World Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Championships

Well, so far today the USA isn't having a great day.

Henry Cejudo lost his first match to Dadashi 1-0, 0-4 and Dadashi lost his next match so Cejudo is out.

Mike Zadick (Silver medal last year) lost his first match to Prizreni 1-1, 0-1. Prizreni made it to the semi's but not the finals, so Zadick is out.

Now the best for last... Dremiel Byers made it to the semi's where he lost to Baroev 1-1, 0-4. He will be wrestling for the Bronze soon.

Also the USA Greco has clinched the best finish ever at the Worlds. If Byers wins his Bronze medal match the USA will win the team title.
    "When I step on the mat I try to score points & entertain the fans". Offensive points scored 2205.. Offensive points against 32.. Never put on his back.. 97 pins.. 24 TF.. 26 MD.. 16 Dec.. 17 FFT.. 2 ID.. 90% of wins by bonus points.. 93% of wins at State by bonus points.. final 115 matches offensively outscored opponents 1472-2.. never taken down in any state series match in IKWF or IHSA.. some say that's not dominating.. some say not a good mat wrestler.. I disagree.

Very balanced field this year, huh? We could take second in the team race with two medalists? Let's hope Dremiel can pull out a medal. Colorado Springs will be rocking with a team champoinship! Even without Joe Warren.
    Looks like the greco-heads are going to outperform the leg grabbers for the second consecutive year. I agree with Jag. It is not a coincedence with the training center up in the UP. Good job greco!

Lauden
    "It's not the six minutes, it's what happens in those six minutes"

Comment

It is now official. The United States has won the World Greco Roman team title!

http://www.themat.com/index.php?page...rticleID=17180

Lauden

Comment

Well, so far today the USA isn't having a great day.
        This is a GREAT day for USA Wrestling. Highest finish for any USA greco team. FIRST world team Championship! Good for Byers, I think this was the most focused he's been since he won worlds back in 2002.

On another note, I am shocked that the Russian Federation let Lopez win that match. You would think with the team championship on the line, they would put enough money on the table to buy off Lopez.

Comment

Originally posted by freight-train View Post
          This is a GREAT day for USA Wrestling. Highest finish for any USA greco team. FIRST world team Championship! Good for Byers, I think this was the most focused he's been since he won worlds back in 2002.

On another note, I am shocked that the Russian Federation let Lopez win that match. You would think with the team championship on the line, they would put enough money on the table to buy off Lopez.
          It really pisses me off when people don't read the whole post or take it out of context. You are right... I meant to say that USA FS is not having a great day. But if you read the rest of my post I did say "now the best for last" and that Byers was doing well and the Greco team had it's best finish ever. I guess you missed that part or chose to ignore it.

Also based on TODAY'S results USA did not have a great day. I didn't say the USA had a bad World Championships... I said SO FAR TODAY... based solely on todays results and matches.

Cejudo was expected to do pretty well and he lost his first match and then a returning World Silver medalist loses his first match.... that isn't a great day.

Yes the Greco Team had a GREAT World Championship tournament.
          Last edited by BARR; 09-19-2007, 09:35 AM.
          "When I step on the mat I try to score points & entertain the fans". Offensive points scored 2205.. Offensive points against 32.. Never put on his back.. 97 pins.. 24 TF.. 26 MD.. 16 Dec.. 17 FFT.. 2 ID.. 90% of wins by bonus points.. 93% of wins at State by bonus points.. final 115 matches offensively outscored opponents 1472-2.. never taken down in any state series match in IKWF or IHSA.. some say that's not dominating.. some say not a good mat wrestler.. I disagree.

Comment

I didnt miss it... I just thought it was crazy to say that USA wrestling isnt having a great day. In my opinion, the losses of Cejudo and Zadick, pale in comparison to the excitement of a Greco Team Championship.

It really pisses me off when people don't read the whole post or take it out of context.
            I didnt misread the post or take it out context. If you had meant to put Freestyle in your original sentence, its just a misunderstanding and I would agree with your statement. You didnt and that was why i made my comment.

Comment

I didnt miss it... I just thought it was crazy to say that USA wrestling isnt having a great day. In my opinion, the losses of Cejudo and Zadick, pale in comparison to the excitement of a Greco Team Championship.

I didnt misread the post or take it out context. If you had meant to put Freestyle in your original sentence, its just a misunderstanding and I would agree with your statement. You didnt and that was why i made my comment.
              My original post was before the Greco Team had won the title and like I have explained.... based solely on today's results and matches it wasn't a great day. Again the Greco Team had a GREAT tournament. Today was the culmination of the 3 days. You say it is a great day for Greco and USA, I say it is a great tourney for Greco and USA... whatever. Schematics... I will have to do a better job of explaining what I meant and actually type what I meant. My bad...

Now back to the topic... We agree that Greco did Great and hopefully FS will pick it up over the next couple of days. Congrats to the Greco Team that is AWESOME.
              Last edited by BARR; 09-19-2007, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Haha, ill agree to a truce, as long as we're all happy....Maybe after FS's first day performance, I'm guilty of getting ready for all those people who are gonna claim this is the USA's "worst world championships ever." When obviously there is another style they are totally forgetting about.

Comment

Haha, ill agree to a truce, as long as we're all happy....Maybe after FS's first day performance, I'm guilty of getting ready for all those people who are gonna claim this is the USA's "worst world championships ever." When obviously there is another style they are totally forgetting about.
                  Well thank goodness the Greco guys had such a great tourney because the "leg grabbers" have got their work cut out for them. Especially with Cejudo and Zadick going 1 and done.

Comment

It has been an awesome year for Greco (which is actually my favorite style). With some of the Illinois talent we have, hopefully we will be seeing some very familiar names (along with Joey Betterman) at the international level in the future.
                    sigpic
                    Coe College Kohawks

Comment

Originally posted by lauden swain View Post
                      It is now official. The United States has won the World Greco Roman team title!

http://www.themat.com/index.php?page...rticleID=17180

Lauden
                      This is awesome...
                      Eat, sleep and wrestling.

Comment

I am just hoping Joe Williams, along with Heskett and Schwab, can get things rolling tomorrow right to a medal, preferably the gold obviously. By looking at Joe's bracket, it looks like a decently tough draw for him, but he is completely ready for it...
                        The Only thing you deserve is what you earn, so why not just earn it all???

Comment

Schwab Seems to Have a Nice Draw!

Aside from the Cuban, he appears to have a nice draw that should, at a minimum, get him into the top 8 (which will qualify the weight for Beijing).

Comment

Schwab, Heskett and Williams are still alive for a bronze. Matches up soon.

Lauden
                            Last edited by MR TWISTER; 09-20-2007, 12:08 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Today has been a good day for the USA FS Team. All three guys that are competing today are wrestling for the Bronze medal.

Doug Schwab, Joe Heskett, and Joe Williams.

Schwab made it quarters before losing to Garzon from Cuba, then he won his first wrestleback match and is going for the Bronze.

Heskett made it to the semi's before losing to Murtazaliev from Russia, so he is going for the Bronze.

Williams made it to the quarters before losing to Ketoev from Russia, then he won his first wrestleback match and is going for the Bronze.

3 Bronze medals on the day would be a very good day.

Comment

Working...
                              X