Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 02-26-2018
Varsity

Thoughts about Illini lineup for 2018 season

Since we are rapidly approaching the end of the current year, I was soliciting ideas about the Illini lineup for next year. I think it's fair to say that 125, 133, 141 and 184 will be the same. How about the rest of the weights? Is Montalvo going to be back at 174? Who is going to replace Langenderfer at 157 and Martinez at 165? Will anyone take Barone's place at 149 or Lee's place at 197? Is "The Deuce" already penciled in for next year?
Old 02-26-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
Since we are rapidly approaching the end of the current year, I was soliciting ideas about the Illini lineup for next year. I think it's fair to say that 125, 133, 141 and 184 will be the same. How about the rest of the weights? Is Montalvo going to be back at 174? Who is going to replace Langenderfer at 157 and Martinez at 165? Will anyone take Barone's place at 149 or Lee's place at 197? Is "The Deuce" already penciled in for next year?
Justin Meijia could be in the mix next year I'm the lower weights. Not sure if he could make 125 or not, but keep in mind Piotrowski still has a reshirt year to use. It could be a situation where either Duncan or Meijia move up to 141 in the future and Carr moves up to 149. That could leave Barone on the outside looking in or he could move up to 157. In the mix at 157 and 165 for next year will likely include Mologusis, Carver James and perhaps Jack Stein (Mason, OH) and maybe even the smaller Braunagel brother. From what I have heard about Montalvo, It remains to be seen whether or not Illinois turns out to be a good fit for him. That would leave 174 as a big question mark next year. I doubt too many people would argue with the notion that Riojas could use a redshirt year before he's ready to prove that he's the long term answer at 174. I would think Wroblewski takes the 197 spot next year. As pleasantly surprised as I am with Duece this year, I really hope they can find someone to bring in at 285 to challenge him. Maybe he will become an AA caliber 285, but I think it would be to the Illini's advantage to beef up the depth at that weight.
Old 02-26-2018

Lineup next year

Good stuff by the previous poster. I think Mejia is in the mix next year for sure at 125 with Pio taking a redshirt. Barone keeps his spot without much of a challenge which speaks to how poor the depth is at many weights. I want to believe James will slide in at 157 but he has almost never wrestled since heís been here so I think Danny Braunagel takes this spot from day 1. Heís an offensive minded kid who should adjust quickly to college wrestling. 165 will likely be Riojas or Mologusis with Punke being a wild card. 174 will be Zach Braunagel unless someone really steps up over the summer. The Braunagels are exciting and fearless and I see them growing very quickly into both stalwarts and fan favorites. 197 better be Wrobleski. Andre Lee has shown he can hang with anyone but cannot win. Looks like he hates wrestling to me. HVY is a sad state in terms of depth. There is literally none. Our overall lack of depth is quite alarming. It goes to show you that kids donít want to walk on here like they do at most other schools. I do believe that is changing though with the hiring of Poeta and the new IRTC coach.
Old 02-26-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxter118 View Post
Good stuff by the previous poster. I think Mejia is in the mix next year for sure at 125 with Pio taking a redshirt. Barone keeps his spot without much of a challenge which speaks to how poor the depth is at many weights. I want to believe James will slide in at 157 but he has almost never wrestled since heís been here so I think Danny Braunagel takes this spot from day 1. Heís an offensive minded kid who should adjust quickly to college wrestling. 165 will likely be Riojas or Mologusis with Punke being a wild card. 174 will be Zach Braunagel unless someone really steps up over the summer. The Braunagels are exciting and fearless and I see them growing very quickly into both stalwarts and fan favorites. 197 better be Wrobleski. Andre Lee has shown he can hang with anyone but cannot win. Looks like he hates wrestling to me. HVY is a sad state in terms of depth. There is literally none. Our overall lack of depth is quite alarming. It goes to show you that kids donít want to walk on here like they do at most other schools. I do believe that is changing though with the hiring of Poeta and the new IRTC coach.
I think Pio will outgrow 125. So, it's possible that next year Mejia takes over 125, Pio moves up to 133 and both Duncan and Carr move up a weight. That puts us in pretty good shape up through 149. I have no clue about 157 as I have not seen or heard anything about Carver James. I would not want to see Riojas at 165 or at all next year as he needs a full year in the practice/weight room. Don't know much about Mologousis except that he lost in his final match at state. I have heard some good things about the Braunagel brothers, but it seems one of them is rated higher than the other. I don't know which. I hope they are physically ready to step in, because Riojas wasn't and it showed all year. I agree with you about Lee at 197. If Wrobleski cannot beat him out, that would say a lot. I agree with you about 285. I have gained a lot of respect for Deuce this past year, but he is undersized against most of the bigs in the Big 10. I don't know if we have anyone coming in who could take over.
Old 02-26-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
Justin Meijia could be in the mix next year I'm the lower weights. Not sure if he could make 125 or not, but keep in mind Piotrowski still has a reshirt year to use. It could be a situation where either Duncan or Meijia move up to 141 in the future and Carr moves up to 149. That could leave Barone on the outside looking in or he could move up to 157. In the mix at 157 and 165 for next year will likely include Mologusis, Carver James and perhaps Jack Stein (Mason, OH) and maybe even the smaller Braunagel brother. From what I have heard about Montalvo, It remains to be seen whether or not Illinois turns out to be a good fit for him. That would leave 174 as a big question mark next year. I doubt too many people would argue with the notion that Riojas could use a redshirt year before he's ready to prove that he's the long term answer at 174. I would think Wroblewski takes the 197 spot next year. As pleasantly surprised as I am with Duece this year, I really hope they can find someone to bring in at 285 to challenge him. Maybe he will become an AA caliber 285, but I think it would be to the Illini's advantage to beef up the depth at that weight.
Agree with everything you said. Lot's of question marks in the second half of the lineup with no sure answers.
Sponsored Links