Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 06-13-2018
Olympian

After easily winning 3A, I doubt Montini would even want to be in 2A. Props to 2a and 1a, tought guys at all levels, but most of those guys are probably going to wrestle in college and 3A has more of the competition they would want - even with the CCL competition, more horses in public league...(it is not a BS rule to move up if you win hardware twice, seems reasonable.) A problem with HS sports is competition level issues which is created by conferences. Teams should be able to opt out of terrible mis-matches that just waste everyone's time.
Old 06-13-2018
Crystal Lake

Automatic Multiplier Waiver

Everyone likes to talk about the "Success Adjustment", but to me the automatic multiplier waiver is more interesting.

The success adjustment = If you're really good more than once over the past 4 years, you move up a class.

Multiplier Waiver = If you're pretty good over the past 4 years or really good once during the past four years, you lose your automatic waiver which - depending on your enrollment in the first place, may or may not move you up a class.

Two timely examples are Aurora Christian and Marian Central. Both schools, by virtue of their recent success, lost their automatic waiver for this coming year. This means absolutely nothing, because the enrollments of the schools were so low to begin with that even after multiplying by 1.65, they're still not close to being moved up a class.

Funny part is, that in other sports, like Marian's girls golf team, which accomplished the exact same level of success that the wrestling team did (Qualified for state one time), the loss of the multiplier moved them up a class for the next 4 years.
Old 06-14-2018
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
After easily winning 3A, I doubt Montini would even want to be in 2A. Props to 2a and 1a, tought guys at all levels, but most of those guys are probably going to wrestle in college and 3A has more of the competition they would want - even with the CCL competition, more horses in public league...(it is not a BS rule to move up if you win hardware twice, seems reasonable.) A problem with HS sports is competition level issues which is created by conferences. Teams should be able to opt out of terrible mis-matches that just waste everyone's time.
What makes the rule BS is that it is only applied to certain schools. A public school can reel off 20 straight titles and not be moved up while a private school can take 4th twice in 4 years and be considered too successful for that level... even if the kids that got you there graduated. BS
Old 06-14-2018
Olympian

Others multiplied but class not effected seem to be in 1A Althoff, IC, and Walther. In 2A we have Providence joining these ranks.
PK2 & Papa please help me comprehend. I was reading where beginning next year when you are multiplied or (I think) success factored it will be for a 2 year cycle instead of 4. What was missed by me or not mentioned is whether the accomplishments that got you multiplied will now also be on a 2 yr. basis or does it stay at 4?
Old 06-14-2018
Crystal Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
Others multiplied but class not effected seem to be in 1A Althoff, IC, and Walther. In 2A we have Providence joining these ranks.
PK2 & Papa please help me comprehend. I was reading where beginning next year when you are multiplied or (I think) success factored it will be for a 2 year cycle instead of 4. What was missed by me or not mentioned is whether the accomplishments that got you multiplied will now also be on a 2 yr. basis or does it stay at 4?
My understanding is that every school will only have the possibility to change classification every two years, rather than every year as it is now. However, the 4 year cycle of calculating waivers and success adjustments did not change.

So - if you are a non-boundaried school and earned 2 trophies in the last 4 years, you will get adjusted or if you earned enough "success points" in the last 4 years, you will lose your waiver. However, that is examined only every other year.

That's how I read it. Full text of proposal here.

The IHSA board minutes indicate that proposal 1 and 4 were approved, which makes me think that 2 and 3 were not approved.
Old 06-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpowerfuloz View Post
Very insightful post. You are exactly right kids attending private schools don't have to pay tuition, their parents don't make sacrifices to send them to private school. Private schools shouldn't recruit because who cares about them staying open and people's job's that would be lost. They should not feel like they accomplished anything because you're right about their trophy being bought, no hard work goes into it at all. Why can't private schools be like every public school and only use the kids that are from their district? Private schools should take note from public schools and not recruit and not get move ins...
If the kid is good enough, the private schools will offer "scholarships" to make it work financially...so don't even go there. Aurora Christian will probably win their second state championship and I doubt anyone will come close to beating them in the state series. It's a lot easier to find 14 kids, especially in the Aurora area, than it is to get lucky in a small high school to get 14 kids that are spread out properly to field a competitive team.

Another example of this is Marian Central in Woodstock. It's year 2 and they are already better than Crystal Lake Central....c'mon now. When you have coaches/"friends of the program" that will go out and do the recruiting the surrounding schools are at such a disadvantage to compete.
Old 06-16-2018
Varsity

Montini did not easily win state

OPRF took the lead with 3 weights to go, they were a match away from losing
Old 06-16-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWTilt View Post
If the kid is good enough, the private schools will offer "scholarships" to make it work financially...so don't even go there. Aurora Christian will probably win their second state championship and I doubt anyone will come close to beating them in the state series. It's a lot easier to find 14 kids, especially in the Aurora area, than it is to get lucky in a small high school to get 14 kids that are spread out properly to field a competitive team.
Another example of this is Marian Central in Woodstock. It's year 2 and they are already better than Crystal Lake Central....c'mon now. When you have coaches/"friends of the program" that will go out and do the recruiting the surrounding schools are at such a disadvantage to compete.
Do some quick math $12,000 X 14. You really think ANY private school can afford that or has those kind of resources? Instead of crying follow what Sandburg started and OPRF made famous and what Lockport and Washington are now following. Get a good coach, good feeder program, make a tough schedule and kids will want to be apart of your program even if it means they have to move.
Old 06-16-2018

Quote:
Do some quick math $12,000 X 14. You really think ANY private school can afford that or has those kind of resources? Instead of crying follow what Sandburg started and OPRF made famous and what Lockport and Washington are now following. Get a good coach, good feeder program, make a tough schedule and kids will want to be apart of your program even if it means they have to move.
Thanks for proving my point that you have to be a one of the largest schools in Illinois to compete with these private schools. The exception is Washington but they're a growing town that's a suburb of a major city, where they have more bodies to recruit from/have move-in. I'm sure in time they'll get their numbers closer to the OPRF/Lock/Sandburg size. At the end of the day you need bodies with talent and if you're a smaller school, it's going to be a statistical oddity that you could compete with an Aurora Christian, Marian Central (either one), PC's , etc...
Old 06-19-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Two of those at least did it without one particular feeder program, didn't quite like their own towns feeder program - many times the elite kids will go to a neighboring town's IKWF team - just sayin, but I don't name names...It works that way in all sports though, kids go where a team will make it to the Championship because that helps get college looks, if not scholarships...- at least in their or their parents mind. Probably more so in other sports, in the end wrestling is more an individual sport than team sport.