Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-25-2019
lauden swain lauden swain is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,841
HS Rule Changes 2019-2020 (NFHS)

INDIANAPOLIS, IN -- In an ongoing effort to minimize the risk of injury in high school wrestling, additional time will be given to evaluate head and neck injuries when an appropriate health-care professional is present at a match.

In addition to the 1.5 minutes of injury time allotted for each wrestler, an appropriate health-care professional will have a maximum of five minutes to evaluate injuries to the head and neck involving the cervical column and/or nervous systems. At that point, the wrestler would have to continue or default the match.

This revision in injury time in Rule 8-2-4 is one of 17 rules changes recommended by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Wrestling Rules Committee at its April 3-5 meeting in Indianapolis. All recommendations were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

A second injury to the head and neck involving cervical column and/or central nervous system in the same match shall require the wrestler to default the match. If an appropriate health-care professional is not present, all injuries to the head and neck would be covered by the same timeframe as other injuries. In the case of a wrestler exhibiting signs of a concussion, the individual would be removed from the match and could not return to competition in the absence of an appropriate health-care professional.

In another change geared to increase the level of offensive wrestling, stalling has been removed from the progressive penalty chart and will be penalized separately. In Rule 8-1-4, the first penalty for stalling will be a warning. The opponent will be awarded one match point on the second and third offenses, two match points and choice of position on the next restart for the fourth offense. A fifth offense for stalling will result in disqualification.

"By removing stalling from the progressive penalty sequence, officials will be able to penalize wrestlers more freely without complicating the matter when it is combined with other penalties," said Elliot Hopkins, director of sports and student services and liaison to the Wrestling Rules Committee. "Removing the stalling call from the penalty progression will allow officials more freedom to call stalling earlier, more consistently and without hesitation when they feel it is warranted."

Changes were made in several rules dealing with uniform requirements in an effort to ensure that male and female wrestlers are properly attired on the mat during competition.

All contestants wearing a one-piece singlet shall wear a suitable undergarment that completely covers the buttocks and groin area. Female wrestlers wearing a one-piece singlet shall wear a form-fitted compression undergarment that completely covers their breasts.

In other uniform and equipment changes, if shoelaces come undone, the penalty is an automatic stalling call. In Rule 4-2-1, hair-treatment items that are hard and/or abrasive, such as beads, bobby pins, barrettes, pins and hair clips, shall not be permitted. A legal hair-controlled device such as a rubber band shall be secured so as not to come out readily during wrestling.

"Hair that is manipulated poses no threat to either wrestler," Hopkins said. "It is neither abrasive nor cumbersome. However, physical hair treatments do present a risk to either wrestler due to the hardness, texture or abrasiveness, and should not be allowed."

In other changes, Rule 7-3-1 now states that "when the referee feels that either wrestler has failed to make every effort to stay inbounds during an imminent scoring situation, the offending wrestler shall be penalized for fleeing the mat. . ."

"This change allows the referee to only apply the technical violation call of fleeing when the action is related specifically to a scoring situation," Hopkins said. "All other types of leaving the wrestling area as a means of avoiding wrestling would fall under the rule of stalling."

According to the 2017-18 NFHS High School Athletics Participation Survey, wrestling is the seventh-most popular sport for boys with 245,564 participants in 10,775 schools. In addition, there were 16,562 girls who participated in wrestling in 2,351 schools.
__________________
"It's not the six minutes, it's what happens in those six minutes"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-28-2019
Mainefan Mainefan is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Des Plaines
Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauden swain View Post
INDIANAPOLIS, IN -- In an ongoing effort to minimize the risk of injury in high school wrestling, additional time will be given to evaluate head and neck injuries when an appropriate health-care professional is present at a match.

In addition to the 1.5 minutes of injury time allotted for each wrestler, an appropriate health-care professional will have a maximum of five minutes to evaluate injuries to the head and neck involving the cervical column and/or nervous systems. At that point, the wrestler would have to continue or default the match.

This revision in injury time in Rule 8-2-4 is one of 17 rules changes recommended by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Wrestling Rules Committee at its April 3-5 meeting in Indianapolis. All recommendations were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

A second injury to the head and neck involving cervical column and/or central nervous system in the same match shall require the wrestler to default the match. If an appropriate health-care professional is not present, all injuries to the head and neck would be covered by the same timeframe as other injuries. In the case of a wrestler exhibiting signs of a concussion, the individual would be removed from the match and could not return to competition in the absence of an appropriate health-care professional.

In another change geared to increase the level of offensive wrestling, stalling has been removed from the progressive penalty chart and will be penalized separately. In Rule 8-1-4, the first penalty for stalling will be a warning. The opponent will be awarded one match point on the second and third offenses, two match points and choice of position on the next restart for the fourth offense. A fifth offense for stalling will result in disqualification.

"By removing stalling from the progressive penalty sequence, officials will be able to penalize wrestlers more freely without complicating the matter when it is combined with other penalties," said Elliot Hopkins, director of sports and student services and liaison to the Wrestling Rules Committee. "Removing the stalling call from the penalty progression will allow officials more freedom to call stalling earlier, more consistently and without hesitation when they feel it is warranted."

Changes were made in several rules dealing with uniform requirements in an effort to ensure that male and female wrestlers are properly attired on the mat during competition.

All contestants wearing a one-piece singlet shall wear a suitable undergarment that completely covers the buttocks and groin area. Female wrestlers wearing a one-piece singlet shall wear a form-fitted compression undergarment that completely covers their breasts.

In other uniform and equipment changes, if shoelaces come undone, the penalty is an automatic stalling call. In Rule 4-2-1, hair-treatment items that are hard and/or abrasive, such as beads, bobby pins, barrettes, pins and hair clips, shall not be permitted. A legal hair-controlled device such as a rubber band shall be secured so as not to come out readily during wrestling.

"Hair that is manipulated poses no threat to either wrestler," Hopkins said. "It is neither abrasive nor cumbersome. However, physical hair treatments do present a risk to either wrestler due to the hardness, texture or abrasiveness, and should not be allowed."

In other changes, Rule 7-3-1 now states that "when the referee feels that either wrestler has failed to make every effort to stay inbounds during an imminent scoring situation, the offending wrestler shall be penalized for fleeing the mat. . ."

"This change allows the referee to only apply the technical violation call of fleeing when the action is related specifically to a scoring situation," Hopkins said. "All other types of leaving the wrestling area as a means of avoiding wrestling would fall under the rule of stalling."

According to the 2017-18 NFHS High School Athletics Participation Survey, wrestling is the seventh-most popular sport for boys with 245,564 participants in 10,775 schools. In addition, there were 16,562 girls who participated in wrestling in 2,351 schools.
Please explain more the change in the stalling rule. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-2019
refsforfun refsforfun is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 437
Stalling rule change

Basically,

Stalling is now a separate progression toward disqualification. Previous to this change it was all together.

Example: Warning stalling, locked hands (1 pt), stalling (1 pt), unsportsmanlike conduct (2 pts), stalling (DQ). With the new rule here is the same progression: Warning stalling, locked hands (1 pt), stalling (1 pt), unsportsmanlike conduct (1 pt) stalling (1 pt). For a DQ you would now need two other penalties or two more stalling penalties. So this could happen: Warning stalling, locked hands (1 pt), stalling 91 pt), unsportsmanlike conduct (1 pt), stalling (1 pt), stalling (2 pts), full nelson (2 pts) NOW any other penalty for anything will be a DQ. This will be difficult to keep track of during a match with lots of action, so refs will really need to be on their toes.
__________________
wrestlingfan
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-29-2019
NickyTheEar NickyTheEar is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Edison Park), Illinois
Posts: 384
Send a message via AIM to NickyTheEar
Quote:
Originally Posted by refsforfun View Post
Basically,

Stalling is now a separate progression toward disqualification. Previous to this change it was all together.

Example: Warning stalling, locked hands (1 pt), stalling (1 pt), unsportsmanlike conduct (2 pts), stalling (DQ). With the new rule here is the same progression: Warning stalling, locked hands (1 pt), stalling (1 pt), unsportsmanlike conduct (1 pt) stalling (1 pt). For a DQ you would now need two other penalties or two more stalling penalties. So this could happen: Warning stalling, locked hands (1 pt), stalling 91 pt), unsportsmanlike conduct (1 pt), stalling (1 pt), stalling (2 pts), full nelson (2 pts) NOW any other penalty for anything will be a DQ. This will be difficult to keep track of during a match with lots of action, so refs will really need to be on their toes.
Why does this look like a logistical nightmare for people at the scorers table. Got a feeling matches in the post season will have some interesting conversations at the table.
__________________
If you're going through hell, keep going

- Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-29-2019
refsforfun refsforfun is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 437
Stalling rule change

And don't forget these could be happening for both wrestlers! Hopefully no one is false starting because that adds points but is not part of the sequence either. With the new rule change you could have 8 penalty points in a match and not be disqualified!
__________________
wrestlingfan
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-29-2019
Mainefan Mainefan is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Des Plaines
Posts: 2,299
I am assuming the purpose of this rule is to encourage refs to call stalling more frequently, especially early in the match as opposed to waiting till the 3rd period.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-29-2019
PapaBearSLIM's Avatar
PapaBearSLIM PapaBearSLIM is offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wakanda
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyTheEar View Post
Why does this look like a logistical nightmare for people at the scorers table. Got a feeling matches in the post season will have some interesting conversations at the table.
It actually more simple with the only changes are that stalling isn't on that progression list to DQ and stalling has its own progression to DQ.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-29-2019
gulach gulach is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 165
Should we have more or less stalling calls?

I hope this rule makes the ref even less noticeable in a match.

Head Table
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-30-2019
Louiedean Louiedean is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 122
More Consistent - Hopefully

I hope this leads to a more consistent stall call. It should allow stalling to be called earlier in the match as said before without fear of having to DQ due to false start.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-02-2019
DBCooper DBCooper is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louiedean View Post
I hope this leads to a more consistent stall call. It should allow stalling to be called earlier in the match as said before without fear of having to DQ due to false start.
False starts donít cause a DQ. They have no impact on the penalty chart. You could have two cautions and then false start 15 times in a row and only then would the match end due to technical fall.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.