Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-22-2018
Dondo Dondo is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Homewood
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you here, but it does make me think of Bo Nickal's post match quote where he said, "I've been doing that move since I was six years old."
To me it looked like the same move Dylan Ness (Minn) did quite often?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-22-2018
PapaBearSLIM's Avatar
PapaBearSLIM PapaBearSLIM is offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wakanda
Posts: 5,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondo View Post
To me it looked like the same move Dylan Ness (Minn) did quite often?
"Gator bacon"
https://youtu.be/mrMgYnpvoTc
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-22-2018
Blonjuan44's Avatar
Blonjuan44 Blonjuan44 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
They have been doing that move since 1882 in Judo (Tomoe nage (巴投): Circle throw) One nice thing in Judo is that there are not 20 different names for the same move.
__________________
There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-23-2018
Crystal Clearly Crystal Clearly is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
They have been doing that move since 1882 in Judo (Tomoe nage (巴投): Circle throw) One nice thing in Judo is that there are not 20 different names for the same move.
All due respect to Judo, but the only thing about Nickal's move against Martin that even closely resembles that judo move was that the opponents momentum is used against him, other than that not so much (at all ).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...28OCacI8LqEf1C

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...lYhBjXxSG7ggM9

Wait for it...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...HJJ86Th3SGXDqR
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-23-2018
Blonjuan44's Avatar
Blonjuan44 Blonjuan44 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
All due respect to Judo, but the only thing about Nickal's move against Martin that even closely resembles that judo move was that the opponents momentum is used against him, other than that not so much (at all ).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...28OCacI8LqEf1C

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...lYhBjXxSG7ggM9

Wait for it...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...HJJ86Th3SGXDqR
Thanks for taking the bait, prepare for extensive judo in wrestling links - loosely related to that move...but not on a Friday night, I do my best posting when I should be working - so until then - cheers!, thanks for the reply.
__________________
There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

Last edited by Blonjuan44; 03-23-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-23-2018
Crystal Clearly Crystal Clearly is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
Thanks for taking the bait, prepare for extensive judo in wrestling links - loosely related to that move...but not on a Friday night, I do my best posting when I should be working - so until then - cheers!, thanks for the reply.
So, since your background is obviously in judo, and you obviously were waiting for someone to post about the obvious differences in those two moves, you obviously have a counter argument against my point.
Congratulations.

Well, while you are waiting for work to start on Monday, chew on this...

While judo may trace its roots back farther than wrestling, wrestling is wholly considered the oldest sport in the world.

BTW - I really don't (or won't) care about your "extensive judo in wrestling links - loosely related to that move..."
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-24-2018
Mr. White Mr. White is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondo View Post
To me it looked like the same move Dylan Ness (Minn) did quite often?
Stolen from a youtube comment on Bo Nickal's match.
If you go to Penn State, you win big matches. It's what you do!
If you change to Geico, you save 15% or more on your car insurance.
It's what you do!
__________________

"No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time...all you got is life time!"
-Henry Rollins
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-26-2018
Blonjuan44's Avatar
Blonjuan44 Blonjuan44 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
So, since your background is obviously in judo, and you obviously were waiting for someone to post about the obvious differences in those two moves, you obviously have a counter argument against my point.
Congratulations.

Well, while you are waiting for work to start on Monday, chew on this...

While judo may trace its roots back farther than wrestling, wrestling is wholly considered the oldest sport in the world.

BTW - I really don't (or won't) care about your "extensive judo in wrestling links - loosely related to that move..."
No, I don't have an extensive in Judo. I wrestled ikwf through hs, and so did my kids. My kids did Judo also, that was the best thing I did for my kids wrestling., but they were not elite wrestlers - didn't need them to be- I only had them in wrestling for the basic self defense aspect when they were young...they stayed after that for their own reasons. I liked that they did judo because it was basically self defense with-in wrestling, which can be brutal on the open practice mat with limited supervision on large teams. If somebody is being a jerk to you on the mat as a kid, it is good to be able to demonstrate things like how a head and arm pin hold, can also be "un-comfortable" (corrected), as the old coaches (not me) would say, which is refined in Judo/BJJ to a new level - to keep the peace and establish respect. If you wrestled you would know what I mean. But that move in that title match made me think of Judo because wrestling coaches would hate the idea of someone getting in so clean so you can use there momentum to roll them through, so you don't really see that often in wrestling. So, from that stand point Judo can be a bit of a waste because wrestling coaches mainly do not teach & will not allow practicing of those techniques. Practice rules are different for elite kids, and maybe at that level they let you do what you want or if you had coaches like Cornell's Rob Koll who put out videos of judo techniques in wrestling. Even though that roll-through was only a part of the move, it is not common in wrestling, but more common in Judo. I will spare you the links. They do bbj/judo in college clubs now, wrestling is not as common as a club, although most kids in those clubs have wrestled - I see that as a plus as well.
__________________
There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

Last edited by Blonjuan44; 03-26-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-26-2018
Catcher in the Eye's Avatar
Catcher in the Eye Catcher in the Eye is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
If somebody is being a jerk to you on the mat as a kid, it is good to be able to demonstrate things like how a head and arm pin hold, can also be brutal legal pain
Did you really just write this?
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-26-2018
Blonjuan44's Avatar
Blonjuan44 Blonjuan44 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcher in the Eye View Post
Did you really just write this?
"brutal legal pain" is probably over-use of my Bard-like writing ability, but regular legal pinning combinations can be quite "uncomfortable". If you wrestled in a wrestling room, you would know there is a difference between good hard competition and when an "mis-guided child" that is either purposely or accidentally physically abusing a kid of less skill or age, and its not like individual instruction & the coach is not always there to save you. My point was that it is helpful to show you can establish mutual respect, like any sport. There are "wayward youths": kids who slam kids, humiliate kids, head butt, choke, knee kids in the head, pull arms past the point of safety etc. Not mine, but such precocious children exist, in fact aggressiveness (lack of) was an issue and that is tough to teach & to the correct degree, and within the rules. When there are 90 wrestlers and 8 coaches you kind of have to be able to take care of yourself to some point. Its hard to describe how respect is established, but it can be when out-classed. I am not saying doing anything illegal, but sometimes wrestling hurts simply due to the nature of the sport - I got my nose broke from a cross-faces - which was not easy & did not appreciate - and there was no penalty, wrestler ears are not cauliflowered from people being nice. Maybe legal pain is not a term appropriate in wrestling anymore (I heard it 200 times in wrestling, along with adios tacos, and other wrestling speak) at that is ok, it was when I was a kid. I apologize if that was interpreted as anything un-sportsman like or illegal - it was meant more along the various types of fouls in basketball, there are degrees. I guess that sometimes you have to show you can be a tough guy too, and it helps to know how to do some moves a little differently. I am the guy who has lobbied this site multiple times to help get the softer closed cell mats to help fight concussions in wrestling, I would not consider myself on the hard core or extreme side of things. Also, I did not coach my own kids in wrestling (coached 3 other rec sports though), they were not a fan of that - in fact that would be a good post topic, and something that books are written about and go very right or very wrong...- and wrestling might be the hardest to coach your own kid in.
__________________
There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

Last edited by Blonjuan44; 03-26-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.