stick together! Haha! I almost picked JRent.

Another category would be Best Villain. Last year was hands down Gilman. I don't see anybody in Gilman's class this year except maybe Downey. All time best villain, at least for me, was Nick Simmons, The East Lansing Strangler. I can't remember the ILLINI ever having a villain, although Iowa tried to say Delgado was one.

Biggest Sleeper. For the ILLINI, I'm going with the Xman but it could be Duncan (or whoever wins the 133 spot). I also have to give special mention to Langenderfer and Black. ILLINI seniors with as much talent as they have usually go out with a bang. On the national scene, I don't know. Did the heavyweight from Oklahoma (Ross Larson) graduate? He has underachieved in a spectacular fashion. Either he's a senior due to go out on the podium, or he has already graduated and wasted a lot of talent (although there might have been injuries I don't know about).

Almost forgot to mention that my all-time non-ILLINI favorite might be Burroughs as well, except I can't forgive him wrestling on his knees in neutral against Poeta. In every other respect, he's top notch. I'll have to think about it some more.
Old 10-17-2017
Olympian

I gave it some more thought and cannot get past Burroughs wrestling from his knees in neutral in the championship match against Poeta. Burroughs didn't do it as much as Jordan Leen did it, but he still did it. For that reason, I am prejudiced against Burroughs. So, my favorite non-ILLINI all-time is John Smith. He worked a single leg so contrary to what the textbook says. It was way too extended, way too much effort, but he gutted them out. Brian Glynn and Jesse Delgado did the same thing many times for the ILLINI. Have to respect the grit.

I've also changed my mind on favorite current non-ILLINI wrestler. If my theory is true that Zahid Valencia is on a Vision Quest at the All-Star just to beat Hall. And he moves up to 184 during the season to beat Nickal in the NCAAs, then Zahid is my man, not Myles or Bo.

As for biggest non-ILLINI sleeper, it looks like Ross Larson graduated, so I can't pick him. I'm going with Jacobe Smith from Okie Light. Flo has him at #14. I think he's top eight now, easily.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 10-17-2017
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
I gave it some more thought and cannot get past Burroughs wrestling from his knees in neutral in the championship match against Poeta. Burroughs didn't do it as much as Jordan Leen did it, but he still did it. For that reason, I am prejudiced against Burroughs. So, my favorite non-ILLINI all-time is John Smith. He worked a single leg so contrary to what the textbook says. It was way too extended, way too much effort, but he gutted them out. Brian Glynn and Jesse Delgado did the same thing many times for the ILLINI. Have to respect the grit.

I've also changed my mind on favorite current non-ILLINI wrestler. If my theory is true that Zahid Valencia is on a Vision Quest at the All-Star just to beat Hall. And he moves up to 184 during the season to beat Nickal in the NCAAs, then Zahid is my man, not Myles or Bo.

As for biggest non-ILLINI sleeper, it looks like Ross Larson graduated, so I can't pick him. I'm going with Jacobe Smith from Okie Light. Flo has him at #14. I think he's top eight now, easily.

GO ILLINI!!!
Can't argue with John Smith, IMO the greatest US wrestler in history.

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 10-17-2017
Varsity

Quote:
I'll start.

BEST MULLET: No mullet is best. They are all equally bad. Would you go back in time to shave off the first mullet? I would do that for humanity

GO ILLINI!!!
Illini Duncan the kid is a warrior and he was no different in the ikwf ,high school, or the the ncaa . His decision to compete in his his Montini singlet in the finals against Eierman as a redshirt was a great chance to give a shout to both Montini and Izzy who were a huge part of why he is where he is today

Non illini-simple for me . Ill go with Suriano .The kid had a great true freshman year where he showed up ready to go from day 1.The piccininni match speaks for itself and the kind of competitor he is.Most guys in a dual dont get up from that injury and attempt to finish .Cael had to carry him off the mat .
He left PSU for personal reasons he didnt make public.
He didnt leave because of academics ,or not being able to make the lineup,or did he violate team rules or off the mat scandels that a legend paid the price for
Suriano was willing to risk losing a year of eligibility to leave Psu for rutgers usually a kid that good transfers to the elite schools not out of them

High school kid-i wont copy Mcbkin and name successful studs from one school i have to limit it to 3 guys from recent years in no paticular order

Most exciting :Kamal Bey
Best clutch wrestler:Austin Gomez
Point scoring machine :Rudy Yates
Best villian :Renteria by far ..he is a great competior and kid who shows up to beat guys up and his intensity and success made him pumlic enemy #1
Old 10-18-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherthrowyathenknowya View Post
Illini Duncan the kid is a warrior and he was no different in the ikwf ,high school, or the the ncaa . His decision to compete in his his Montini singlet in the finals against Eierman as a redshirt was a great chance to give a shout to both Montini and Izzy who were a huge part of why he is where he is today

Non illini-simple for me . Ill go with Suriano .The kid had a great true freshman year where he showed up ready to go from day 1.The piccininni match speaks for itself and the kind of competitor he is.Most guys in a dual dont get up from that injury and attempt to finish .Cael had to carry him off the mat .
He left PSU for personal reasons he didnt make public.
He didnt leave because of academics ,or not being able to make the lineup,or did he violate team rules or off the mat scandels that a legend paid the price for
Suriano was willing to risk losing a year of eligibility to leave Psu for rutgers usually a kid that good transfers to the elite schools not out of them

High school kid-i wont copy Mcbkin and name successful studs from one school i have to limit it to 3 guys from recent years in no paticular order

Most exciting :Kamal Bey
Best clutch wrestler:Austin Gomez
Point scoring machine :Rudy Yates
Best villian :Renteria by far ..he is a great competior and kid who shows up to beat guys up and his intensity and success made him pumlic enemy #1
These are some good choices (and reasons). Mckbln and you have hit home runs--enjoyable reading for me.
Old 10-18-2017
Varsity

Send a message via AIM to NickyTheEar
Favorite Illini: Matt Lackey, I was a year younger than Matt and literally watched his career from kids all the way through college. Also, I was lucky enough to be on a few national teams with him. Matt was always a class act and just a great person to know on and off of the mat.

Non-Illini: Ben Askren, I just always liked him as a wrestler and his outside the box approach to wrestling. He was always fun to watch with his Funky style and has such a good mental approach to the sport. In addition, had the opportunity to meet him a few years ago in St. Louis, and he was very approachable and was just fun to chat with.

Kid who went to HS in Illinois: Where do you even begin with this pick? I am going to go with the kid I followed the most recently which is Lavion Mayes. I saw him win it as a senior in HS and then watched him become a 3-time AA at the NCAA's. Probably one of the more undertalked about guys from Illinois but just tough as nails when it came down to it. Always a guy I was rooting for, and even though he was at Mizzou he represented Illinois well.

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-19-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyTheEar View Post
Favorite Illini: Matt Lackey, I was a year younger than Matt and literally watched his career from kids all the way through college. Also, I was lucky enough to be on a few national teams with him. Matt was always a class act and just a great person to know on and off of the mat.

Non-Illini: Ben Askren, I just always liked him as a wrestler and his outside the box approach to wrestling. He was always fun to watch with his Funky style and has such a good mental approach to the sport. In addition, had the opportunity to meet him a few years ago in St. Louis, and he was very approachable and was just fun to chat with.

Kid who went to HS in Illinois: Where do you even begin with this pick? I am going to go with the kid I followed the most recently which is Lavion Mayes. I saw him win it as a senior in HS and then watched him become a 3-time AA at the NCAA's. Probably one of the more undertalked about guys from Illinois but just tough as nails when it came down to it. Always a guy I was rooting for, and even though he was at Mizzou he represented Illinois well.
Excellent picks! All were interesting and fun to watch. Plus, you had a personal connection. Lackey's foot sweep against boy wonder Troy Letters was awesome. Every few years I go back and watch that match. Cheers!
Old 10-19-2017
Olympian

My all-time favorite non-ILLINI Illinois kid has to be Tom Cruise in Risky Business. Just kidding. Too weird. Must go with Spartak Chino. What a warrior name! Some of you reproductive-age wrestling fans need to get more creative in naming your offspring.

A first name of "Pinfall"?

Some future NCAA Tournament, you'll hear: "On deck on mat two, Jordan Graves of Iowa State and Illinois' Pinfall Jones."
Sponsored Links