Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 02-11-2018
Olympian

Prayers requested...

Please take a moment to say a prayer or focus some positive thoughts for a JCA wrestler who was seriously injured over the weekend.

I was devastated to learn he had to be airlifted to the hospital and he had 3-4 hours of surgery to insert two rods to his spine and neck.

Injury was the result of an illegal slam which was called on the wrestler in the third period of a match he was winning 12-6 at the time.

The injured wrestler's coach forfeited the match to avoid the offender's disqualification. The honorable thing to do IMO given the relative chance for a comeback at that point.

Happy to hear it was handled as I believe it should've been.

My prayers and a request for yours for the young man injured doing a sport he and we all love.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 02-11-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
Please take a moment to say a prayer or focus some positive thoughts for a JCA wrestler who was seriously injured over the weekend.

I was devastated to learn he had to be airlifted to the hospital and he had 3-4 hours of surgery to insert two rods to his spine and neck.

Injury was the result of an illegal slam which was called on the wrestler in the third period of a match he was winning 12-6 at the time.

The injured wrestler's coach forfeited the match to avoid the offender's disqualification. The honorable thing to do IMO given the relative chance for a comeback at that point.

Happy to hear it was handled as I believe it should've been.

My prayers and a request for yours for the young man injured doing a sport he and we all love.
That is terrible. Prayers appropriate & forthcoming. I have often noted on this site that the mats should be judo style closed cell foam instead of the open cell foam - huge difference, also for concussions. In fact, the light foldable mats are already used in wrestling (I saw then at an Oak Forest Tourney) but they use the side with a hard plastic layer instead of the softer foam - still probably better. More kids workout & come in stronger, and get MMA influence, change with times.
Old 02-11-2018
Junior Varsity

Honor? My a**. The kid broke the back of another human being doing something that is illegal in the sport and out on the streets of every state in this country. And you're pleased that he wasn't disqualified and kept from advancing. Why am I'm not surprised. P.S. Slams are illegal for a reason. Prayers are with the JCA wrestler.
Old 02-11-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Duncan View Post
Honor? My a**. The kid broke the back of another human being doing something that is illegal in the sport and out on the streets of every state in this country. And you're pleased that he wasn't disqualified and kept from advancing. Why am I'm not surprised. P.S. Slams are illegal for a reason. Prayers are with the JCA wrestler.
We’re you there? Did you believe that the intent was to hurt him. I feel very bad for the JCA kid and wish him a speedy and complete recovery. But sometimes bad things just happen in the nature of solid competition. While it was ruled illegal, I didn’t see anything that I felt was intentional. Prayers to the young man from JCA.
Old 02-11-2018
Junior Varsity

Nope. Wasn't there. Didn't see it. Neither did the OP. But when I heard 4 hours of surgery and rods in the back and neck, it never occurred to me to care whether the other kid was allowed to advance.
Old 02-11-2018
Olympian

I was informed by many that they also felt it was unintentional.

Sorry to co-mingle two topics. But it was refreshing to see a coach do what he felt was the RIGHT thing to do instead of trying to capitalize on (usually much less serious) circumstances.

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 02-11-2018
hawkeye 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Duncan View Post
Nope. Wasn't there. Didn't see it. Neither did the OP. But when I heard 4 hours of surgery and rods in the back and neck, it never occurred to me to care whether the other kid was allowed to advance.
I wasn’t there but lately kids have been trying granby on the mat return improperly and put themselves in a horrible position for this type of injury. Perhaps this is what happened
Old 02-11-2018
Varsity

Prayers to the young man and his family.
Old 02-11-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
I was informed by many that they also felt it was unintentional.

Sorry to co-mingle two topics. But it was refreshing to see a coach do what he felt was the RIGHT thing to do instead of trying to capitalize on (usually much less serious) circumstances.
First and foremost I hope and pray that this young man recovers to live a normal life.

IMO this issue should not be based on intent. Body slam is illegal for a reason. To avoid possible serious injury. This injury is about as serious as you can get. Why do some of you feel this was the right choice by the coach? Because the Bloomington kid was winning? So reward the kid with an injury default win because he was probably going to win anyway and he didnt intend to send him to the hospital? I understand the coach has the power to trump the call of disqualification to injury default. I certainly wasn't there, but I respectfully disagree. Don't misunderstand me, 'I'm not implying he intended to injure, and he probably didn't because the official didn't call a flagrant misconduct which would have disqualified the offending wrestler immediately. However, when a wrestler commits an illegal move that prevents his opponent from recovering within 2 minutes, that offending wrestler is disqualified. He should not advance because he was winning. This injury was way more serious than wins and losses.
Old 02-12-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlr89 View Post

IMO this issue should not be based on intent.
It isn't. But there is great disparity in how this call is made.

Quote:
Body slam is illegal for a reason. To avoid possible serious injury. This injury is about as serious as you can get. Why do some of you feel this was the right choice by the coach?
Because in his estimation (I'm presuming) a tragic accident occurred to a kid and despite the rules prescribing a harsh outcome, he chose to withhold any vindictive feeling he might have had and allow the kid that was likely to win to continue because he was well on his way to it nonetheless.

Additionally, I personally am tired of watching coaches play the "stay down" card when -- unlike this instance -- no real harm was done.

I personally believe that an illegal slam shouldn't disqualify anyone unless their opponent is unable to continue in the tournament themselves. Too many people misusing a rule put in place for safety.

Too many refs' interpretations in play as well.

Quote:
Because the Bloomington kid was winning? So reward the kid with an injury default win because he was probably going to win anyway and he didnt intend to send him to the hospital?
If you want to twist it that way... I believe you're not "rewarding" anyone but, rather, giving him back what he earned.

Quote:
I understand the coach has the power to trump the call of disqualification to injury default. I certainly wasn't there, but I respectfully disagree. Don't misunderstand me, 'I'm not implying he intended to injure, and he probably didn't because the official didn't call a flagrant misconduct which would have disqualified the offending wrestler immediately. However, when a wrestler commits an illegal move that prevents his opponent from recovering within 2 minutes, that offending wrestler is disqualified.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. So you "understand the coach has the power to trump the call" but don't believe he should have such power? I'm inclined to agree with you.

Quote:
He should not advance because he was winning.
I see.

Sponsored Links