Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 12-10-2018
Varsity

The real problem is too many clubs and too many tournaments. IK needs to get a better handle on the number of tournaments on any given weekend.

A.) Why does ANY CLUB with fewer than 30 wrestlers on their roster need to run a tournament?
B.) A specific club on in Orland Park feels the need to run tournaments back to back. Is this for the kids program or to line the pockets of the tournament director and head coach.
C.) Why are people/organizations with no club allowed to create events and run tournaments? Pretty simple, line their pockets.
D.) Support the clubs that actually are building the IK, not the selfish ones tearing it down over greed.
Old 12-10-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSanto View Post
Competition was good but it was very disorganized. Canít stand tourneys where you have nowhere to go other than the main gym. Need to have at least a cafeteria open.

No cafeteria? I wouldn't care if my kid only got one match in the wrong age/weight class.......but no food?
Old 12-10-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBee View Post
My daughter only got 2 match,so I was very upset about it
Most of the kids from El Santo's club only got two matches as well... but that happens sometimes with 8 man brackets when you go 0-2.

But hey, at least his club showed up like they had promised -- even if it was only to go 0-2...

You want to call out anyone for why your daughter only got two matches then call out the clubs who committed to come but then reneged (even after FORCE supported their own club's effort.)

I told FORCE leadership that's what happens when you try to treat people with respect and/or like they're human beings... not asking for deposits.

It seems like some of those "life lessons" everyone's always so enamored of aren't making it through to adulthood -- or maybe they are.

There's a reason why the best clubs continue to support the FORCE tournament and it isn't because of any disorganization.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

ďBeing honest may not get you a lot of friends but itíll always get you the right ones.Ē -- John Lennon
Old 12-10-2018
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallball View Post
The real problem is too many clubs and too many tournaments. IK needs to get a better handle on the number of tournaments on any given weekend.

A.) Why does ANY CLUB with fewer than 30 wrestlers on their roster need to run a tournament?
B.) A specific club on in Orland Park feels the need to run tournaments back to back. Is this for the kids program or to line the pockets of the tournament director and head coach.
C.) Why are people/organizations with no club allowed to create events and run tournaments? Pretty simple, line their pockets.
D.) Support the clubs that actually are building the IK, not the selfish ones tearing it down over greed.
A) If they are able to get the volunteers to run their tournament and they have a track record of running it efficiently, why does it matter if they have 30 kids or less?

B) If they want to run tournaments every weekend and they are doing it efficiently and many clubs are attending, why does it matter? If the tournament director and the club official have a proven track record of running great tournaments and other clubs are very happy to attend. Why does it matter? I know many parents could care less where they go as long as they are in and out in a reasonable amount of time and their kids have a handful of good matches against good competition.

C) And this is the beauty of "free enterprise". If you are able to organize and run a tournament in a timely manner and club directors, coaches and parents are happy to attend? Why should you care? If you would like to attend other tournaments, you have that option.

D) Many of these clubs that are hosting these tournaments, are the ones that support the IK, not "tearing it down" as you suspect.

As a tournament director and club director, my job is to choose the tournaments at the beginning of the season as follows: efficiency, competition, support of local clubs. Keeping in mind (most) parents do not want to travel all over the countryside and they do not want to spend a whole day sitting at a tournament. If I choose to follow that one tournament director because I know he is going to run a tournament according to these characteristics, I am all in.
Old 12-10-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBee View Post
Agreed!! Disappointed in the way things were run.My daughter only got 2 match,so I was very upset about it,I donít understand why they couldnít just combine elite a&b when there were only 3 kids in both. I canít speak for anyone else but we go for the Competition not the hardware.then when I went to see if they could move her up or combine the brackets, I was told to wait for the head coach of the program which I did but he was no where to be found. On a positive note,my son got some good matches. This is not to bad mouth anyone but maybe in the future you guys can do better at making sure these kids get more then 2 matches. Because at the end of the day itís about the kids. Good luck this wrestling season everyone!!!!
Most good tournament directors do their best to follow the 10% rule when building a bracket,do you really want a 52# kid wrestling a68# kid which is probably why it wasn't combined,you also could ask to pay a second registration fee and wrestle in both brackets but that would mean delaying one mat while they waited for you to come over from the other
Old 12-10-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
A) If they are able to get the volunteers to run their tournament and they have a track record of running it efficiently, why does it matter if they have 30 kids or less?

B) If they want to run tournaments every weekend and they are doing it efficiently and many clubs are attending, why does it matter? If the tournament director and the club official have a proven track record of running great tournaments and other clubs are very happy to attend. Why does it matter? I know many parents could care less where they go as long as they are in and out in a reasonable amount of time and their kids have a handful of good matches against good competition.

C) And this is the beauty of "free enterprise". If you are able to organize and run a tournament in a timely manner and club directors, coaches and parents are happy to attend? Why should you care? If you would like to attend other tournaments, you have that option.

D) Many of these clubs that are hosting these tournaments, are the ones that support the IK, not "tearing it down" as you suspect.

As a tournament director and club director, my job is to choose the tournaments at the beginning of the season as follows: efficiency, competition, support of local clubs. Keeping in mind (most) parents do not want to travel all over the countryside and they do not want to spend a whole day sitting at a tournament. If I choose to follow that one tournament director because I know he is going to run a tournament according to these characteristics, I am all in.
Billy Ray, I expect nothing less from someone taking marching orders from JT. I hear him and his henchmen muscle regional and sectional tournaments also. Promoting the sport, increasing club numbers, preparing kids for high school is building the IK. Not just running tournaments.
Old 12-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallball View Post
Billy Ray, I expect nothing less from someone taking marching orders from JT. I hear him and his henchmen muscle regional and sectional tournaments also. Promoting the sport, increasing club numbers, preparing kids for high school is building the IK. Not just running tournaments.
OOOOH! Now this sounds like wallball's got something to say!!!!
Old 12-10-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallball View Post
OOOOH! Now this sounds like wallball's got something to say!!!!
I know right!!!

But I can't hear him with all the soldiers marching.

His name changes but his message is always the same.

Enjoy your pizza party and open mats
Old 12-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
Most of the kids from El Santo's club only got two matches as well... but that happens sometimes with 8 man brackets when you go 0-2.

But hey, at least his club showed up like they had promised -- even if it was only to go 0-2...

You want to call out anyone for why your daughter only got two matches then call out the clubs who committed to come but then reneged (even after FORCE supported their own club's effort.)

I told FORCE leadership that's what happens when you try to treat people with respect and/or like they're human beings... not asking for deposits.

It seems like some of those "life lessons" everyone's always so enamored of aren't making it through to adulthood -- or maybe they are.

There's a reason why the best clubs continue to support the FORCE tournament and it isn't because of any disorganization.
my daughter Morgan Turner only had 2 kids in her bracket. She also didnít go 0-2,I would of much rather her went up a bracket, then stay in a 2 men bracket. I felt like she could handle it!!!period! first of all, her Wrestling in the Novice division wouldnít of been fair ,in my eyes. I wrestled her up for the competition.Again good luck this wrestling season
Old 12-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfc46 View Post
Most good tournament directors do their best to follow the 10% rule when building a bracket,do you really want a 52# kid wrestling a68# kid which is probably why it wasn't combined,you also could ask to pay a second registration fee and wrestle in both brackets but that would mean delaying one mat while they waited for you to come over from the other
The bracket would of been in the 10% rule,my daughter is Morgan Turner,bracket elite A. You could look it up 👀. Iím sure she can handle herself.
Sponsored Links