Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Husky Nationals- CANCELLED

We regret to inform you that the Husky Nationals has been cancelled.

All wrestlers that were registered for the event will receive a full refund.

We were very excited to run this event. As you all know, Illinois has great youth wrestling.

At the end of the day, there were just too many modifications that we needed to make to comply with the local bylaws. The way we run our MWT events works well for us and the participants. Having to stray from our current format is ultimately why we made this decision.

We know some people were skeptical about the MWT bringing an event to Illinois, which is understandable. We really wanted the opportunity to win over those people. We are very confident that we would have. Nothing sells our events better than actually attending one.

A big thank you to the DeKalb wrestling crew, Ray Winesburg and Mike Urwin. You were all very helpful along the way.

We are planning on finding a replacement for this event so that the tour will once again have four events for the 2018-19 season. Please check the MWT website for updates.

Sincerely,
The MWT Staff
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Junior Varsity

That is disappointing on so many different levels.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Junior Varsity

Who was skeptical to hold this event in IL? You chose a high school rather than arena or pavilion like you normally would to host this event. To cancel this event was because of not being allowed to charge coaches. Thats ridiculous considering you had to save a fortune by hosting it in a high school. This tournament wouldve made a fortune. There wasnt a single modification that had to be made in the way the tournament was ran. No bylaw altered the tournament format or layout. Only thing that stopped this tournament was greed. That said, thank you big bash for always running winter nationals. A tournament that has as many if not more than any of the MWT events. Completes in 1 day and doesnt cost a family $100 to watch "or coach" their kids wrestle. Hope people get out there and start registering. MWT lost a lot of credibility and character w/ the greed it displayed.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Junior Varsity

It's a shame, these were quality events. Dekalb has a large field house so if it was a cheaper venue than NIU I would have given a pass on it; Gopher was at a HS last year and it was a great venue.

At the end of the day it came down to a money grab. Maybe going back to South Dakota and swiss cheese 16 man brackets makes more sense than having large brackets in exchange for free coaches bands. Pretty pissed off about it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfat145 View Post
It's a shame, these were quality events. Dekalb has a large field house so if it was a cheaper venue than NIU I would have given a pass on it; Gopher was at a HS last year and it was a great venue.

At the end of the day it came down to a money grab. Maybe going back to South Dakota and swiss cheese 16 man brackets makes more sense than having large brackets in exchange for free coaches bands. Pretty pissed off about it.
The numbers here wouldve been near 800-1000 imho. Even with sparty & JT, they wouldve made a killing. I understand the unfortunate times a tournament cancels because low numbers on registration. I get that. I never seen 1 cancel because it wouldve made 10s of thousands in profit and that wasnt acceptable. I know people from OH, LA, MO, KY, GA, & NC that i was talking w/ who planned on coming that have never did tour events. Obviously they too were disappointed. MWT says it will hold a 4th event elsewhere, no chance it will have the #s it wouldve had in IL. No respect for that series
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

What, specifically, were the modifications that would have had to be made?

Were they to comply with IKWF rules, IHSA rules, local or school rules? If so, which?

Please be specific, as I am confused by this as I was made to understand that this was supposed to be a done deal and by bringing a big tournament series to a huge youth wrestling state would have benefited all.
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
What, specifically, were the modifications that would have had to be made?

Were they to comply with IKWF rules, IHSA rules, local or school rules? If so, which?

Please be specific, as I am confused by this as I was made to understand that this was supposed to be a done deal and by bringing a big tournament series to a huge youth wrestling state would have benefited all.
No IKWF rules would have detoured this event from running the way it always has in the past. The only difference in this tournament wouldve been they couldnt charge coaches roughly $35-40/coach. As previously mentioned in a post about the venue being at dekalb high school, id have to agree that even if there was 200 coaches, dekalb high school had to be every bit of at least $5k cheaper than some of the places this event is held in. Once IKWF cleared it, we all believed it was a done deal. No word of where or if this event will now be moved to. It wouldve been a great event to have here in IL. Curious what the numbers wouldve been had they kept this event here. It would be hard to imagine there wouldnt have been almost 2x the number of participants than there was when buffalo nationals. Cant see any reason not to believe this wouldnt have brought in competitors from southern states that normally wouldnt make the travel such as missouri, or states like kentucky and Tennessee. Its insulting for them to say it couldnt have ran normal as if IL is that stupid not to know the real reason it was cancelled and thats money. It was huge mistake on their part because it wouldve been there biggest event of the tour. People mentioned it being on same weekend as sparty or joe tholl wouldve hurt this event. That couldnt have been further from the truth. Only a handful of kids go to sparty. Some go for duals only and fewer just for individuals. Joe tholl posed no threat to this event. No matter what weekend this event took place, other than state series, this event wouldve had huge numbers.
Old 1 Week Ago

Coaches Fee

$35-40 per coach, that's ridiculous. Why don't they have it in March after state tourneys are over. I do agree it's all about greed. Youth sports aren't supposed to create jobs. It's all about the kids. Glad they pulled the event. Let's support the hard working IKWF and IESA programs in our own state.
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

I'm glad the IKWF has the rule about "no coach pay". I'm also glad they are sticking to the rule. It would have been great to bring some good out of state competition to us for a change. But if that rule prevented MYAS from a money grab, that is what they deserve. They weren't willing to meet Illinois wrestling halfway.

Losing this tournament is a loss but not a huge one. I have been to a number of their events and they have solid competition - not outstanding competition. They run a good tournament - not as good as Ambrose/Big Bash.
Old 1 Week Ago
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy's Brands View Post
I'm glad the IKWF has the rule about "no coach pay". I'm also glad they are sticking to the rule. It would have been great to bring some good out of state competition to us for a change. But if that rule prevented MYAS from a money grab, that is what they deserve. They weren't willing to meet Illinois wrestling halfway.

Losing this tournament is a loss but not a huge one. I have been to a number of their events and they have solid competition - not outstanding competition. They run a good tournament - not as good as Ambrose/Big Bash.
I strongly agree. But they wouldve still made money. Not like this event was taking place at rosemont convention center or all state arena. It was at dekalb high school. The only thing keeping winter nationals from drawing a certain pool of kids or states is because its age based. Its the only reason you dont see some kids come from other states because they cant get away with the holdback advantage when you have 9yr old 2nd graders, 11yr old 4th graders, etc etc. But its what makes winter nationals great. Its an even playing field. For the parents or kids that cant handle not having that grade advantage, they tend to stay away from age based events, not all but a good number.
Sponsored Links