PDA

View Full Version : Argo suspensions?

Highc95
01-03-2006, 10:07 AM
What is this I'm hearing abouta hazing incident involving some of the wrestlers from Argo. I hear 3 or four are suspended and are under consideration of expulsion.

doubleot4509
01-03-2006, 07:45 PM
well from what ive been hearing through the grape vine... a ranked wrestler with the initials R.R. that wrestles 140/145 is done for the year... can ne1 confirm these hearings?

white dog
01-04-2006, 10:51 AM
3 wrestlers face expulsion for hazing

Prank not sex crime, Summit police say

By Jo Napolitano
Tribune staff reporter
Published January 3, 2006

Three varsity wrestlers at Argo Community High School accused of carrying out a bizarre hazing ritual in the back of a school bus could be expelled for their prank, officials said.

School officials said the accused wrestlers were junior and senior boys and that there were five to seven victims, all underclassmen.

Principal Thomas Dixey said the incident took place on a school bus as the athletes were heading home from a wrestling meet Dec. 1. There were 45 to 50 students on the bus at the time. Four adults, plus the driver, were also present but were unaware of the prank, he said.

The boys were alleged to have had inappropriate contact with the younger wrestlers, Summit police said.

Lt. Michael Long said the Police Department does not view the incident as a sex crime and added that parents have decided against pressing charges.

"It's more of an initiation or rite of passage rather than a sex crime," Long said.

The school board will meet Jan. 9 to decide on punishment, including possible expulsion.

Dixey said the incident appeared to violate school rules against hazing and bullying, but he would not elaborate.

"I'm not going to discuss what happened," Dixey said. "It's embarrassing for our students, so I'd rather not go into that."

He said the school notified the state Department of Children and Family Services and encouraged the victims and the offenders to talk to a social worker.

Dixey described the offenders as generally good students and said he was unaware of any other hazing incidents at his school.

He said school officials were informed of the incident Dec. 9 when parents came to speak to the athletic director.

The perpetrators, who have since been suspended, have also been barred from the wrestling team and will remain so until they return to school.

"Obviously, we don't want to have anything like this continue, and that's been made clear to all of our athletic teams," Dixey said.

Dixey said that the adults on the bus were likely sitting together up front and that they have since been asked to disperse among the students on trips.

Eugene Wroblewski, board president, said he did not know the details of the incident. Wroblewski, who has served on the board for 19 years, said the longest expulsion he can recall was 18 months and that was for a student carrying a weapon.

Wroblewski said he takes seriously the handling of expulsion cases. "It's the most serious element a board member could ever face," he said. "It's the person's education."

Dixey expressed hope the incident will not deter other students from joining the school's many athletic clubs. He said many of the teams are open to all skill levels.

Hazing and bullying, he said, detract from students' enjoyment of the educational experience and are "totally inappropriate."

white dog
01-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Argo athletes are expelled

3 wrestlers, coaches punished for hazing on bus after meet

By Carmen Greco Jr.
Special to the Tribune
Published January 10, 2006

Three Argo Community High School varsity wrestlers were expelled Monday night for the rest of the year for allegedly having inappropriate contact with a a few underclassmen in a hazing incident.

The expulsions, which the board of the Summit school approved unanimously, came more than a month after a group of juniors and seniors allegedly carried out a prank on the back of a school bus after a wrestling meet Dec. 2.

"We would hope this would indicate that we think this is unacceptable behavior," said school board President Eugene Wroblewski. "To do nothing would be to condone it."

School board members surprised some by doling out partial suspensions of three wrestling coaches who were on the bus, for what Wroblewski called "a lack of supervision." The three will serve their suspensions one at a time until the end of the season.

"The coaches will not be suspended at the same time," he said. "We will not see the wrestling program destroyed."

Several high school wrestlers and their parents were outraged by the coaches' suspensions, saying it would decimate the remainder of the season.

They said the coaches could not have realized the hazing was in progress because they were sitting in the front of the bus while the team was exulting over its victory against Bremen High School.

"The coaches were all in the front of the bus," said sophomore George Donovan. "The coaches wouldn't know anything. We were all screaming. We just beat Bremen 67-0. They couldn't hear anything."

The expulsions and suspensions came after school board members met with the students involved in the hazing incident and their parents behind closed doors for more than two hours.

The expelled students, two seniors and a junior, will be enrolled in alternative educational programs outside of the school. Wroblewski said the two seniors would graduate with their classmates this spring.

The expelled wrestlers and their parents--several of whom left the meeting in tears--refused to talk to reporters.

Parents of the victimized boys notified police about the prank last month but did not press charges, saying they wanted to wait for the board's decision.

School officials have since asked coaches to spread out among the crowd when traveling with students.

Tribune staff reporter Jo Napolitano contributed to this report.

Copyright 2006, Chicago Tribune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/)

DoubleOT
01-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Here is an excerpt from the Daily Southtown, that explains what happened,

"On the ride home from a romping victory over Bremen High School on Dec. 1, upperclassmen wrestlers allegedly "teabagged" five to seven members of the freshmen team.

The older boys pulled the freshmen, one by one, to the back of the bus. While two boys held down a victim, the third shoved his testicles in the victim's face."

Here's the link to the full article
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsindex/10-ds1.htm

durham/chicagocoach
01-13-2006, 10:46 AM
taking advantage of 'wide eyed' freshman in this manner is really despicable and shows extremely poor character

as a freshman you dont have nearly the talent or the presence that these guys do, not to mention these are supposed to be your role models - way to set an example for the underclassmen

underclassmen are human beings too, and they remember the upperclassmen who treat them with respect/dignity

MR TWISTER
01-13-2006, 11:11 AM
taking advantage of 'wide eyed' freshman in this manner is really despicable and shows extremely poor character

as a freshman you dont have nearly the talent or the presence that these guys do, not to mention these are supposed to be your role models - way to set an example for the underclassmen

underclassmen are human beings too, and they remember the upperclassmen who treat them with respect/dignity

So the victory over Bremen really turned out to be a loss for the school, coaches and wrestlers.

As a coach I always had to monitor the bus and the locker room. It is just a playground for horseplay and I hated horse play.

doc
01-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Do you need a parent to press charges? Why is this only a school problem and not a sexual crime? If a guy did that to your daughter, you would have his butt in jail (after you made sure he didn't have any testicles left to do it again) So why the double standared that this was just a hazing prank and a suspension is enough? I understand the parents concern not to make life difficult for their sons by filing charges, but should the states attornies office be able to file charges on his own?

ScoobysMom
01-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Do you need a parent to press charges? Why is this only a school problem and not a sexual crime? If a guy did that to your daughter, you would have his butt in jail (after you made sure he didn't have any testicles left to do it again) So why the double standared that this was just a hazing prank and a suspension is enough? I understand the parents concern not to make life difficult for their sons by filing charges, but should the states attornies office be able to file charges on his own?

What kind of case would a states attorney have if he does not have a victim willing to testify against the offender? A lot of time money and effort waisted on a case that they could never try. There would be no physical evidence to submit there fore it would be a case strictly on testimony.

Old Red(skin)hawk
01-13-2006, 01:23 PM
I understand that there is a lot of hazing that goes on. A right of passage for the younger guys to go through. I do not condone any of it but do agree that some of it is all in fun and inocuous.

But, this is way beyond a prank. I agree with an earlier post that if it happened to a girl it would not be a prank - this should not be seen as a prank either.

If your boss held you down in the office a teabagged you, would you laugh it off?

The coaches' explanation in the Southtown is complete BS. They knew something was going on in the back of the bus. They allowed something to happen. I am not at all saying they knew these guys were teabgging, but they had to know something was going on. If it was done to 5-7 kids, it took more than a few minutes to get these guys, hold them down, drop your pants, and do this.

If you have ever sat on a bus or in a van with a group of kids you know it is not that hard to hear a ruckus over the normal din.

The kids should be expelled. The coaches should be fired. Charges should be pressed - agains the school as well. If that happened, how likely do you think it would be repeated?

W Fan
01-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Who says a sexual predator has to be an adult? Committing a crime against a female? Can't sexual predators commit crimes against peers?

Something is seriously wrong here! It appears the school district looked the other way and washed thier hands of this issue. Also, the Coaches should be fired not matter if they knew or not, along with the bus driver. Charges should be pressed against all of these people.

Forget about wrestling. Someone will have a problem on thier hands in the future.

Badger_wrestling
01-13-2006, 02:21 PM
If it wasn't for all the media attention that this got, none of those kids would have been expelled from school. All coaches know that this happens everywhere. Maybe not this bad, but look at Major League Baseball. They have the "rookies" dress up in silly outfits. Do you see them getting suspended???? This situation could have been taken care of in-house but the media got too involved.
All this is hurting is the Argo wrestling team because now they don't have a "coach ". I just want to wish them luck for the rest of the season!!!

doc
01-13-2006, 02:54 PM
If it wasn't for all the media attention that this got, none of those kids would have been expelled from school. All coaches know that this happens everywhere. Maybe not this bad, but look at Major League Baseball. They have the "rookies" dress up in silly outfits. Do you see them getting suspended???? This situation could have been taken care of in-house but the media got too involved.
All this is hurting is the Argo wrestling team because now they don't have a "coach ". I just want to wish them luck for the rest of the season!!!

First of all, NO, it does not happen everywhere.
Second, to equate wearing a silly outfit to rubbing a scrotum in a guys face is an even more idiotic statement. Badger, if this was your daughter, would it be ok? Just having fun? Keep it quiet and make it go away? And yes they do have a coach, read the release, they only have one less coach.

Actually, a couple of nights in jail might be good for those boys...I bet teabagging takes on a whole new meaning in there, and its probably not as fun...

Old Red(skin)hawk
01-13-2006, 03:08 PM
The only reason that this happened is because the coaches ahve looked the other way far too long. Obviously, one senior didn't say, "Hey, we just beat Bremen, I think I'll rub my balls on somebody's face." This has obviously been going on for a long time and each year or each time somebody takes it a bit farther until you get to this.

If it is not dealt with now, how far will it go?

I was in a fraternity where we had to deal with hazing. It is a snowball if it is not stopped. Kids in fraternities die from these "pranks" and "jokes." And, while everybody thinks it will never happen to them, sometimes it does.

Professional baseball players are all adults and they wouldn't let it get to this point. Do you think an MLB team will let a veteran player rub his privates on a rookie's face?

My coaches on any sport were always in control of the bus or van and kept an eye on us. This couldn't have happened then.

Send a message to the rest of the coaches, athletes, and schools that this is wrong, illegal, and immoral and, most importantly, it will not be tolerated any more.

I feel bad for the few kids that seem to have not been involved. But, if they knew, and were silent, they are guilty as well.

MR TWISTER
01-13-2006, 03:24 PM
In college I too was in a fraternity. I got hazed and once I became a member I hazed others. In fact I was the only one on my pledge line for 10 weeks. Most of you have no idea how hard that is. And how much fun. But I survived and vowed to make everyone after me work hard to gain admission. It is a culture that has been secretly developed for years. Would I do it with the intellegence that I have now? NO! But I never did anything close to sexual (especially with the same sex) to anyone nor had it done to me. Some hazing can be in good nature and some can be abusive. The thing about college fraternities is that you choose to be haze in order to gain admission. These kids were forced to be hazed. And I don't buy that the bus was so loud that the coaches did not know. Beating Bremen should not brought that much noise. :mad:

lwsingle
01-13-2006, 03:25 PM
I beleave that is is very wrong but i do not agree with suspending the coaches or even firing them. They are to be held responsible because the kids were under their supervison at the time but why should the rest of the argo team be punished by not having a coach because they had a couple of bad eggs on the team.

MR TWISTER
01-13-2006, 03:36 PM
I beleave that is is very wrong but i do not agree with suspending the coaches or even firing them. They are to be held responsible because the kids were under their supervison at the time but why should the rest of the argo team be punished by not having a coach because they had a couple of bad eggs on the team.

In high school athletics the coaches are responsible for the safety of all team members. Once you get into these situations and you bring the administration into the picture everything gets murky. My sources say there was a chance the season could of been lost. I believe the article said the suspensions will be served later into the year and/or staggered as to not impact the season.

flashy_classy_Ahost
01-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Maybe some teams are different, or coaches rather. When I wrestled for Harvard, the bus trips to AND from the contests were silent. Doesn't matter if we just beat Alden Hebron or just beat Oregon (top/rival team back in my day). From my freshman year sitting in the front of the bus then my senior year to the back of the bus, none of this ever happened. Hazing wasn't that big of a deal either. There were times in practices when the upper classmen would go after the younger guys and do some "WWF" things before the coaches walked in. Nothing to the extreme of sexual conduct or along those lines. I know that Burlington Central had a similar incident like this last year. Who's fault is it? The coaches for not supervision 24/7? The parents for not "properly bringing their kids up?" Or the actual kid for doing such a "heinious" act?

jmt0519
01-13-2006, 03:54 PM
lwsingle,
That sounds very contradictory. You don't agree with suspending coaches but you do agree with them being held responsible? to what extent? Bottom line is the adults are on charge and have to be held accountable, as well. They haven't lost all coaches. Just a coach. If the other coaches can't fill the billet, they shouldn't be out there in the first place. Coaches need to be aware of whats going on. My coaches were.

W Fan
01-13-2006, 04:35 PM
JMT- You are absolutley right! I feel the coaches should be fired. I have traveled many busses, and to say they did'nt know something was occuring is far from the truth.

It seems to me that the abused kids are pressuring the parents not to file charges and the school officials are probably very satisfied with that decision. Sort of tells you of the society we are living in.

Nic9er
01-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Kids think different than adults ......... acting without thinking things though. There have been a number of things in the last few years that make you say they did what and think what were they thinking. Answer they were not thinking, acting on impulse and or a dare maybe.

I have reason to believe if one of these wrestlers drop his pants and did "tea bagging" it would be a sex crime. Some wrestlers think it is funny to try to do this or something similar in wrestling matches also.

Many coaches minds are on many other things coming back on the bus trips, and it is common to see the student-athletes jumping from seat to seat, talking goofing off or some other type of horse play. Kids can make poor choices at times but they are still kids until they are 18 and or out of high school.

Hazing does happen but with the zero tolerance polices now in place at the schools the students need to remember the schools are always watching and to think before they act dumb or try something their peers may think is funny. Many of the older readers can remember the good old days when thinks were much different but that was then this is now and the times have changed a great deal.

This case would not make it to court it would go to a plea agreement to safe the wrestlers who were restrained from any more embarrassment.

As for Harvard I think the required (out of dated) nude weigh-ins have been shocking enough for most of the wrestlers at a dual meets or tournament.

Looks like we may know who the wrestler using the screen name teabagger or teabag was now.

HeaD RaT
01-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Why do people feel the need to drag this sport through the mud because of the actions of a few trouble youth? I see no need for this or other past mishaps by former wrestlers being brought to light again and again. Get over it ... learn from others mistakes .... don't follow by example.

Respect all .... Fear No One (it's Fear No One = Nobody)

flashy_classy_Ahost
01-13-2006, 10:43 PM
As for Harvard I think the required (out of dated) nude weigh-ins have been shocking enough for most of the wrestlers at a dual meets or tournament.

Did I miss something? What do you mean by this?

135lbstate505
01-20-2006, 03:53 AM
welll i know some kids on that argo wrestling team and ones who were on that team and i know that this iniation has been going on for years now. kids did not come foward. it was one parent who came foward with all the comotion. Only 3 kids were charged? i dont know how 3 kids alone managed to pull 5 to 7 kids to the back of the bus one by one on there own. i know kids on the team and they all say that they have all participated. this is obviously a team act and to expell 3 kids only is not right. i heard that 2 of the 3 kids didnt even teabagg and that there were kids that did "teabagg" that are still at school. From what i can see i think that the school board got theeir 3 guys to get this 1 parent of there back from lawsuits and say "hey i recemended expulsion lady i did the best i could" and when the media is dragged into the whole situation the school boardhas no choice. School board Quoted "to take no action is to condone it" they say this like these kids didnt get a 10 day suspension before hand. i have heard of many more severe cases of expulsion at argo than this that werent even expelled like gang related and weapon use. now to put these kids in a school with gang members and dagerous kids is ridicous. I dont think that this whole cituation is acceptible, but this whole hazing case was not gotten to the bottom of many students got off scott free.

Wrestling Mom
01-20-2006, 08:46 AM
It's old news.
Why can't people let it go?
The innocent kids that are left on the team are paying the price for the other three's actions.
Nothing like being condemned, labeled and ridiculed for the bad behavior of a few misguided individuals.

sinjab
01-20-2006, 11:33 AM
y is it funny to tee bag and especially in the middle of the season? these kids dont like wrestling as much as they say they do and they are good wrestlers i heard. i guess they shud think before they act more

135lbstate505
01-20-2006, 04:45 PM
It's old news.
Why can't people let it go?
The innocent kids that are left on the team are paying the price for the other three's actions.
Nothing like being condemned, labeled and ridiculed for the bad behavior of a few misguided individuals.

Wat innocent kids? there is no way 3 kids can manage to teabagg 7 kids one by one alone. to me these are no innocent kids they are more like kids that didnt confess they were a part of it and let 3 kids get hung for the crime instead of everyone. i am 100% positive that almost evry soph, junior, and senior participated in the incident so no i would say they are to innocent. i hope their concious is killing them mentally right now knowing that they are cowards to turn on there team members. They know deep down inside them. It only innocence on the outside. They did the crime to Im sure of it.

Warrior88
01-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Things similar to this go on at allot of schools, beleive it or not. Most high school teams have tons of horseplay and tons of hazing with the exception of the select few elitist schools that are usually the top in the state. Are all teams like that? No not at all. Most? probably not. But I know for a fact that there are allot of schools that have hazing usually involving shaving someones head or playing pranks on them or at the very worst holding them down and giving them a few ribshots and it's a not the best thing to do but kids do it because they had to go through it to "become part of the team" and once it happens they are now one of the team. I am not saying hazing is right and I think it's silly and immature but it does happen and it's not THAT big of a deal. Now, as for the kids that did the teabagging, they definately went way too far. This is obviously wrong and the kids should be suspended and punished at home and at school(Mostly at home, this is a situation where the parents should do the punishing in my opinion.), but expelled or having charges pressed against them is pretty rediculous. That is there education that would be getting taken away from, from what I've read, pretty good kids except for the stupid decisions they made on the bus after a big victory when they were extremely excited. To compare this to someone doing it to your daughter is the stupidest thing on this thread and to compare it to you going into work and your boss doing it to you is just, literally, insane and it would never happen. Do you honestly think these kids would have done this to a girl? And do you honestly think it is even remotely comparable? This whole thing is going way too far and it's hurting the sport.

Sports Fan
01-22-2006, 08:38 AM
The media won't let it die and the only ones suffering are the kids and the sport.
Every wrestler I know, has had people asking them "Did it happen to you?"
"Did you participate?"

Achilles
01-22-2006, 12:02 PM
First of all, NO, it does not happen everywhere.
Second, to equate wearing a silly outfit to rubbing a scrotum in a guys face is an even more idiotic statement. Badger, if this was your daughter, would it be ok? Just having fun? Keep it quiet and make it go away? And yes they do have a coach, read the release, they only have one less coach.

Actually, a couple of nights in jail might be good for those boys...I bet teabagging takes on a whole new meaning in there, and its probably not as fun...

I can second that it does happen everywhere

TexasHoldEm
01-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Coach! Where were you? Captains! Where were you? Freshmen don't be naiive to bullying by upper classmen. Shout out for help! But most of all you coaches need to be among the wrestlers to monitor their behavior. Don't forget that your job is to coach. Not just hold the title of coach. There is a big difference.

Wrestling Mom
01-23-2006, 07:25 PM
The bus driver was questioned and he said that he keeps track of what is going on and didn't see a thing.
Even with the noise, he can see in the rear view mirror and didn't see anything out of the ordinary going on.

135lbstate505
02-02-2006, 05:35 PM
I just want ot 2nd that i also agree that comparing this to your daughters is the most ridiculous thing that i have ever heard. I really doubt that any kid would do this to a female as a prank. C'mon now think sensless. Lots of males who are much older like me would realize that we can go through some really weird and bizare thing in life that would make some laugh and other outraged and some not even care. Its all sensless.

BDrag
02-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Nic9er said above.(first time poster didn't get the quote function right)

Nic9er..... I've been a lurker for many years and this is just good enough to make me want to post. Having wrestled for Harvard for all my high school years I can say that we were never required to weigh in nude. Did athletes who were close to being over weight choose to do so? Yes. Were skin checks done by the refs? Yes. Was nudity required? NO!

I will also stay on topic and parrot what was said about the Harvard bus ride. Silent regardless of if it was a win loss a ride there or ride back. These things did not occur.

My two cents... Maybe I'll post more often now that I've taken the time to sign up.

Nic9er
02-26-2006, 04:33 PM
BDrag says:

Nic9er..... I've been a lurker for many years and this is just good enough to make me want to post. Having wrestled for Harvard for all my high school years I can say that we were never required to weigh in nude. Did athletes who were close to being over weight choose to do so? Yes. Were skin checks done by the refs? Yes. Was nudity required? NO!

Nic9er reply:

I can tell you I remember this and so do many others I know. This was before girls were allowed to wrestle on the boys team. But the info is correct and you are wrong!