Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 03-30-2017
Varsity

Front page of themat.com is this article about the one and only Jesse Delgado:

Here's a snippet from the article:

Quote:
Graduating from Illinois in 2015, two-time NCAA champion Delgado took what he felt was a much-needed break from wrestling. He suffered from shoulder and hamstring injuries his senior year.

“After college, I couldn’t do much because of my shoulder and hamstring, so I took some time off to recover,” Delgado said. “At that point, I just needed a break from it. After rehab, I was training with the MMA guys and going back and forth from Chicago to Champaign. One day, I just missed it a little bit more than usual.”

That day came this past summer when former Illini teammate Zane Richards came to the MMA gym in Chicago where Delgado was training.

“We were just flowing around and playing in positions and I was like, ‘wow, I miss it,’” he said.

Shortly after, Delgado was offered the volunteer assistant coach position at his alma mater. Since then, he has immersed himself more in the wrestling world and has begun training freestyle, a discipline he hadn’t competed in since 2012.
What he has to say about a future in MMA is exciting. I'm glad, though, that he's concentrating on Freestyle for now. Here's what I think: Delgado is like a Political Scientist when it comes to wrestling. He's a Wrestling Scientist. He figures out positions and innovates and then uses raw desire to make things happen.

His funk, on the whole, will not be overly useful under Freestyle rules, and it will in some cases be detrimental, but he will pick and choose the right positions and figure it out. Remember, he's a Wrestling Scientist. In that way, he reminds me a little of John Smith, who is mentioned in the article.

Delgado always had the great single leg and the determination of a Lion. Now, he just needs to figure out what works for him in Freestyle.

GO DELGADO!!!
Old 04-14-2017
Varsity

Time to put my ill-whini hat back on!!!!!!!!!!

WHINE #1

There's an article at themat.com which highlights eight potential Senior Men's matches at the US Open in Freestyle. This is one of the featured matchups:

Quote:
57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Nico Megaludis (Titan Mercury WC) vs. Jesse Delgado (Titan Mercury WC)

Megaludis and Delgado boast a storied rivalry dating back to their college days, Megaludis at Penn State and Delgado at Illinois. The two scrambling lightweights met five times in college between dual meet competition and postseason play with Delgado holding the series edge 3-2. In 2013, Delgado edged Megaludis 7-4 in the NCAA finals. Since moving on from the college ranks, Megaludis has established himself as a World Team contender as evident by gold medal wins at the Bill Farrell International and Paris International this season. Conversely, Delgado took time off the mat following his college career before making a comeback this year. He scored a bronze at the Cerro Pellado International back in February. Two questions come into play for this matchup. Is Megaludis ready to ascend to the top of the 57 kg ranks in the U.S. and is Delgado capable of making a run after such an extensive layoff?
First, they misspelled Delgado's name. It's spelled "S-U-P-E-R-M-A-N." Secondly, they use 32 words to describe one-time NCAA Champion Megaludis' post-collegiate accomplishments. They use only 29 words to describe two-time NCAA Champion Superman's. Lastly, they describe Megaludis before they describe the two-time NCAA Champ.

Okay, I'm kinda just pulling your leg a little with this, but still.... Some are wondering if Superman's "funk style" will translate into freestyle success. They forget that Jesse Delgado has an incredible single leg. Moreover, he just went down to train for a short time with John Smith, who is the Godfather of the freestyle single leg.

How many times did Delgado shoot a single leg on Megaludis only to have the PSU wrestler use his gumby splits? I'm thinking he better have a different defense of the Delgado single at the Open, or Jesse will just use a finger on his forehead to push him down to get back exposure, or maybe lock up a cradle like he did in the NCAA Championships (7:17 of this video).

WHINE #2

If that wasn't enough, there was another part of the article that pissed me off. After you read this, I have a question for you:

Quote:
70 kg/154 lbs. – James Green (Titan Mercury WC) vs. Jason Nolf (Nittany Lion WC)

As soon as James Green exited the 157-pound NCAA scene as a four-time All-American for Nebraska, Jason Nolf entered with a vigor, now a two-time NCAA finalist and NCAA champion after his sophomore season at Penn State. Green has made two senior-level World Teams and owns a World bronze medal from 2015. Nolf has been a consistent performer at the junior level the past two years, but came of short of making a Junior World Team. After an exceptionally dominant NCAA season, Nolf will look to ascend to the top of the senior ranks. A showdown with Green will shed light on the young Nittany Lion’s ability to perform at this level.
I know a wrestler who is a combined 4-1 against these two guys, and he may be at that weight in Las Vegas. Can you guess who I'm thinking of? (I don't know that he will be there, but, hey, he might.).
Old 04-18-2017
Varsity

So, the boys at FLO decide to preview the US Open at 57kg freestyle, and they start off their article like this:

I gotta problem with that.

(Please consider this Jesse Delgado's personal bulletinboard, full of Jesse Delgado bulletinboard material. Thank you, and Good Night!).
Old 04-20-2017

Anyone know if Imar will be going to the us open next week?
Old 04-23-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSanto View Post
Anyone know if Imar will be going to the us open next week?
I don't know. I looked up IMAR's twitter to see if there was anything. He looks like a full-size IMAR in the latest picture, so I don't think he's going down to 65kg. Maybe 70kg? I tried to look up registered athletes but couldn't find the list.

Finally, and totally irrelevant to your question, ElSanto, I tried to embed a tweet of IMAR as "The Flying ILLINI," but the embed machine isn't working, so here's a link.
Old 04-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
I don't know. I looked up IMAR's twitter to see if there was anything. He looks like a full-size IMAR in the latest picture, so I don't think he's going down to 65kg. Maybe 70kg? I tried to look up registered athletes but couldn't find the list.

Finally, and totally irrelevant to your question, ElSanto, I tried to embed a tweet of IMAR as "The Flying ILLINI," but the embed machine isn't working, so here's a link.

Actually I just found this interview. He is not going to the Open but is going to try to qualify for the World Team Trials through Northern Plaines.

https://youtu.be/lv9FNegtqqE

I saw your video a while back. Has to have some sort of gymnastics background to be throwing double backs like that. Incredible athlete.
Old 04-25-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSanto View Post
Actually I just found this interview. He is not going to the Open but is going to try to qualify for the World Team Trials through Northern Plaines.

https://youtu.be/lv9FNegtqqE

I saw your video a while back. Has to have some sort of gymnastics background to be throwing double backs like that. Incredible athlete.
I watched the interview. Very excellent! Sounds like IMAR is going to graduate this year or this Summer and be a graduate student for his final year.

The interview also answered the question about what he will be doing for Summer Freestyle. Looking forward to it!

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2017
Varsity

Was watching some of Jesse Delgado's matches against top comp the other day and noticed that he used two main kinds of single leg attacks, and it reminded me of a shark and its prey.

The first variety is the "bump," which is similar to when a shark comes upon something that might be prey. Just a little sniff around to see if the shark wants the prey and gauge its defenses.

He tried these against the best of the best, including McDonough, Garrett and Megaludis, and he almost never paid a price even though he would usually get in pretty deep.

These were what I thought we're middle-school-level takedown attempts, but I'm rethinking that. I think the "Shark Theory" better explains what's going on. Plus, the strategy is excellent for wearing out your opponent (if you have a fitness or heart advantage like Jesse), and those are pretty deep attempts, so you stave off any stalling or passivity calls.

Then, the Shark attacks at full speed, teeth barred.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 04-26-2017
Varsity

A couple of additional thoughts:

1. Jesse will have to figure out how to keep from being flipped over once he's in on a single. I bet that was something he talked to John Smith about when he went down there to train recently.

2. Allowing a defender 2 or 3 points for flipping over the offensive wrestler, who is taking all the risk, is a punk-@$# rule.

3. I think #1 above has got to worry the others in the 57kg field.

4. My description of Delgado's "bump" single --

"This is your captain. We're still about 15 miles out of Urbana, over Mahomet right now, and we'll be starting our descent. If you look over on your right you can see Savoy. We'll have touch down on Nico Megaludis' legs shortly. Have a great day, and thanks for flying Delgado."
Old 04-26-2017
Obi-Wan Kenobi

I'm more interested in his single leg defense. His signature leg pass is suicide in freestyle. Also interested in seeing if he completely abandons the 2 steps back 1 step forward setup to his attacks that he was pretty good at. Against an always forward handfighter like Ramos it could be effective if he can avoid pushouts and passivity calls.

I think not listing Delgado as a favorite is less of a diss and more thinking that the style that he used to win NCAA titles will not translate well to senior level freestyle.