Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News

Old 02-24-2013
Class A Guru

Season ending message from Flashy

Matmen Community,

I write this post a day after the 2012-13 season is officially over. What a great season it has been, for the kids and Coaches who started way back in November.We crowned 14 State Champs last week in 1A. Yesterday, the best team in 1A held their team trophy high. From the joy and excitement of their victories, to the heartbreak and sadness of the kids who didn’t get a chance at their dream (this year), it truly has been an epic season.

For me, personally, it has been an epic season as well. I had the chance to follow a dream this year and be an Assistant Coach under Hall of Fame Coach, Tim Haak. While it was truly a learning experience for me, it was an experience that will stay with me for a lifetime. The Harvard wrestlers we had this year, were beyond awesome. Just a great group of kids. The Coaching staff is, in my opinion, the best staff in the state of Illinois. The Harvard community, its support for the sport we all love so much is second to none. A dream come true, indeed.

I started with Illinois Matmen during the 2002 season. I was given the “keys to the car” so to speak from then Class A moderator, Bruce Bocian, who’s hometown school was bumping up from Class A to AA. It was an up and down experience to say the least. Folks like Raymo, SVFAN1, DawgeatDawg made life interesting. I was on the message boards 24/7 it seemed like making sure SVFAN1 wasn’t posting somebody's home address so they could all meet up and kick some butt. It sure was good times “back in the day.”

It was around the 2004 season when I started to do the Class A rankings for Matmen. What a treat that was! All the hate mail I received, the praise mail and the mail that simply mind boggled me. I gained a TON of friends from around the State. Coaches, Parents, Officials and even the wrestlers themselves. I wouldn’t trade any of it away. It’s never been about the personal recognition, it’s been about the sport of wrestling. There's just something about the sport that sucks you right in and won’t let you go.

This past season also gave me a new aspect to the sport, a parent to wrestlers. My two sons started club wrestling for the Woodstock Cyclones. What a joy and treat that has been. As much as I’ve done with this sport since I was introduced to it way back in 8th grade, this has been by far the best. Going to the few tournaments we did, the practices and just watching my sons grow from their first day to the last day of the season has been phenomenal. My oldest son (8) seems interested in the sport, but more interested in making friends. My youngest (6) seems he is more interested in going out on the mat and pinning everybody, which is amazing. He is a true student of the sport. (Riley Vest, remember this name…you may hear it again someday ha ha).

The reason for the long winded post today is simple, and up to this point you may have an idea what’s next. This past 2012-13 wrestling season is “Flashy’s” last. I’ll be forfeiting the 1A Ranking reigns back to the professional, Rob Sherril. I have simply run out of time to make the rankings a priority. As I stated in the paragraph above me, my kids are getting their feet into the sport, and I need to be there for them, every step on and off of the mat. I will also be stepping down as a Moderator for Illinois Matmen. Again, something that pains me to do, but its time. I’ve enjoyed the run, and just as in the rankings, I’ve met some great people along the way. Some who will be lifelong friends. I’m sure I’ll pop in and out every now and then on the forums just to see what’s going on and of course, voice my opinion on things. But just like the rankings, Moderating at times, seems like a full time job. A Job, I’m running out of time to do. Not to mention the emails I get in the middle of the night every time someone like Nearfall4leader posts a thread (headache!).

I know this seems sappy and probably unnecessary, but you have to understand, Illinois Matmen has been a “home” to me for my wrestling fix. Like I said, you will still continue to see me post here and there as a fan of the sport now (so look out, I’ve been holding back for years!). You’ll still see me around as I plan on continuing my coaching career with the Hornets. My voice will, hopefully, still be heard doing the State broadcasts for ihsa.tv as well.

Thank you. Thank you, Matmen community for making me a part of your family on a daily basis. Thank you to Mike Bare who has taken a rag-tag forum to the greatest wrestling website in the nation. For sticking by me and my rankings since he took over. Lastly, Thank You to my amazing wife, Tiffany. To this day, she still doesn’t understand my love and passion for this sport. But she doesn’t have to, she just knows that it’s there. Again, Thank You Matmen community.

In Wrestling,
Mike Vest
Flashy

Old 02-24-2013
Junior Varsity

Thanks!

Flashy, Thanks for all you have done for this forum and the sport over the years! I am sure it seems like a thankless and frustrating job at times. Your dedication to the sport and the wrestling community are GREATLY appreciated! Now it is time to move on to the next phase of your life's journey - enjoy watching your family grow up and we'll look for you in the forum every now and then.
Old 02-24-2013
Wrestling Media

Thanks for all you have done and will continue to do for wrestling. you are so right in that it is time to spend some time with our boys. These are lifetime experience with your 'Mini Men' and by all means you should be there. Thanks for all of your help over the years. Make no mistake illinoismatmen would not be what it is today without your help and dedication.

You will be missed by I will be watching out for Riley.

Andre' Morgan
Old 02-24-2013
Olympian

Mike, although I basically hang around the 3A board, I have ventured over to the other boards to read your posts. Thanks for all you have done and will continue to do for Illinois wrestling.
Old 03-02-2013
Olympian

Class A needed the voice you loyally provided them for so many years. I have big shoes to fill. Thanks for all your help over the years.
Old 03-02-2013
Super Moderator

Good Flashy. See you matside