Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 06-23-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
Dustin Plott has a bright future, however, the officiating was the only difference in this match.

It's tough to beat an Oklahoma team in Oklahoma was what it looked like to me.

You could wrestle the exact same Assad/Plott match move for move and come out with Assad winning under different eyes.

I know it happens, but in another match, a move which was scored 4 red completely across from the table which overruled and talked the mat official into 4 blue was just another in a series of head-scratchers that we'll sometimes be treated to in international style scoring.

The announcers cackling and literally saying, "we all hope to see Illinois lose" was just some more endured special-ness.

If personal circumstances didn't prevent Oklahoma-bound Jake Stiles from being on the team, we would all be double-chest thumping...

The chest wrap in that match. Used to be that a chest wrap always scored. Starting with Yawny/Rutherford, I'm not so sure anymore. I thought I could (pretty) confidently score these matches, but I'm coming up with different scores. (And in Yawny/Rutherford, I wanted both of them to lose, so I was impartial).

The ILLINOIS kids still deserve to thump their chests.

GO ILLINOIS!!!
Old 06-23-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
The chest wrap in that match. Used to be that a chest wrap always scored. Starting with Yawny/Rutherford, I'm not so sure anymore. I thought I could (pretty) confidently score these matches, but I'm coming up with different scores. (And in Yawny/Rutherford, I wanted both of them to lose, so I was impartial).

The ILLINOIS kids still deserve to thump their chests.

GO ILLINOIS!!!
You saw what I -- and every other person on hand who wasn't rooting against Illinois -- saw.

Boys did a great job. There's a reason why so many root against us. Mostly it's because they're not us.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 06-23-2019
Varsity

Thanks for the context, you hate to see officiating make the difference, but those 2 guys will surely face each other in the future so might be different next time.
Old 06-24-2019
hawkeye 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
I didn’t get to watch it but that sounds like a great dual, looking at the results I see Dustin Plott future Okie State guy beat Abe Assad 4-2, guess you could say that one made the difference.
Plott is a great wrestler and makes it to the finals of everything
Old 06-24-2019
Varsity

There weer more than a few calls that were questionable and the only consistent theme was they all went against Illinois. I guess that is something we should get used to.
Old 06-24-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft goright View Post
There weer more than a few calls that were questionable and the only consistent theme was they all went against Illinois. I guess that is something we should get used to.
Furthermore, in at least 1 out of every 2 matches, the mat official and table officials would huddle for 3-5 minutes in the midst of the match to try and get a call straight. Simply unacceptable. Simplify the rules if it takes you that long to figure out scoring for any of them. We've done this so many times over just the course of when I've been paying attention (relative newcomer) but there's is more work to be done if we ever want this to be palatable to anyone except hardcore wrestleheads. At a minimum, it is unfair to participants and subject to bias.

By virtue of the "live mic" I was able to listen in one several of these conversations over the course of four days. The blatant manipulation was so evident. When you heard the same table person rooting for an Illinois opponent, it became much clearer.

I kid you not. There were several table personnel who were vocal in their interest in seeing Illinois opponents prevailing. Amazing.

The haughty snottiness with which some of these folks conduct themselves just leaves you scratching your head.

It's like someone said, "Gee this sport is hard" and the tableworkers responded "Hold my beer."

I've said it many times. I've met the best of people in this sport AND the worst of people in it as well.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 06-25-2019
Olympian

Luke Odom made the Greco National Duals All-Tournament team. Congratulations! All that hard work is paying off. There were a lot of ILLINOIS kids on that All Tournament team, including a fellow named Chad Bellis.

I think I wrestled with his father and uncle. Small world!

GO ILLINOIS!!!
Old 06-26-2019
Olympian

And Luke Odom made the Freestyle National Duals All Tournament Team! Wow! He finished undefeated in both styles. That's an extremely impressive performance for a junior in high school. As a verbal commitment, his allegiance to the ILLINI wasn't mentioned in the articles, but he's orange and blue.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 06-26-2019
Varsity

Wrestling is one of the worst sports in regards to the tribal attitude towards their own. Everyone think their region, era of time, etc is the best. Look no further than the ChiefIllini clown. He truly knows too much about wrestling to be this delusional, but if it is not Illinois then it is not as good. This attitude is prevalent all throughout the sport. We truly have the dumbest fan base of all sports.
Old 06-27-2019
Olympian

D.J. Shannon Sighting!

Great to see that D.J. Shannon is in CHURBTOWN and having a blast! I get the feeling he will have a special career as an ILLINI. After spending a year in the Elite Accelerator Program (EAP), he could be nails and could fight for a starting spot as early as this season or take a redshirt year. Can't wait to see him in the O&B!

We should also join together to welcome vacuum to the lineup.

For more of Coach Poeta's twitter feed, check it out. Don't be shy.

GO ILLINI!!!
Sponsored Links