Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 01-13-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
CORRECTION: In his coach's chat Eggum said that Bleise will be wrestling Sunday.

GO ILLINI!!!
That's bad for Barone. I'm changing my pick to Bleise. Further cements a Minnesota win in my estimation.
Old 01-14-2018
Junior Varsity

3 missing

As the season highlights were devoid of 149, 174, and 197, I will throw in the key moment of Barone fighting off a fall for at least a minute which helped win the dual. Riojas came out strong at Fresno, A. Lee won there as well. Not highlights exactly but maybe those three spots will come up big today, as Greg Cote would say "you never know"

Quote:

If you haven't seen it, Emery Parker was the Big Ten wrestler of the week. You can read the full story here. He has gone from unknown commodity to dayum to great wrestler to hammer to beast. Here's a snippet from the release:

Then, on the next day, Parker was named the I-Fund Scholar-Athlete of the Week. This is the short blurb that came with that:

This all got me to thinking about the amazing highlights that we've already seen this year. What's been your favorite? I'm sure that I'm missing a bunch, especially those that will occur in the future, but here's a short list:

-- EMERY PARKER wins the Midlands Tournament. This was not only satisfying because he won the thing, but because of the revenge he was able to extract over the formidable Nate Jackson in the finals. Parker showed that he could win against great talent, and he showed that when people run away from him, he can still win.

-- EMERY PARKER's comeback. You just read about it above. Down by six points with a minute to go, Parker blitzed the #6 wrestler in the country to get the win. Beast status? Achieved!

-- TRAVIS PIOTROWSKI starts the season 9-0. Not only that, in the process he won a Roadrunner Open Championship. The ILLINI have had a tradition of great 125ers. It is so good to see this second-year wrestler keep up that tradition!

-- The DEUCE is on the Loose! At the beginning of the season, did anyone expect Deuce Rachal to become the most dangerous man in the NCAA? There was the massive supplay and pin of Missouri's Spencer Myers, the toss and pin of Iowa State's Gannon Gremmel (who was a two-time Fargo National Champion), and the most recent come-from-behind throw and win against Conan Jennings of Northwestern.

-- IMAR gets win #100! The legend of Isaiah Martinez continues to grow as he starts to move up the all-time wins list at ILLINOIS with every win. Here's a video celebrating that milestone that includes some pretty awesome shirt-popping! The 100th came during the dual against Fresno State, so that, awesomely, his family and friends could be there to share the moment.

-- IMAR makes the U23 squad. With all the new weight classes coming to the UWW, the United States will need even more quality wrestlers. IMAR will be one of them. He gave the eventual champ, a Russian who was #2 at their national championships a one-point match. We will get to see IMAR for years to come!

-- MICHAEL CARR beats Nebraska's Chad Red. All of us at Illinoismatmen knew it was coming, we just didn't know when. Carr burst onto the scene with a major upset of a top ten wrestler. We knew that it could happen, but wrestlestat.com still doesn't believe it! I just went to their site to compare Carr versus Red, and they have Red winning 8-4. Fake news!

-- DYLAN DUNCAN ranks in the Top Twenty. Again, this is something that posters at Illinoismatmen knew was going to happen, but it is always nice to see things work out for a redshirt freshman. You never know until they strap on the varsity headgear. The one-point loss to John Erneste of Missouri actually put Duncan on this year's map. He beat him last year, but Erneste has been on a tear this season.

-- KYLE LANGENDERFER with the decisive Roadrunner Championship. Kyle has had a rough start to the year, but he put it all together for the Roadrunner Open, including a 9-4 win over a Top Twenty wrestler in the championship match.

So, what's your favorite? What instant classic will happen in Minnesota? Who will break out next?

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
As the season highlights were devoid of 149, 174, and 197, I will throw in the key moment of Barone fighting off a fall for at least a minute which helped win the dual. Riojas came out strong at Fresno, A. Lee won there as well. Not highlights exactly but maybe those three spots will come up big today, as Greg Cote would say "you never know"
Those are good. Barone also had a runner-up finish at the Roadrunner Open.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-14-2018
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Deuce wrestled great until the last 15 seconds of the match. Leading by one he gets run over while in over/under. Just circle out of the ties and win the match.

Win or lose the ends of Rachel's matches are exciting.
Old 01-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Deuce wrestled great until the last 15 seconds of the match. Leading by one he gets run over while in over/under. Just circle out of the ties and win the match.

Win or lose the ends of Rachel's matches are exciting.
Hey, I loved his single leg attack. He's too small to ride these big guys and I also think he ran out of gas. I was impressed, for the first time this year, with Andre Lee. He took some good shots. Good for him. Parker started slow again but came on with the win. Piotrowski just is not good enough on his feet to keep up with the better guys in his class. Still has time to improve.
Old 01-14-2018
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Langenderfer is a jackass. 1st he runs Short way outta bounds then he throws a head but at the end to give up a team point and likely the dual. Even a Martinez pin gives the Gophers the win on criteria.
Old 01-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Langenderfer is a jackass. 1st he runs Short way outta bounds then he throws a head but at the end to give up a team point and likely the dual. Even a Martinez pin gives the Gophers the win on criteria.
I agree. He made it impossible for the team to win. Not that we deserved to win, with Minnesota winning 6 out of 10 matches. Duncan looked good. Much respect to Carr. He was getting whipped for most of the match but had the balls for 3 third period takedowns to not just avoid the major, but to make it respectable against a really tough kid. As for Barone, I will only say that he has a good split. That is the only positive I can think of. I-Mar kept it under control, as I think he could have scored a few more points on Wanzek. 149 and 157 have turned out to be a huge achilles heel for this team. Collectively, I will refer to them as "They who do not wrestle".
Old 01-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Kids make mistakes. Its why they're kids.

ILLINI fall short 14-17. Would have been cool to see IMAR with the incentive to go for the pin. Rachal was 10 seconds away from a crucial victory. From here on out--at least during duals--I'm thinking that the Deuce will be on the loose! Duncan with a controlled win. Andre Lee broke through. (I hope Bobby Steveson will be okay). Emery Parker is a bad man. Nice to see Carr with three takedowns in the third period. He can do that to Thorn in the first period of the Big Ten semis next. I thought Riojas fought hard.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-14-2018
hawkeye 4 life

Quote:

ILLINI fall short 14-17. Would have been cool to see IMAR with the incentive to go for the pin. Rachal was 10 seconds away from a crucial victory. From here on out--at least during duals--I'm thinking that the Deuce will be on the loose! Duncan with a controlled win. Andre Lee broke through. (I hope Bobby Steveson will be okay). Emery Parker is a bad man. Nice to see Carr with three takedowns in the third period. He can do that to Thorn in the first period of the Big Ten semis next. I thought Riojas fought hard.

GO ILLINI!!!
Isnít he like 22
Old 01-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:

GO ILLINI!!!
Langenderfer is a senior and knows better. I have seen him do this before this year and last year. I agree about Riojas, Parker, Lee and Rachal.
Sponsored Links