Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 04-23-2018

Curious

I talked to a few Athletic Directors last week about coaching positions in Central Illinois. They have told me some troubling news, lack of applications for Head Coaching positions. One AD told me that not one person applied for a Head Coaching position and that floored me. Another told me that only one person applied. Its not like these programs do not have any success. They have good traditions. Where are the younger assistant coaches looking to step up to be a head coaches? I need some help here.. any reasons why the lack of interest in being a Head Coach?
Old 04-23-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllevelcoach View Post
I talked to a few Athletic Directors last week about coaching positions in Central Illinois. They have told me some troubling news, lack of applications for Head Coaching positions. One AD told me that not one person applied for a Head Coaching position and that floored me. Another told me that only one person applied. Its not like these programs do not have any success. They have good traditions. Where are the younger assistant coaches looking to step up to be a head coaches? I need some help here.. any reasons why the lack of interest in being a Head Coach?
I would guess that some don't see becoming a Head Coach as a move up when considering this is the small portion of their paycheck.

A few reasons a potential candidate wouldn't want to leave:
* tenured status in a school district,
* place on teaching seniority list at current school
* comfortability with your teaching position responsibilities

All of these can hinder the consideration of moving to another school district where you will be put on the bottom of the "R.I.F." line. With school finances the way they are in Illinois you never know if that position you applied for will be there next year.

Additionally, the payscale at most Central IL schools do not compare to the payscale at even the lowest paying suburban school districts.

Just an example I applied for an Athletic Director position in my hometown a few years ago and I would have taken a 25k paycut.
Old 04-23-2018
Olympian

I think that it would be possible to be a good head coach in wrestling without having wrestled. If you knew how to get the best assistant coaches etc...some of it isn't about the coaching - how did York win so many x-country titles etc - was it the water? - that guy knew coaching but that sport is pretty basic - some of it is about recruiting and managing - he got better athletes out for the sport. There are tons of examples, The Patriot's Belichick’s played a little low level football but played more lacrosse but the Patriots head coach was a letterwinner in a lesser known college sport, while a student at Wesleyan, Belichick played varsity squash — an indoor racquet sport traditionally played as singles competition at the university level. There are lots of talk about ikwf coaches but the head coaches I saw were as much if not more administrators, there were many parents and assistants working with kids. I am sure everyone's experience is different, my HS wrestling coaches did not have assistants at all, so not the case for them.
Old 04-24-2018
Varsity

A few reasons

1. I was just informed that there is a impending teacher shortage with a glut of retirees coming and a small amount of potential teachers training in colleges.

2. The work of a head coach, and I am one, is becoming too great with kids's clubs, summer camps, and off-season stuff.

3. Hard to navigate with growing families.
Old 04-24-2018

Where is this position at? I know some qualified guys who might be interested..
Old 04-25-2018

Springfield High School, Riverton High School, Litchfield High School.
Old 04-25-2018
CS8

Springfield

Is Berger done at Springfield?
Old 04-25-2018

Yes he is.
Sponsored Links