Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Freestyle / Greco-Roman

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

WOW
Sadulaev is truly special. He definitely made a statement.

Ironic because it sums up the American - Russian relationship at the tournament.

Team USA wrestled a spectacular tournament. But Russians are most definitely the best wrestlers on the planet

Lauden
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Sadulaev pins Snyder in stunning end to menís freestyle at Worlds; Team USA places second as team
BY GARY ABBOTT, USA WRESTLING | OCT. 23, 2018, 2:27 P.M. (ET)
Abdulrashid Sadulaev of Russia and Kyle Snyder of the USA square off for their 97 kg gold-medal match in Budapest. Photo by Robbert Wijtman.

BUDAPEST, Hungary Ė With the team race determined and every other weight class completed, the wrestling fans of the world got what they wanted.

Olympic and two-time World champion Kyle Snyder of the United States and Olympic and two-time World champion Abdulrashid Sadulaev came out for the finals at 97 kg for the second straight year. The crowd was electric.

Snyder vs. Sadulaev I was the last match of the 2017 World Championships in Paris. Snyder scored late to edge Sadulaev, 6-5. The Snyder win gave Team USA a dramatic World Team title over Russia by one point. This year, the match was over before most fans had settled in their seats.

Sadulaev took a leg shot and when he converted the score, he was able to get Snyder onto his back. Snyder struggled to right himself, but the mat official raised his hand, got confirmation and called the fall in 1:11.

ďMaking it to the World finals is awesome. The finals ended quickly, so that stunk. Everybody knows that Sadulaev is a talented wrestler. He hit me in a good move, and it worked out well for him tonight,Ē said Snyder.

Snyderlaev II went to Sadulaev. Their record is now 1-1 against each other. Sadulaev is a three-time World champion, an Olympic champion and a 2017 World silver medalist. Snyder is a two-time World champion, an Olympic champion and a 2018 World silver medalist.

ďWins and losses donít define me. I love wrestling. Itís a big part of my life, but Iím not defined by the sport. Iím defined by my faith in Jesus. No matter what happens to me on the mat, nothing really changes. Whether I win or lose, thereís not a big change in my life in the way that I view myself or the way that I view other people. Iím thankful for the gifts that I have, and Iím thankful for the opportunity to compete,Ē Snyder said.

This match ended four days of menís freestyle wrestling. Russia won the team title with 178 points, followed by second-place the United States with 150 points. Georgia took the third place trophy with 105 points.

The 2018 U.S. Menís Freestyle World Team is coming home with seven medals, tying the USA Wrestling record for the most medals by a team in a specific style, matching the seven medals won by the 1979 menís freestyle team in San Diego, the 1986 menís freestyle team in Budapest and the 2003 womenís freestyle team in New York City.

The USA had three individual gold medalists, Kyle Dake at 79 kg, David Taylor at 86 kg and Jíden Cox at 92 kg. Snyder won a silver medal. Taking home bronzes were Joe Colon at 61 kg, Jordan Burroughs at 74 kg and Nick Gwiazdowski at 125 kg.

The USA has started off this four-year Olympic cycle winning the 2017 World team title and taking second in 2018. Overall, the USA has won 13 World medals over the two years, with five individual gold medalists. This is perhaps the best start for a menís freestyle team in the first two years of any Olympic quadrennial ever.

WORLD WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIPS
At Budapest, Hungary

U.S. Group 3 Menís freestyle results

70 kg/154 lbs. - James Green, Lincoln, Neb. (Titan Mercury WC/Nebraska WTC), dnp/13th
WIN Khadzimurad Gadzhiyev (Azerbaijan), 6-5
LOSS Byambadorj Bat Erdene (Mongolia), 4-2

97 kg/213.75 lbs. - Kyle Snyder, Columbus, Ohio (Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC), silver medal
WIN Baasanjargal Ulziisaikhan (Mongolia), 8-3
WIN Nathaniel Tuifao Tuamoheloa (American Samoa), tech. fall 10-0
WIN Abraham De Jesus Conyedo Ruano (Italy), 11-2
WIN Pavlo Oliinyk (Hungary), 3-0
LOSS Abdulrashid Sadulaev (Russia), pin 1:11

Menís Freestyle Medal Match results

70 kg
Gold - Magomedrasul Gazimagomedov (Russia) dec. Adam Batirov (Bahrain), 7-6
Bronze Ė Franklin Maren Castillo (Cuba) tech. fall Andriy Kvyatkovskyy (Ukraine), 11-1
Bronze - Zurabi Iakovishvili (Georgia) tech. fall Byambaa Bat Erdene (Mongolia), 10-0

97 kg
Gold - Abdulrashid Sadulaev (Russia) pin Kyle Snyder (USA), 1:11
Bronze ĖAbraham De Jesus Conyedo Ruano (Italy) dec. Pavlo Oliinyk (Hungary), 2-2
Bronze - Elizbar Odikadze (Georgia) pin Magomed Ibragimov (Uzbekistan), 3:52

Top 20 Team Standings
1.Russia, 178
2. United States, 150
3. Georgia, 105
4. Cuba, 67
5. Japan, 67
6. Iran, 65
7. Mongolia, 57
8. Turkey, 53
9. Azerbaijan, 44
10. Belarus, 41
11. India, 38
12. Uzbekistan, 33
13. Kazakhstan, 32
14. Italy, 29
15. Italy, 29
15. China, 20
17. Korea, 20
18. Ukraine, 18
19. Spain, 15
20. Hungary, 14

Most Medals by a U.S. World Team in a specific style -7

1979 Ė San Diego Ė menís freestyle - Bobby Weaver (silver, 48 kg), Jimmy Haines (silver, 52 kg), Joe Corso (bronze, 57 kg), Andre Metzger (bronze, 62 kg), Lee Kemp (gold,74 kg), John Peterson (silver, 82 kg), Russ Hellickson (silver, 100 kg)

1986 Ė Budapest Ė menís freestyle - Barry Davis (silver, 57 kg), Joe McFarland (silver, 62 kg), Andre Metzger (silver, 69 kg), Dave Schultz (bronze, 74 kg), Jim Scherr (bronze, 90 kg), Bill Scherr (bronze, 100 kg), Bruce Baumgartner (gold, 130 kg)

2003 Ė New York Ė womenís freestyle Ė Patricia Miranda (silver, 48 kg), Jenny Wong (bronze, 51 kg), Tina George (silver, 55 kg), Sally Roberts (bronze, 59 kg), Sara McMann (silver, 62 kg), Kristie Davis (gold, 67 kg), Toccara Montgomery (silver, 72 kg)

2018 Ė Budapest Ė menís freestyle - Joe Colon (bronze, 61 kg), Jordan Burroughs (bronze, 74 kg), Kyle Dake (gold, 79 kg), David Taylor (gold, 86 kg), Jíden Cox (gold, 92 kg), Kyle Snyder (silver, 97 kg), Nick Gwiazdowski (bronze, 125 kg)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Olympic champion Abdulrashid SADULAEV (RUS) earned a first-period fall over returning world and Olympic champion Kyle SNYDER (USA) in the 97kg gold-medal match at the World Championships on Tuesday, exacting revenge from last year's gold-medal match in Paris.

The highly-anticipated showdown, which was billed as Snyderlaev II, lasted just over a minute. Sadulaev fired off a single leg thirty-five seconds into the match. Snyder fought the position and quickly found himself in danger. Sadulaev kept Snyder on his back and secured the fall.

"Everybody knows Sadulaev is a very talented wrestler," Snyder said after the match. "He hit me in a good move and it worked out well for him tonight."

Sadulaev has now won three senior world titles to go along with an Olympic gold medal in Rio. He has suffered just one international loss since 2013. That loss came against Snyder at last year's World Championships.

Russia won the freestyle team title and crowned both freestyle gold medalists on Tuesday. The United States finished second in the team standings, while Georgia finished third.

Magomedrasul GAZIMAGOMEDOV (RUS) claimed Russia's other freestyle gold medal on Tuesday with a 7-6 come-from-behind victory over Adam BATIROV (BRN) in the gold-medal match 70kg. It is Gazimagomedov's second world title and first since 2015.

The 33-year-old Batirov, formerly of Russia, controlled the early part of the match, jumping out to a 6-0 lead at the break after scoring a takedown and turning Gazimagomedov twice with a leg lace.

Gazimagomedov came out strong in the final period. First, he scored a takedown to cut the deficit to four, then two step outs in a span of 10 seconds made the score 6-4 in favor of Batirov with just over a minute remaining. Gazimagomedov continued to force the action against a tired Batirov, and with three seconds left scored a takedown on the edge of the mat to take the victory.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Sadulaev xs Snyder

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses...00209346211840
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

source: http://www.wrestrus.ru/news/Novosti_...otvetstvennost

Sadulaev: "I did not know how the match would go, but I started the match ready to fight till the end. I was ready to wrestle for all 6 minutes, but when I got the chance to finish the match earlier -- why not use it? ... It was very difficult for me this past year, so don't just look at the match that it ended quickly. I waited for this moment the entire year, and I have a hard time finding the right words now. But I say thank you, I am very happy."

You and Snyder were together in the warm up area for 2 days. Did you guys communicate?

We first saw each other in the hotel, we greeted each other, and wished one another success. After that we met on the mat.

Last time you wrestled you had few hours till the final only, now it was an entire day...

Today, I woke up, had breakfast and went to rest. Slept until noon, woke up and waited for the final match.

Recently, you had a daughter. Did you see her already?

I was in Moscow when I learned that I have a daughter. I have not seen her yet in person, did not feel any parental feelings yet, but I was very happy. Birth of my daughter -- it is such a gift, and also motivation, responsibility. I called my daughter Amina -- the mother of prophet Mohammad.

So, the win is for the daughter?

Well, before we boarded the plane, we agreed the wins are for Besik Kudukov. So its for him.

What are you next plans?

I have not been home for a long time, and now I have a daughter there. I will go home, relax, spend time with family, friends -- and then again, start preparing. Quite soon will be the Yarygin tournament and then 2019 is critical as the Olympic slots will start to be determined then. I already have experience with the Olympic Games.
What did you weigh today?

95kg. But I was ready for this worlds, so it doesn't matter what the weight scale shows. I know my opponents cut 5-6kg, but I am already used to the new weight class, feel good there, and I am ready to work more.

You won the worlds for a 3rd time. Are you thinking about setting records? You are only 22 after all...

Well, Karelin won it 9 times. 9! For me to reach this record, its like walking by foot to China. I don't think about records. I have people to aspire to, for instance Karelin wrestled at 4 Olympics and I am not even thinking about a 3rd one right now. Ahead of us -- world championships and second Olympics. So we will go forward in small steps.

Khabib Nurmagomedov is your friend and he won an important UFC fight this montn.

When Khabib was fighting, we were in a training camp. This was Sunday, rest day, so we sat in our rooms, watched and supported him. He also made Conor be responsible for his words. Many things were said about Khabib's Dad, our religion, and our country. I am using this opportunity to tell all athletes, from all sports: if you don't have a medal on your neck or a belt around your waist, don't talk so much trash, you will be sorry later.

Snyder also talked a lot about you, how you have bad coaches and improper training.

Before we left for Hungary, I saw one of his interviews, where he said I have bad coaches, who force me to wrestle in 97kg. As if I have not chance there and I cannot win against him. But one has to be responsible for their words. Kyle Snyder is a great competitor and opponent, Olympic champion. But lately, he was talking too much, and he got what he wanted. I want to tell Snyder and all others: I can be doubtful for many things, but not in my skills and my coaches. I hope I have closed this discussion forever and we don't have to talk about it again.

Your win -- is it a gift for Putin?

I know that last year Putin watched my match. I was so ashamed I lost...but this year I managed to win. You see, professional sport does not like long breaks. I want to tell everyone: I lost last year because I did a huge pause, too big. I was not ready fully for the tournament. The loss last year was useful at the end, as it motivated me greatly to train more. And now I am ready to show everyone my superiority.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

National Pride

Last year when Sadulaev lost to Snyder he was ashamed for himself because he let his country down. So he took responsibility for his loss. He showed a lot of national pride. What are the USA wrestlers competing for? Endorsements or US pride? I see when Thielke lost the other day, all he did was blame his coaches for not training him for the situation that he lost in. Really, blame your coaches? They didn't wrestle the match. Thielke has been wrestling Greco for a long time. No excuse for not being prepared. Do some homework and watch videos of your opponents. Owes his coaches a big apology and should be ashamed he lost for his country and should show a little better national pride if he is lucky enough to wear USA on his chest again.
Sponsored Links