Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Predict Illini Dual Record

In looking at the Illini's tough schedule for this coming year, here's how I see it playing out:

MSU- Should be a win
Michigan-Loss
Minn.- Loss
Iowa-Loss
Nebraska-Loss
Ohio State-Loss
Wisconsin-Toss up
Northwestern-Toss up
Penn State-Loss

So, it looks like we are likely to be anywhere from 1-8 (worst case) to 3-6 (best case). This assumes no significant injuries for us. We appear to be pretty weak at 149, 157, 165, 174, 197 and 285. Thoughts?
Old 1 Week Ago
Junior Varsity

I wouldnt say Nebraska and Minnesota are sure losses, I would put 5-4 as an optimistic prediction. Plus there will surely be non-conference duals as well that could almost certainly improve the record unless they have a non-B1G powerhouse opponent like Missouri last year. Hoping to see a lot of open tournaments to get the young guys more matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
In looking at the Illini's tough schedule for this coming year, here's how I see it playing out:

MSU- Should be a win
Michigan-Loss
Minn.- Loss
Iowa-Loss
Nebraska-Loss
Ohio State-Loss
Wisconsin-Toss up
Northwestern-Toss up
Penn State-Loss

So, it looks like we are likely to be anywhere from 1-8 (worst case) to 3-6 (best case). This assumes no significant injuries for us. We appear to be pretty weak at 149, 157, 165, 174, 197 and 285. Thoughts?
Old 1 Week Ago
Double stud

Great schedule though for fans!
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
I wouldnt say Nebraska and Minnesota are sure losses, I would put 5-4 as an optimistic prediction. Plus there will surely be non-conference duals as well that could almost certainly improve the record unless they have a non-B1G powerhouse opponent like Missouri last year. Hoping to see a lot of open tournaments to get the young guys more matches.
If they finish 5-4 in conference that will be a great achievement. That means our young and inexperienced recruits will have filled the extensive holes in our lineup quite well. We'll see. I hope you are right. And yes, there should be a lot of open tournaments to get our young guys ready before we get into the conference schedule.
Old 5 Days Ago
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:

MSU- Should be a win
Michigan-Loss
Minn.- Loss
Iowa-Loss
Nebraska-Loss
Ohio State-Loss
Wisconsin-Toss up
Northwestern-Toss up
Penn State-Loss

We don't even know who will be wrestling most of those weights you listed. One will be manned by a 2x NCAA qualifier (in 2 tries) that will start the season ranked in the top 15.

If and when the Illini prove to be worthy of your criticism, lay into em. You seem to be negative just because.
Old 21 Hours Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
We don't even know who will be wrestling most of those weights you listed. One will be manned by a 2x NCAA qualifier (in 2 tries) that will start the season ranked in the top 15.

If and when the Illini prove to be worthy of your criticism, lay into em. You seem to be negative just because.
I have followed the Illini wrestling program for quite some time, including their recruiting hits and misses. I'm a realist first and foremost. Gunther will be a solid addition to the team at 174. The rest of the weights I listed besides 184 are and have been question marks. I hope I am pleasantly surprised.
Old 15 Hours Ago
Olympian

Quote:
I have followed the Illini wrestling program for quite some time, including their recruiting hits and misses. I'm a realist first and foremost. Gunther will be a solid addition to the team at 174. The rest of the weights I listed besides 184 are and have been question marks. I hope I am pleasantly surprised.
Your first surprise might be that Gunther isn't at 174.

Lauden