Old 01-21-2007
Owner/Webmaster

Rockets have big day at BNC meet

BY RYAN HAMMERSMITH
McHenry County Sports

> Video Highlights Part 1
> Video Highlights Part 2
> Video Highlights Part 3

HARVARD - As has been the case so many times this year, Richmond-Burton's Jordan Blanton and Jake Vetter emerged from the mat victorious.

But Saturday at the Big Northern Conference Meet, their wins came much easier than anticipated.

Blanton recorded a technical fall in only 2:44 in the championship match at 171 pounds, then minutes later Vetter won by fall in 1:34 in the finals at the 189 pounds, leading the Rockets to a third-place finish (141.5 points) at the BNC meet.

Blanton's record this season stands at 30-0, while Vetter sits at 28-0.

"I just wanted to go out there, set up my shots and stay after him the whole time," said Blanton, who defeated Harvard's Jordin Katzenberger in the finals. "He's definitely one of the better kids I've wrestled. He's solid, but I knew I had to go out there and take it to him. I had to push the pace and not sit back. It was a good win."

Vetter, who beat Harvard's Zach Zittlow in the finals, said he approached this match no different than any other.

"I just wanna go out there, set my guy up as much as I can, try to work on set ups," he said. "I've learned over the years you've just gotta go out there and do what you know how to do and just go after that."

Joby Bodi (160) also finished first for the Rockets, while Mike Heuer (103) and Andrew Anderson (215) finished second. Richard Kaht (112) and Jake Martin (285) finished fourth.

The Rockets' success, however, did not compare to that of the host Hornets. Harvard finished first in the team standings with 245 points, 97 points ahead of second-place Oregon. The Hornets had seven first-place finishers, three second-place finishers, one third and two fourth.

Coach Tim Haak said this meet should be a stepping stone to the rest of the season. He also said balance and time spent practicing paid off for his team.

"I thought that each round we had consistency," Haak said. "Even the times we lost we wrestled well."

"That practice room is so important. If we get better in the practice room, we've got a chance to get better out on the mat."

Sergio Figueroa (103), Brian Lovell (112), Rob Brady (140), Jimmy Cradic (145), Reid Seagren (152), Ernie Ramos (215) and Jeremy Book (285) all finished first for Harvard. Kyle Hoey (130), Katzenberger (171) and Zittlow (189) all finished second. Matt Streit (160) finished third, while Ian Johnson (119) and Victor Figueroa (125) finished fourth. Figueroa now has a 30-3 record.

Marengo finished eighth (49.5) out of 10 teams. The Indians were led by Joey Moorhouse (125) and Ryan Gains (215), who each finished third. Eric Hendricks (160) finished fourth.
Sponsored Links