Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by waahooo View Post
5 Seniors from this year's team are going on to wrestle in college. What are you getting at?
I mean what I say, but I don't always say what I mean.

Yes, impressive, I agree. It is an admirable and worthy accomplishment

It takes an incredible sense of self-worth to succeed at the next level. I've met a lot of counterfactual characters who are just as good as I am at wrestling, "if only" they went to Montini or Iowa, or had this or that opportunity...

Izzy was a great high school wrestler. I wasn't that great. But I didn't listen to anyone who would have told me that. I knew my own worth BEFORE I won anything.

Last edited by miketamillow; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:19 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Obi-Wan Kenobi

A whole thread?

Holding him responsible for the on mat success/failures/otherwise of kids he no longer coaches as they handle the demands of competing at the next level while transitioning into adulthood under various environments/circumstances he doesn't control?

Not so wild guess here but you would be the same guy poopooing IKWF coaches taking credit for some 17 year old having success in the IHSA. I would also be the same guy kinda proud that OPRF leads the IHSA in alumni that went on to snag NCAA D1 AAs.
But keep it in perspective. When I'm not pumped full of adrenaline during competition I've actually done a lotta reflecting.

Invite him to a bridge down by the river or let it go.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Holding him responsible for the on mat success/failures/otherwise of kids he no longer coaches as they handle the demands of competing at the next level while transitioning into adulthood under various environments/circumstances he doesn't control?
No, not exactly. And yes, to an extent - because it comes down to vision and community. Am I my brother's keeper? God says, yes, yes you are. If you can't do that job you will be banished to walk the earth aimlessly.

Coach Powell instills self-worth in the athletes who have worked under him, and pushes them to attain success at the next level, as well as welcoming them back as leaders to the next generation. That's why the Dardanes brothers, Ellis Coleman, Sam Brooks, Kamal Bey, etc have gone above and beyond. I personally know and have wrestled with each of them. It's the difference between a good coach and a great coach.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Talking Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketamillow View Post
No, not exactly. And yes, to an extent - because it comes down to vision and community. Am I my brother's keeper? God says, yes, yes you are. If you can't do that job you will be banished to walk the earth aimlessly.

Coach Powell instills self-worth in the athletes who have worked under him, and pushes them to attain success at the next level, as well as welcoming them back as leaders to the next generation. That's why the Dardanes brothers, Ellis Coleman, Sam Brooks, Kamal Bey, etc have gone above and beyond. I personally know and have wrestled with each of them. It's the difference between a good coach and a great coach.
Oh, you know those guys do ya?

It's probably those guys that are not household names that would indicate that difference in coaching and I'm sure as he's repeatedly said for years that Mike Powell would agree.

A lot of morality and end goals of kids' lives talk for you to break it down to onmat success only.

Have a good evening.

Last edited by PapaBearSLIM; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:41 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
hawkeye 4 life

Talking

Quote:

It's probably those guys that are not household names that would indicate that difference in coaching and I'm sure as he's repeatedly said for years that Mike Powell would agree.

A lot of morality and end goals of kids' lives talk for you to break it down to onmat success only.

Have a good evening.
Of course mike knows those guys, hes actually from oak park!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Junior Varsity

Quote:

Have a good evening.
Yes, I do. I think you might have me mistaken with someone else. I was not "poopooing" any IKWF coaches.

Don't think I've really disagreed with you here either....

Good luck to your son at NCAAs by the way PapaBearSlim. I know him, I will be cheering for him. Wish him my best.

So let's get back to the topic of great coaching vs. experimental coaching methodologies that utilize instilling deep-seated emotional problems in children. Publicly, I disapprove of the second kind.
Sponsored Links

Tags
izzy, izzy style, martinez, montini, wrestling