Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Univ of Illinois Roster-- will it be updated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Univ of Illinois Roster-- will it be updated?

I'm pretty sure the semester started one or more weeks ago, so it would be nice if Illinois updated their roster to reflect the 2007-08 team. The roster that is posted is that from the last academic year:

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sport...restl-mtt.html

If some of you out there in Illinoismatmen Land know the coaches or the SID who takes care of wrestling, you might want to let them know that they are tardy--maybe it is something as simple as someone forgot. Some schools updated their roster many weeks ago.

The website for the Illini wrestling team was excellent for quite a few years. Then beginning two years ago it took a sudden down-turn to what I would describe as mediocre. Articles meant to announce up-coming events are now commonly posted at the last second (sometimes after I've left to go watch the event), and articles recapping an event are little more than a regurgitation of the box score (i.e., contain no useful information). I'm guessing that who ever does these knows little about wrestling and may not even attend events. At a school of 30,000+ students (and thousands more staff), can't they get one person to take ownership of this? It just seems that Illinois is doing a poor job of trying to communicate with fans. Being a fan of college wrestling is a choice and college wrestling needs fans in a bad way.

I'm a fan of both Illinois and Missouri. Since the end of last year's season, I've probably received six to ten (mass) emails from Coach Smith at Mizzou. He seems to have a much better grasp on how to let fans know that they are appreciated. Come on Illini powers-that-be, get with it! I really want to be an Illini wrestling fan, but good heavens the program makes it hard to support.

relax, like you said - its only been a week. the journalism staff is still filling up im sure, as well as the athletic department with their student workers. plus they still have to have walk-on tryouts. most schools wont be updated for a while, about 2-5 weeks.

Comment

Most schools haven't updated this-remember that wrestling is not an in-season sport, and the SID contact is probably in charge of another sport, or assisting with football. Being an SID is one of the hardest and most thankless jobs in an athletic department. Cut the guy/gal some slack.
      Chicks Heart Fights

Comment

And Brian Smith has a knack for marketing-he comes up with the concepts for the posters and some merchandise-so it's really not fair to compare. I'm not saying this as a knock against Illinois by any means, it's just that if Brian wasn't coaching wrestling, he'd be a marketing executive.
        Chicks Heart Fights

Comment

Someone let them know they need to add a way to purshase Illinois wrestling aparrel. All you get on the site is football or basketball junk.

Comment

The Illini actually have a couple students reporting for the wrestling team during the season. Yes, they do attend all the events. Do they know the sport of wrestling like some of the hot shots on this site.....probably not. Remember they are students and I really doubt they will be getting a job in the wrestling field. I think their goals are a little higher. No knock on wrestling but it's not that popular with everyone.

As mentioned previously they haven't tested the walkons yet. The roster will be coming up within a month or so. Be patient or is the suspense killiing you.

ZBcoach: their sales at their home wrestling events are going very well. Would they be better if they were on the internet....probably. Then again I think they would like to have more fans in the stands. On that note it's only a 2hr, 2 1/2hr or maybe even 3hrs. Very easy drive to watch an event. They also have wrestling gear at the book stores.

For the Illini I think putting the roster on the web is the least of their worries.
            Stare into my eyes. Do I look dreamie to you?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeChoo View Post
              The Illini actually have a couple students reporting for the wrestling team during the season. Yes, they do attend all the events. Do they know the sport of wrestling like some of the hot shots on this site.....probably not. Remember they are students and I really doubt they will be getting a job in the wrestling field. I think their goals are a little higher. No knock on wrestling but it's not that popular with everyone.

As mentioned previously they haven't tested the walkons yet. The roster will be coming up within a month or so. Be patient or is the suspense killiing you.

ZBcoach: their sales at their home wrestling events are going very well. Would they be better if they were on the internet....probably. Then again I think they would like to have more fans in the stands. On that note it's only a 2hr, 2 1/2hr or maybe even 3hrs. Very easy drive to watch an event. They also have wrestling gear at the book stores.

For the Illini I think putting the roster on the web is the least of their worries.
              Understandable but what about people who wish to support them and don't have the time to make the trip? Mass marketing=internet.

Comment

Originally posted by ZBCOACH View Post
                Understandable but what about people who wish to support them and don't have the time to make the trip? Mass marketing=internet.
                Zee Bee ~ You are correct as I think Bluestates is as well. Smith does a fantastic job with that program and getting it in front of people.

As scary as I am to say this, I think that the Choochie one is a fan of the Chief! You all know that I am as well. That said, I see where the choo choo is coming from by defending the SID. I also see that the U of I could in fact get out there more with clothing gear, etc etc... I have been outspoken before on getting people out to the meets (as the choo choo guy/girl is doing now) I do see that all cannot attend even if it is only 2 -3 hrs away. I have put in a call to the SID and the Marketing Department to find out what can be done as far as getting better gear on line. It is a great question and I will get something done for you and everyone else that is looking for it. They have some cool stuff and it is unfortunate that you cannot get on~line.

I will get back with answers! Don't mind that Choo Chee. I am sure he/she is a pretty good fan... Of what? I am not sure! I am out!

Comment

Originally posted by ZBCOACH View Post
                  Someone let them know they need to add a way to purshase Illinois wrestling aparrel. All you get on the site is football or basketball junk.
                  There is a major problem with obtaining U of I wrestling apparel. The situation as I understand is that the University has a contract with a business in Champaign for selling athletic gear. The problem is that the owner doesn't have a lot of interest in producing wrestling merchandise.

This situation was expressed to me a year or two ago when I was talking to one of the coaches and told him that I recognized a limited selection of wrestling merchandise. I can't remember which business downtown that was the culprit but if this is still the situation, than as supporters, we need to visit this location and loudly voice our concern.

This was the situation as I remember.

Lauden
                  "It's not the six minutes, it's what happens in those six minutes"

Comment

Originally posted by lauden swain View Post
                    There is a major problem with obtaining U of I wrestling apparel. The situation as I understand is that the University has a contract with a business in Champaign for selling athletic gear. The problem is that the owner doesn't have a lot of interest in producing wrestling merchandise.

This situation was expressed to me a year or two ago when I was talking to one of the coaches and told him that I recognized a limited selection of wrestling merchandise. I can't remember which business downtown that was the culprit but if this is still the situation, than as supporters, we need to visit this location and loudly voice our concern.

This was the situation as I remember.

Lauden
                    I think the business you are talking about is called Gameday Sports down in Champaign. From the couple times I have been there, they had a few wrestling t-shirts and hoodies, but not much else. They do have some good apparel at the meets.

I think the team does a great job with fan interaction at the meets. They usually have things like autograph sessions before or after a few of the meets. I think they even had a mini-clinic before one of the early meets where kids were able to come and wrestle around on the mats. The wrestlers also throw out t-shirts to the crowd in between matches.

The programs they have at the meets are very good as well.

As for the website, I know it is early in the school year, but i'm pretty sure the team had updated the roster by this time last year. They could also do a better job with the photo albums and match previews/recaps. If anyone really wants to see a change, I would say that the best idea would be to email the coaches themselves. Look on the website, or the schools website for a directory and you'll be able to find an email address for Johnson, Heff, even the AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Illiniwek View Post
                      I think the business you are talking about is called Gameday Sports down in Champaign. From the couple times I have been there, they had a few wrestling t-shirts and hoodies, but not much else. They do have some good apparel at the meets.

I think the team does a great job with fan interaction at the meets. They usually have things like autograph sessions before or after a few of the meets. I think they even had a mini-clinic before one of the early meets where kids were able to come and wrestle around on the mats. The wrestlers also throw out t-shirts to the crowd in between matches.

The programs they have at the meets are very good as well.

As for the website, I know it is early in the school year, but i'm pretty sure the team had updated the roster by this time last year. They could also do a better job with the photo albums and match previews/recaps. If anyone really wants to see a change, I would say that the best idea would be to email the coaches themselves. Look on the website, or the schools website for a directory and you'll be able to find an email address for Johnson, Heff, even the AD.
                      I think the coaches have enough on their plate. Lets let the coaches coach. Just go straight to the source. Illini marketing dept. Coaches shouldn't have to deal with the small stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeChoo View Post
                        I think the coaches have enough on their plate. Lets let the coaches coach. Just go straight to the source. Illini marketing dept. Coaches shouldn't have to deal with the small stuff.
                        I wouldn't necessarily call it the "small stuff". A website can be a great tool for a wrestling program to exhibit what their program has to offer.

Don't you think that a lot of potential college wrestlers look at many teams' websites to gather more information about the team, the coaches, and the school?

Don't you think that coaches want to utilize every resource possible, even "small stuff" like their team's website, to gain an edge in recruiting?

I would answer yes to both questions. If people think that the website is subpar compared to other schools, then I think that the coaches would be interested in knowing that. That doesn't mean that they are the ones who need to change it. The people who handle the website do. In fact, there is only one person in charge of the wrestling site, so the coaches can speak directly to that person about it.

Comment

Web sites have become huge in recruting. Many schools provide spots to send in your info and videos as coaches obviously cannot go out and see every wrestler coast to coast. Many kids determine if they have a chance to walk on or not depending on rosters and how deep they are. But you got to have some marketing and get merchandise out and let people show their support for your team. Theres got to be Illini grads that live out of state who might possibly want to wear an Illini Wrestling shirt, are you going to tell them they have to show up at a meet? It's a win win for the program for the work that would keep up with the site. I'm sure Illinois has an IT department or some kid who needs a work study.

Comment

I guess I'm just old school. I didn't make my college choice based on the schools website. I actually went for their education and a chance to win a national title. Let that be a lesson to you youngsters out there. Education first, then athletics and fiinally the website.

As for grads that would like Illini clothing, trust me they have connections and don't need a website.

Comment

No one said base your choice on the schools web site but its used as a resource to determine your chances of being a contributing part of the team. All athletes looks first at what each athletic team looks like then if the school has a major in your intrest field. If your going to be 6th on the depth chart why go there if you have the chance to be 1-3 on someone else's team. All serious athletes want to contribute, not ride pine.

Comment

Working...
                              X