Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 04-09-2019
Varsity

IHSA D1 College Wrestlers

The college 2018-2019 college has come to an end and past IHSA wrestlers performed very well at NCAA tournament. We finished with 6 AA's, and all of them return next year except for Emery Parker. There should be a lot of excitement for next year, as I see it being a big year for our guys. I know it's way too early to speculate where guys will be at next season but for fun and discussion this is how I see next year starting up

Likely to AA:
Austin O'Connor-North Carolina (149)
Larry Early-Old Dominion (157)
Jacob Warner-Iowa (197)
Patrick Brucki-Princenton (197)
Isaiah White-Nebraska (165)
Nathan Traxler-Stanford (197)

Dark Horse to AA:
Austin Gomez-Iowa State (133)
Eric Schultz-Nebraska (197)
Eric Barone-Illinois (157)
Christian Brunner-Purdue (197)
Michael McGee-Old Dominion (125)
Will Lewan-Michigan (157)
Anthony Cassioppi-Iowa (285)
Cam Caffey-Michigan St. (184)

Likely to Qualify:
AJ Jaffe-Harvard (149)
Justin Cardani-Illinois (125) *Im going under the assumption that the Illini will bump everyone up from 125-141
Travis Piotrowski-Illinois (133)
Dylan Duncan-Illinois (141)
Danny Braunagel-Illinois (165/174)
Joey Gunther-Illinois (165/174)
Zac Braunagel-Illinois (184)
Luke Luffman-Illinois (285)
Dack Punke-Missouri (125)
Shayne Oster-Northwestern (149)
Anthony Madrigal-Oklahoma (133)
Jake Keating-Virginia (157)
Louie Hayes-Virginia (133)

Dark Horse to qualify:
Peter Ogunsanya-Army (149)
Markus Hartman-Army (157)
Trey Keeley-Brown (125)
Holden Heller-Hofstra (149)
Sage Heller-Hofstra (174)
Matt Wroblewski-Illinois (197)
Fernie Silva-Indiana (149)
Joey Melendez-North Carolina (125)
Jack Jessen-Northwestern (184)
Tim Young-Old Dominion (197)
Kendall Coleman-Purdue (149/157)

Starters:
Jared Van Vleet-Air Force (125/133)
Randy Meneweather-Air Force (174)
Zach Krause-Brown (149)
Jake Lanning-Buffalo (174)
Michael Jaffe-Harvard (125/133)
Peter Ferraro-Harvard (165/174)
Max Ihry-NIU (197)
Savion Haywood-Old Dominion (133)
Kenan Carter-Old Dominion (149)
Sergio Villalobos-SIUE (184)

Question Marks:
Alex Madrigal-George Mason (141) He was a transfer this pass year and never wrestled. Is he still wrestling?
Jason Renteria-Iowa (133/141) The Iowa boards are penciling in Murin as the starter next year because of academic issues. Hope we see him wrestle again.
Jamie Hernandez-North Carolina (141/149) Can he find a spot in the lineup?
Anthony Cheloni-NIU Think he got injured mid-year. Will he be back healthy?
Yahya Thomas-Northwestern (141/149) He was well on his way to be NCAA qualifier as a freshman last year at 141 but seems the weight cut was too hard for him and he couldn't beat out Oster. He's a talented kid, so I hope he finds a way into the lineup somehow.
Kordell Norfleet-Arizona State (184) Started the year but was done by December. Did he take a red-shirt year or get injured?

Top Incoming Freshman

1.Peter Christensen-Wisconsin (197)
2.Abe Assad-Iowa (184)
3.Jake Stiles-Oklahoma (157)
4.Luke Luffman-Illinois (285)
5.Trevor Chumbley-Northwestern (149)
6.Matt Ortiz-Indiana (165/174)
7.Jace Punke-Missouri (197)
8.Matt Ramos-Minnesota (125)
7.Baylor Fernandes-Minnesota (157/165)
9.Alex Cramer-Old Dominion (165/174)
10.Noah Surtin-Missouri (125/133)
11.Anthony Molton-Old Dominion (125/133)
12.Travis Ford-Melton-Purdue (133)
13.Eddie Bolivar-Indiana (141/149)
14.Blah Dahnweih-North Carolina (197/285)
15.Nick Terimini-Old Dominion (141/149)

Last edited by MslWrestler119; 04-11-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2019
Varsity

Didn't see Real Woods on the list? Based on open tournaments, I think he's got to be in the same group as Will Lewan / Austin Gomez.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Louie Hayes back at 125 now that Mueller is graduated.
Old 04-09-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyourtoes View Post
Also wouldn't be surprised to see Louie Hayes back at 125 now that Mueller is graduated.
Mueller was only a Junior this year. And, from what I have heard from reliable sources, Louie does not want to go back down to 125.
Old 04-09-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyourtoes View Post
Didn't see Real Woods on the list? Based on open tournaments, I think he's got to be in the same group as Will Lewan / Austin Gomez.

Real Woods is no doubt an All-American threat next year. I know my post says Past IHSA wrestlers but I was only referring to wrestlers that their hometown is in Illinois. Woods hometown is in New Mexico, and wouldn’t feel right claiming him as an Illinois boy. Even though wrestlers like DJ Shannon, Jacob Kaminski, and Vinny Zerban go to high schools in different states, they are still products of the Illinois wrestling community and hometowns reside in Illinois. I wish we could claim him because I think he’s going to do some great things at Stanford.
Old 04-10-2019
Kickerboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MslWrestler119 View Post
Real Woods is no doubt an All-American threat next year. I know my post says Past IHSA wrestlers but I was only referring to wrestlers that their hometown is in Illinois. Woods hometown is in New Mexico, and wouldn’t feel right claiming him as an Illinois boy. Even though wrestlers like DJ Shannon, Jacob Kaminski, and Vinny Zerban go to high schools in different states, they are still products of the Illinois wrestling community and hometowns reside in Illinois. I wish we could claim him because I think he’s going to do some great things at Stanford.
Woods lived in IL and wrestled here as part of the IHSA. You missed Christian Brunner from Purdue as AA threat.
Old 04-11-2019
Double stud

I so wish there was a kosher way for me to comment here.

^^^^ I guess that was as good as it gets.
Old 04-11-2019
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Turban View Post
I so wish there was a kosher way for me to comment here.

^^^^ I guess that was as good as it gets.
Sometimes we have to bite our tongues.
Old 04-11-2019
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MslWrestler119 View Post
Your post and your list but IMO IHSA alum are more "Illinois wrestlers" than kids that grew up here but wrestled hs out of state.

Real Woods is more of an Illinois wrestling product than Devin Kane who grew up here and wrestled HS in GA before making the round of 12 as a redshirt freshman last month.
Old 04-11-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Your post and your list but IMO IHSA alum are more "Illinois wrestlers" than kids that grew up here but wrestled hs out of state.

Real Woods is more of an Illinois wrestling product than Devin Kane who grew up here and wrestled HS in GA before making the round of 12 as a redshirt freshman last month.
I guess when I was making my list I had in mind the articles that Flowrestling and other wrestling publications write up about NCAA qualifiers from each state and heat maps of where the top wrestling beds are. Real Woods lists his hometown as Albuquerque, New Mexico on the Stanford wrestling site, so I think the tally will go to NM when he qualifies next year. Again, this is no slight to Woods, I for one think he places next year on his way of becoming a 4x All-American. This will give Montini their first D1 NCAA All-American, with hopefully many more to come with Stiles, Christensen, Ragusin, Lewan and company.
Old 04-22-2019
22 more years left.

Wow that’s an awesome list and info.

Add Ronald Tucker @ Northern Colorado as an Immediate Starter Too. He Wil qualify too.
Sponsored Links