Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 02-28-2018

Washington Recruiting

I was at the Fr/So regional on Sunday and saw something that I thought was very unusual.

A wrestler from a Peoria school was competing and had the father of a Washington wrestler sitting in the coaching chair. I thought that this situation was weird because 1) Washington had no wrestlers in the meet and 2) the boys current coach was there.

I asked another coach about this and he told me that the wrestler may be one of Washington's future "move-ins". He explained that it was common knowledge that a high percentage of Washington state placers over the last few years "moved" into Washington after their 8th grade year or while they were in high school. When I asked if the % was 60% he only smiled and pointed up as if that % was low.

He also told me that it was common knowledge that at least 3 8th graders and 3 area high school wrestlers were in the process of or considering "moving" into Washington. This sounds very unusual.

If this is true 1) whoever their "move-in" coordinator is should get a job in college. It sounds like he/she is a great recruiter and 2) shouldn't the IHSA look into this matter? It seems like something unethical or illegal may be taking place.
Old 02-28-2018
Varsity

You know we landed on the moon too
Old 02-28-2018
Varsity

https://youtu.be/-f_DPrSEOEo
Old 02-28-2018

The IHSA doesn't care. As long as the kid lives in the district, what can they really do. I wish the IHSA would do something about it though as it's tough for a public school (that doesn't recruit) to compete at the same level. I have my thoughts that this is probably a contributing factor to why the numbers are decreasing year after year.
Old 02-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrat313 View Post
The IHSA doesn't care. As long as the kid lives in the district, what can they really do. I wish the IHSA would do something about it though as it's tough for a public school (that doesn't recruit) to compete at the same level. I have my thoughts that this is probably a contributing factor to why the numbers are decreasing year after year.
Shouldn't the IHSA care if they are being recruited away from other teams?
Old 02-28-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central IL Observer View Post
Shouldn't the IHSA care if they are being recruited away from other teams?
Yes, but how to prove it? To put it as a DA might, it doesn't matter what I know, it only matters what I can prove.

Here is applicable IHSA by-law. Seems pretty specific. No one officially associated with the school can recruit for athletic purposes.

3.070 RECRUITING OF ATHLETES

In the enforcement of the rule, member schools shall be responsible for any violation committed by any person associated with the school, including principals, assistant principals, coaches, teachers, any other staff members or students, or any organization having any connection to the school.

3.071 Recruitment of students or attempted recruitment of students for athletic purposes is prohibited, regardless of their residence.

Schools who indulge in such practices don't have coaches, adminisitrators, etc actually talk to the recruit. They are smart enough to have parents who are not members of the booster club do the heavy lifting. Then people directly associated with the school will talk about academics, etc.

This is nothing new; accusations about OPRF, Sandburg, and Glenbard North have been on the old AA and now 3A board for years. Proving it is a difficult task, because if you do hit a school up somehow, you better have iron clad cases.

Last edited by ctdad; 02-28-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2018
Junior Varsity

Think back to 2006, during Sandburg's 3 year run...Pretto and Ambrosino suddenly moved out of Lincoln Way East school district and into Sandburg's...
Old 02-28-2018
Varsity

If someone is going to move nothing the state can do. Moving to wrestle is way down on list of things people do. Do they get a ton of move ins? Yes, but at least they moved. Without making this thread a bash fest, we all know schools that do much much worse. If you don't believe me ask any kid who qualifies for Fargo if coaches from other schools talk to them. Happens way more then we think, or want to admit.
Old 02-28-2018

Recruting?

Never heard of it
Old 02-28-2018

Anytime a kid or their parents put the kid in best situation possible for success it’s called recruiting? How about you do something other than cry and complain. There is a secret formula to keep kids interested in your program. Ready for it? Do more and get better! It’s no coincidence that these top perennial schools that you all complain about have the hardest working coaches in the state. If your kids want more than the hour a week open room that you offer don’t be surprised if they go find it.
Sponsored Links