Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 01-22-2017
Varsity

CCL Awards

Just my two cents:
I think it is great that Manzella won Coach of year honors and O'Connor was definitely the best wrestler. However, how could you look past the accomplishments of Coach Reynolds and Wrestler Riojas? I know this was Danny's going away party since he is retiring but SR is way down. Here is my logic.

Marmion graduated 5 D-1 wrestlers last year and started a freshman and 8 sophomores this year placing in all 14 weight classes to win the toughest tournament in the state and one of the best in the nation. I also think Reynolds and Healy are the only two in the decorated history of the CCL to win as a wrestler and as a coach.

Riojas just won his 4th CCL Individual championship and joined some rare company so should have gotten an award although the DeLasalle HWT had a great tourney and they hosted the event.

Bottom line is take the sentimental favorites away and give the awards to those who deserve them most IMO. Great tournament by all and congrats to ALL wrestlers and coaches. Good luck in the State series!
Old 01-22-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.Z. View Post
Just my two cents:
I think it is great that Manzella won Coach of year honors and O'Connor was definitely the best wrestler. However, how could you look past the accomplishments of Coach Reynolds and Wrestler Riojas? I know this was Danny's going away party since he is retiring but SR is way down. Here is my logic.

Marmion graduated 5 D-1 wrestlers last year and started a freshman and 8 sophomores this year placing in all 14 weight classes to win the toughest tournament in the state and one of the best in the nation. I also think Reynolds and Healy are the only two in the decorated history of the CCL to win as a wrestler and as a coach.

Riojas just won his 4th CCL Individual championship and joined some rare company so should have gotten an award although the DeLasalle HWT had a great tourney and they hosted the event.

Bottom line is take the sentimental favorites away and give the awards to those who deserve them most IMO. Great tournament by all and congrats to ALL wrestlers and coaches. Good luck in the State series!
Well said C.A.Z but there are rare occasions wheny your body of work in a particular conference may give a edge when it comes down to it like oconner its more about the end result and the career in my mind even if he won every match 3-2 in overtime this year its his OW AWARD .
but in Manzella case he deserves to be recognized for his contribution to the league over his time in the ccl ....but in this conference with the rosters of decorated studs as well as adleasttwo hall of fame coaches Healy and Izzy who in my opinion is the best or as good as anybody in the country at running a program and producing results ...and no matter if #1 in the country or a novice wrestler You will improve and stay on task and goal oriented under Montini staff and excel.
But they all are looking up at marmion today and I absolutely agree he is the coach of the year
Old 01-22-2017
Junior Varsity

I have seen AOC get the OW in 4 tournaments. He is a great wrestler and has accomplished great things over his high school career but it is a travesty that he is automatically getting the OW everywhere he steps on the mat. Being a 4 time winner of a tournament shouldn't be the only criteria that gets 1 the OW. Each tournament is an individual accomplishment. The DeLaSalle HWT wowed the crowd with how he dominated his competition. Using moves rarely seen at that weight class. There are other kids I could mention that wasn't even looked at for OW because it was predetermined to give it to AOC.
Old 01-22-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasdragon View Post
I have seen AOC get the OW in 4 tournaments. He is a great wrestler and has accomplished great things over his high school career but it is a travesty that he is automatically getting the OW everywhere he steps on the mat. Being a 4 time winner of a tournament shouldn't be the only criteria that gets 1 the OW. Each tournament is an individual accomplishment. The DeLaSalle HWT wowed the crowd with how he dominated his competition. Using moves rarely seen at that weight class. There are other kids I could mention that wasn't even looked at for OW because it was predetermined to give it to AOC.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Lawless award is given to the senior that has had the best four years. In any other year Riojas probably wins it, but hard to argue 3 state titles and 4 dvorak and cheesehead titles. Not hard to argue, impossible to. Solomon Smith won the OW of the tournament meaning the people that voted for him thought he wrestled the best that day. The Lawless coach award isn't always given to the winning coach. Don't see a problem giving it so someone who has been coaching for a decade and puts out a respectable program every year.
Old 01-22-2017
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
I don't believe Dan Manzella is retiring. He is going to continue as an assistant and Mike Boyd will be the head coach. In addition, based on a conversation I had with Dan, he and Brian Harney (2xState champ, Mt Carmel) are going to be rebooting the Vitum Cats kids program.

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 01-22-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.Z. View Post
Just my two cents:

You know each team votes on these awards? If you feel this is an unqualified process, please, by all means, contact the AD's of the CCL to request a change. Furthermore, if any wrestler or coach is worried about awards other than 1st place, they're not focused on the right goals. Accomplishments speak for themselves.
Old 01-22-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstick View Post
Well said C.A.Z but there are rare occasions wheny your body of work in a particular conference may give a edge when it comes down to it like oconner its more about the end result and the career in my mind even if he won every match 3-2 in overtime this year its his OW AWARD .
but in Manzella case he deserves to be recognized for his contribution to the league over his time in the ccl ....but in this conference with the rosters of decorated studs as well as adleasttwo hall of fame coaches Healy and Izzy who in my opinion is the best or as good as anybody in the country at running a program and producing results ...and no matter if #1 in the country or a novice wrestler You will improve and stay on task and goal oriented under Montini staff and excel.
But they all are looking up at marmion today and I absolutely agree he is the coach of the year
Almost ran out of breath reading these long sentences

Awards are great and all. But I'm sure everyone can agree that Pete Rose doesn't need to be in the HOF to be known as the best hitter of all time.
( that would be an analogy)
Old 01-23-2017
Wrestling Media

20 years of observations and inside knowledge....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasdragon View Post
Ok while I understand your points let's understand the CCL conferences purpose or definition of each award.

Tony Lawless Award: Goes to the TOP SENIOR in the conference based on his body of work in the conference over a 4 year span. It has happened three times where a 4x champ did not get the TL Award. MC's Milton Blakley lost out to 3x winner and teamate TJ Williams in 2003, MC's Charles Lloyd lost out to Fenwick's Dave Herrera and John Starzyk lost out to Albert White in 2007.

There are 14, 4x winners since the first one in 1983, by Providence's Keith Healy. O'Connor joins Albert White and Jahwon Akui (2011) as SR's third and Riojas joins Joe Williams, Milton Blakley, Charles Lloyd and Mario Morgan (2006) as MC's fifth. St. Laurence has three, Providence two and Fenwick has one.

Outstanding Wrestler: Goes to the best wrestler in the conference championship and is award to anyone regardless of year in school.

Coaches Tony Lawless Award: Goes to the best coach in the conference. I have usually seen it awarded to the coach that wins the title but have also seen the sentlemental vote as well.

Sportsmanship Award: First year seeing this but it seems pretty self explanitory.

All awards are voted on by the coaches and often ballots are turned in before the finals are completed.

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 01-23-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Sponsored Links