Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Non-Wrestling > Non-Wrestling Talk

Old 08-18-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Bandini View Post
When they outlawed alcohol between 1920 and 1933 it was because people were drinking much more hard alcohol than most drinker do now. Just because people kill less people now doesn't mean we are not still murdering a ton of people. Just less. There is no doubt the US look like dopes on this issue compared to other countries. You can find all kinds of charts but everyone knows this mass shooting thing is mainly a US thing. You can compare it to car accidents all you want but those are accidents. If the NRA is such experts, why can't they solve this. OK, mental illness - the NRA can pay to fix mental illness. Their portion will be paid when the shooting thing comes in line with other countries. People will appreciate the NRA for that. Like car owners pay gas tax, tolls, car stickers etc. Sounds like a plan. Otherwise blaming mental health = doing nothing. Going to be a some higher number mass shooting for sure because they get a better plan each time, its almost a challenge. Conspiracy theories definitely are not helping in the mental health regard either. I realize it is the cost of freedom, but we should at least be going after Indiana, everybody knows most of the illegal guns in Chicago come from Indiana. I don't care about this issue much, but it is interesting how Trump will actually state some common sense on this one issue, but then walk it back when the NRA handlers get to him. The background checks won't make much difference anyway, its just about money.

https://www.google.com/search?q=our+...kmQNC2lCpMUSM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=our+...8f5fzr6NGWlJM:
Old 08-19-2019
Olympian

BROTHERS AND SISTERS, I rise to speak to you tonight on a very important topic: You. I fear for you. I fear for your soul. I fear for your mind. I fear for your loved ones, neighbors, community and country. I fear that you don’t own your guns, your guns own you.

Although there is this fear in my heart, my flock, there is also love, a great beautiful love, because we have made much progress in these few short days.

I feel there is somebody out there in the audience; his name begins with an “A” or a “C” or it could begin with a "D" or an "E" or perhaps with an “H,” “J,” “M,” “S,” “T” or “W,” and that man is about to put his guns onto our collection plate. Your sacred offering will be repaid to you a thousand-fold, Brother! Salvation through the Church of NO GUNS ALLOWED awaits.

For the rest of you, please send one dollar to Happy Dude, 345 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield 55555. Your destiny demands it!

It has been foretold. Now, onto our Sermon, which is called …

THE SELFISHNESS SPECTRUM

There is a Ying; there is a Yang. They occupy your soul. The Ying is your empathy. The Yang is your selfishness. Or, it could be the other way around. I don’t know for sure which is which. The fact that there are two opposing forces gripping you at this minute, though, cannot be contested.

Our duty as humans, as a society, as a civilization, is to fan the flames of empathy while stomping out the last embers of selfishness. How do you recognize selfishness? I have prepared a spectrum for your illumination, Brothers and Sisters:

1. You are supporting an industry that has as its business the manufacture of death.

2. Suicide. You can expect more than 20,000 each year with guns. Studies show that states that have strict gun safety laws have much fewer suicides. Studies show that households with a gun are 4x more likely to have a suicide than gun-less households.

3. Your family could use the companionship of a dog. You can take shots to get over pet allergies. Now, there is also a vaccine. On the other hand, there is no shot or vaccine that will cure a bullet to the brain or heart.

4. Historically, there have been spikes in gun sales after mass shootings. Why is that? I posit that one reason is because of selfishness. Gun owners fear that legislatures will finally wake up and do something about lax gun laws. So, gun owners feel they need to act quickly to get theirs.

5. Driving while texting versus owning a gun. There's a big difference between the two: When you do the former, you aren't supporting the whole "Driving While Texting" culture.

Friends, my reasons will continue in the next post …
Old 08-19-2019
Olympian

(Cont. Reasons to Banish Selfishness)

6. The fear of the United Nations or the American Government creating an Armageddon is incredible, and I mean "incredible" in the bad way, or it could be in the sarcastic way. In either case, the notion is simply a selfish excuse to continue a hobby or cos-play. Other people have had similar fantasies, including Charles Manson, David Koresh and this fellow:

7. Somehow you ran your version of a cost-benefit analysis and concluded that a gun in your house was the smart play. Given all the dangers to yourself, your family and your neighborhood, and given the increased likelihood of suicide, the factor that was most important in this cost-benefit analysis was actually selfishness.

8. Your child is the love of your life, right? I mean, you would never do anything to harm a hair on that little rascal's head. That curious little wonder will one day get drunk for the first time, may experiment with drugs. He might even get depressed over school or a girl or a bully or a boy. Moreover, if you tell him not to do something, will he still do it?

9. The purchase you made for your hobby or cos-play also brought America a new phenomenon! The guy walking around the supermarket with an AR-15 slung on his shoulder. He's your brother. I don't know him. I can't identify with him. The NRA and the gun manufacturers--powerful because of your support or purchases--can make it so guns are allowed in National Parks, checked onto Amtrak trains, open-carried into supermarkets, concealed-carried in some airports. Brought into taverns. Onto college campuses. In schools. Around playgrounds. At church.

10. Stamp collecting. If you collected stamps, you'd be supporting the whole "Mailing Letters to Family and Friends" Culture.

11. You have decided that hundreds of thousands of murders, even more suicides, millions of wounds, innumerable graveside services and hospital vigils are less important than your hobby and right to be selfish.

12. While you are still thinking about all the cool fun you will have with your gun that you just purchased, the cash register rang. Whether you like it or not, the NRA will take credit for your purchase. Your purchase, in turn, allows the NRA to purchase lawmakers:

The man seated in the picture is Governor Jeb Bush. He has just signed the Florida "Stand your ground" law during a private ceremony. The only private citizen allowed in to watch the ceremony--she's basically on Governor Bush's right elbow--is Marion Hammer. She works for the NRA to get state and federal lawmakers to enact laws that lead to more gun deaths and injuries.

So let us bow our heads in Prayer: Dear Gun, please leave our Sisters and Brothers alone. GET THEE BEHIND THEM. I COMMAND YOU! By the power invested in me by the forgotten clause in the Second Amendment (the "well-regulated" part), I COMMAND THEE. Never again show your sultry polished metal face in their homes or workplaces, you deceiver, you liar, you fraud. Begone! In the name of the Church of No Guns, I say--No Guns.
Old 08-19-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
To the omniscient and omnipotent Reverend Illinewek,

As a faithful believer in your sermon I call on you to make the sinners repent! I would say, forgive them father because they know not what they do. But actually, they know exactly what they’re doing . It is you who shall cast a light to fill their darkness. I will be there Sunday morning. How can I donate? We are going to need a lot of coinage to compete with the NRA! Op
Thank you, oldpioneer! But it's not me; it's the spirit. The spirit of NO GUNS enters my body, and I start typing in fonts. Then, for a time, I'll roll around on the floor, usually to practice a gramby, but sometimes just because the spirit moves me. When the fever takes you, you do exactly what that fever wants.

Go without guns, my Son.
Old 08-19-2019
Olympian

Reverend Illinewek, Like Jesus, you are but a man. But your words in miracles make it clear that the great spirit has put you on this earth to do great things. I go on to this day armed only with your words of wisdom. Dial shall not need any weapons but that.
Old 08-19-2019
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
I have squirrels in my backyard and they are really pesky. Is it legal for me to buy a bazooka?
Bazookas are long gone. I would suggest an AT-4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZxCtAaXivM

Mack

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 08-19-2019
Sergeant Major

Time to buy another gun!! This is what I am looking for my next purchase:

https://www.springfield-armory.com/s...-308-features/

Mack

Old 08-19-2019
Sergeant Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
When they outlawed alcohol between 1920 and 1933 it was because people were drinking much more hard alcohol than most drinker do now. Just because people kill less people now doesn't mean we are not still murdering a ton of people. Just less. There is no doubt the US look like dopes on this issue compared to other countries. You can find all kinds of charts but everyone knows this mass shooting thing is mainly a US thing. You can compare it to car accidents all you want but those are accidents. If the NRA is such experts, why can't they solve this. OK, mental illness - the NRA can pay to fix mental illness. Their portion will be paid when the shooting thing comes in line with other countries. People will appreciate the NRA for that. Like car owners pay gas tax, tolls, car stickers etc. Sounds like a plan. Otherwise blaming mental health = doing nothing. Going to be a some higher number mass shooting for sure because they get a better plan each time, its almost a challenge. Conspiracy theories definitely are not helping in the mental health regard either. I realize it is the cost of freedom, but we should at least be going after Indiana, everybody knows most of the illegal guns in Chicago come from Indiana. I don't care about this issue much, but it is interesting how Trump will actually state some common sense on this one issue, but then walk it back when the NRA handlers get to him. The background checks won't make much difference anyway, its just about money.

https://www.google.com/search?q=our+...kmQNC2lCpMUSM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=our+...8f5fzr6NGWlJM:
The NRA actually donates money to suicide prevention organizations, also it's not just Indiana...a LOT of straw purchases take place here in Illinois. The city of Chicago, all upset when the handgun ban was struck down in DC v Heller and then Concealed Carry became a reality made the zoning ordinance for gun shops impossible to exist in the city limits...but now they are bitching because straw purchases are taking place in the suburbs and other states...making their ordinance a complete failure.

Old 08-19-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post

So let us bow our heads in Prayer: Dear Gun, please leave our Sisters and Brothers alone. GET THEE BEHIND THEM. I COMMAND YOU! By the power invested in me by the forgotten clause in the Second Amendment (the "well-regulated" part), I COMMAND THEE. Never again show your sultry polished metal face in their homes or workplaces, you deceiver, you liar, you fraud. Begone! In the name of the Church of No Guns, I say--No Guns.
I would give you my guns, but first you are going to need to go through a background check with a 50 year waiting period, find a dealer that can broker the transaction and show me your FOID card...we should get started now.

Uh...do you know that the gun can't hear you? A gun is just a tool, like any tool, it can be used for good or evil, but it can't do anything on its own. If churches were doing their job on Sunday people would not have so much evil in their hearts.

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

You really have to ignore every thing that you learned in English class to twist that sentence into meaning that only the government can have guns.

At the time that was written "well-regulated" meant well-armed, and a militia was defined as " all able-bodied men of certain ages were members of the militia, depending on the respective states rule"

"Every sentence must have a subject, which answers the question “Who is the star of this sentence?” In other words, what is this sentence about? The purpose of diagramming sentences is to show exactly that: what is the subject, what is the verb, and what is the relationship of every other word to them.

Once it’s written, it’s easy to see that the subject of this sentence is not a militia. As the title, Bill of Rights, implies, this is a description of a right, in this case the right to keep and bear arms. Whose right? The people’s right. Not the militia’s right. It’s the right of the people.

And what will happen to this right of the people to keep and bear arms? (This is the action end of the sentence, which grammarians call the “predicate” but the rest of us simply call the verb.) According to the sentence, it shall be infringed. And how much shall it be infringed? In the immortal words of Wayne and Garth: “NOT”.

But wait, I hear you cry. Isn’t there something in the second amendment about a militia? There is indeed. Here it is:

Is it, as this person seems to think, the main part of the sentence? Can’t be. Look at the verb, “being” — it has the -ing ending (making it what we English teachers call the present participle), which is great if it’s part of a progressive verb, but otherwise means it can’t function as the main verb of a sentence. Therefore the “militia clause” cannot exist as a sentence in its own right, but merely to accentuate and clarify the point being made in the words that follow.

I crafted a parallel sentence to illustrate this relationship: “The weather being especially fine that day, Henry elected to leave home without an umbrella.” Who is the subject of this sentence? The weather? The day? No, of course not. This is a sentence about someone named Henry (whom I just decided at random is a woman) and her choice to keep her umbrella home, AND NOTHING ELSE. The part about the weather being nice? That explains why she made her decision, AND NOTHING ELSE.

Same thing with the militia clause. It explains why the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, AND NOTHING ELSE.

Imagine for a moment that you are that tyrannical federal government the Framers so feared. What right would you take away from the people to ensure your control, provided that the Second Amendment wasn’t there to stop you? In the absence of a Bill of Rights, would such a dictator say “You can keep your guns for hunting. You can keep your guns for protection, whether from burglars or bears, but just don’t let me catch you organizing a state militia”? How likely is that? Isn’t it easier to imagine that you, a power-hungry despot, would like so many tyrants before and since, say “Give me your guns. Then, when you’ve got nothing to shoot back with, you can organize militias to your hearts’ content”?

Obviously — I mean, OBVIOUSLY — this is not intended as a guarantee of a state militia. In a frontier nation facing unknown, and unknowable, dangers, a people’s militia was a given. A collective need for self-defense was a given. It was the individual right to keep and bear arms for which a skeptical population demanded assurances, and the Second Amendment provided that explicit guarantee.

I find this hard to believe, but there are actually some who claim that the actual text of the Bill, employing 18th Century rules of punctuation, argues for the collective (militia) interpretation of the question. In particular, there are (by our standards) two extra commas in the sentence, which they claim completely alters the meaning.

To be fair, they almost have a point. Clarifying information, set off by a pair of commas, can be inserted between a subject and predicate (as I just did in this sentence. Did you catch that?) In that case, the following construction would be absolutely clear: A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, shall not be infringed. It is now undeniably the militia which must not be infringed.

EXCEPT … what about the right of the people to keep and bear arms? What happened to that clause? If we re-insert it, and remove the part about “being necessary”, here is what we have instead: A well regulated militia, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Too much information! Two noun phrases are now competing for the same predicate. In order to accept this theory, the gungrabbers proposing it must eliminate the actual subject, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, from the sentence.

Actually, that part doesn’t surprise me. I’m a conservative; when I read the Bill of Rights, I ignore the commas and look at the meaning of the words. A liberal, on the other hand, suggests that we ignore the words and study the commas."

https://www.nolanchart.com/article10...-it-wrong-html
Old 08-20-2019
Olympian

BROTHERS AND SISTERS, don't be lured by the temptations of the gun, that serpent, that evil seductress, that false god, for the price of gun is fail:

Sponsored Links