U of I Lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U of I Lineup

What will University of Illinois projected lineup be this year?
    I don't know if they had wrestle-offs already, but it looks to me like Deneen and Bullard will be sitting again this year because of flores and kennedy

There are a lot of schools where Bullard could be starting at.

Comment

Originally posted by UofIwrestlingfan View Post
      What will University of Illinois projected lineup be this year?
      I don't know if they had wrestle-offs already, but it looks to me like Deneen and Bullard will be sitting again this year because of flores and kennedy
      I'm trying to figure out if the two guys you mentioned are entitled to a starting spot in your opinion. Or if these are two guys you know and follow. You could just as well have mentioned 20 other guys who will not start.

The starting line-up was discussed quite some time ago on here-- I'm not sure if that thread is still available. The new D1 college site has projected line-ups for all approx 90 D1 programs. At www.bigeleven.net Gregg Henry has a superb weight-by-weight discussion for all Big Ten teams.

I think the only real question marks right now are 149, Zeman or Kotowski, and 184, Gleissner or Brownson. Zeman, Gleissner, Brownson did not have great showings at Missouri Open; Kotowski did not wrestle. At 141, freshman Prater might be giving Troy a run for his money as he gains experience--but Coach Johnson wisely (IMHO) redshirts true freshmen, unless he deems it totally necessary to have them start. My guess (total guess), is that Prater will redshirt and Troy will move back up to 149 for next year (unless he does something spectacular, such as get to Round-of-Twelve, at 141 this year). But I digress.
      Last edited by Conquistadors; 11-19-2007, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Bullard and Deneen are two guys who may never be regular starters for the Illini. They are guys who provide depth and competition in the room, but may never threaten for a starting spot. Right now, it looks like Deneen would be the heir apparent to the 125 spot next year after Flores graduates. However, I would be very surprised if Johnson and his staff doesn't work hard to add some substantial depth and talent to this weight class before next year. So far, Deneen has not shown in the competitions that he has been in that he is capable of being a solid D1 wrestler. Look no further than how he performed this weekend in a subpar 125 bracket at the Missouri open. He will certainly continue to improve. But, as of right now, the Illini cannot be hanging their hat on him to be their future 125 pound starter.

Bullard, on the other hand will remain buried in the lineup behind Kennedy for the next three years. If he decides to move up to 141, he would still be behind Tirapelle for the next two. And, Prater looks like a stud that they will need to find a spot for before too long. Surely, anything can happen. I just don't see things falling into place for a kid like Bullard to be able to be a regular starter.

It seems like more people are beginning to be interested in the college game, and that's great. It takes a while to realize how different this is than HS. There are 37 guys on the roster at U of I. Only 10 of them can be regular starters. At least 2 out of 4 guys ever year are practice room fodder. Sprinkle in a few blue chip recruits who are redshirting before becoming future starters and there's your roster. The majority of guys in a college room, as important as they are to developing a solid program, just won't see much time beyond open tournaments and occasional fill-in dutie for injured starters.

Comment

My guess for the starting lineup after January 1 (provided none of these are dinged up at that point)

125 Flores
          133 Kennedy
          141 Tirapelle
          149 Kotowski
          157 Poeta
          165 Smith-Bergsrud
          174 Dergo
          184 Gleissner
          197 Bond
          285 Wise

Id expect for Vegas and Midlands they might be wrestling both Zeman and Kotowski at 149 and Friedl at 174/184 for further accessing the 149 & 184 spots.

Comment

Originally posted by ionel View Post
            My guess for the starting lineup after January 1 (provided none of these are dinged up at that point)

125 Flores
            133 Kennedy
            141 Tirapelle
            149 Kotowski
            157 Poeta
            165 Smith-Bergsrud
            174 Dergo
            184 Gleissner
            197 Bond
            285 Wise

Id expect for Vegas and Midlands they might be wrestling both Zeman and Kotowski at 149 and Friedl at 174/184 for further accessing the 149 & 184 spots.
            I think your right on......

Comment

Just curious, but did Flores and Kotowski not compete at Missouri Open because of being nicked up? Someone had posted that Troy was banged up at Loras Open (?) the previous week.

With Gabe, will the coaches keep his early-season activitiy to a minimum this year so as to lessen the chances of something going wrong with his knee? Just curious. I would love to see what for Gabe could do if he could remain healthy for Big Tens and NCAAs. (I'm sure that Gabe and the Illinois coaches would like to see that too.) Best of luck to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Conquistadors View Post
                Just curious, but did Flores and Kotowski not compete at Missouri Open because of being nicked up? Someone had posted that Troy was banged up at Loras Open (?) the previous week.

With Gabe, will the coaches keep his early-season activitiy to a minimum this year so as to lessen the chances of something going wrong with his knee? Just curious. I would love to see what for Gabe could do if he could remain healthy for Big Tens and NCAAs. (I'm sure that Gabe and the Illinois coaches would like to see that too.) Best of luck to him.
                I was also surprised that Joey & Gabe weren't on the brackets when they first came out. Not sure on Kotowski, but did see Flores last week and he looked fine, but there are a number of reasons, minor tweaks etc. why someone might be held out of one of these early season opens. Troy wrestled the weekend before at Loras and I believe there were just resting him after coming off a bit sore from Loras.

Everything I've seen on Gabe is that his knees are 100%. It was actually two years ago at the MO Open that another wrestler tried to take out both his knees. We were mat side, and it was the most disgusting thing Ive every seen in wrestling. He came back after Jan 1 that year, but clearly wasnt 100%. Last year he was much better and wrestling back down a 125. With time off since last March he now looks to be 100% in that area. Id expect all of these guys will be wrestling Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
                  Bullard and Deneen are two guys who may never be regular starters for the Illini. They are guys who provide depth and competition in the room, but may never threaten for a starting spot. Right now, it looks like Deneen would be the heir apparent to the 125 spot next year after Flores graduates. However, I would be very surprised if Johnson and his staff doesn't work hard to add some substantial depth and talent to this weight class before next year. So far, Deneen has not shown in the competitions that he has been in that he is capable of being a solid D1 wrestler. Look no further than how he performed this weekend in a subpar 125 bracket at the Missouri open. He will certainly continue to improve. But, as of right now, the Illini cannot be hanging their hat on him to be their future 125 pound starter.

Bullard, on the other hand will remain buried in the lineup behind Kennedy for the next three years. If he decides to move up to 141, he would still be behind Tirapelle for the next two. And, Prater looks like a stud that they will need to find a spot for before too long. Surely, anything can happen. I just don't see things falling into place for a kid like Bullard to be able to be a regular starter.

It seems like more people are beginning to be interested in the college game, and that's great. It takes a while to realize how different this is than HS. There are 37 guys on the roster at U of I. Only 10 of them can be regular starters. At least 2 out of 4 guys ever year are practice room fodder. Sprinkle in a few blue chip recruits who are redshirting before becoming future starters and there's your roster. The majority of guys in a college room, as important as they are to developing a solid program, just won't see much time beyond open tournaments and occasional fill-in dutie for injured starters.
                  Well written and thought out. Especially the last paragraph. And yes I know of a couple of h.s. (future college 125's) that the Illini are interested in that would start as true freshman.

Comment

will it be easy for tripelli to make 141 from what i heard it was a pretty big cut
                    will he be burned out buy the end of the season if so will prater be the first option
                    ________
                    vaporizers
                    ________
                    Chevrolet Cobalt specifications
                    Last edited by forsure; 02-03-2011, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by forsure View Post
                      will it be easy for tripelli to make 141 from what i heard it was a pretty big cut
                      will he be burned out buy the end of the season if so will prater be the first option
                      Good question. I also have a question: Will wrestling fans be the death of the English language?

I have another one: Is he called "tripelle" because he is the third brother to attend Illinois?

Comment

Originally posted by forsure View Post
                        Fair question. There's a difference between a 'cut' and 'weight management'. Cutting implies sucking yourself dry to make weight each week. And yes, this kicks your a$$ and will render you lifeless by mid to end season. Weight management is a combination of a strict diet, exercise program, and a pattern of maintaining discipline throughout the season. In this way, you can lose a lot more weight (albeit slowly) and maintain performance over an extended period of time. I'm pretty sure TT has been at this since last March, not on a whim.

It's always hard to go DOWN a weight class in college, but it's that or remain a "tweener" (definition: on the small side for one weight and really big for the weight below). Plus, with probably the greatest depth of talent I've ever seen at a college weight class (149), it makes it that much more difficult to compete.

For the Illini's sake and personal sake, I hope he handles it well and has a great year at 141. It'll take a lot of discipline. Freshman Ryan Prater has done very well. He looks like a big bright spot for the Illini in the future.

We'll see how Las Vegas goes for all of them in two weeks. Looking forward to it!

Comment

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by forsure

Originally posted by tirapell View Post
                          Fair question. There's a difference between a 'cut' and 'weight management'. Cutting implies sucking yourself dry to make weight each week. And yes, this kicks your a$$ and will render you lifeless by mid to end season. Weight management is a combination of a strict diet, exercise program, and a pattern of maintaining discipline throughout the season. In this way, you can lose a lot more weight (albeit slowly) and maintain performance over an extended period of time. I'm pretty sure TT has been at this since last March, not on a whim.

It's always hard to go DOWN a weight class in college, but it's that or remain a "tweener" (definition: on the small side for one weight and really big for the weight below). Plus, with probably the greatest depth of talent I've ever seen at a college weight class (149), it makes it that much more difficult to compete.

For the Illini's sake and personal sake, I hope he handles it well and has a great year at 141. It'll take a lot of discipline. Freshman Ryan Prater has done very well. He looks like a big bright spot for the Illini in the future.

We'll see how Las Vegas goes for all of them in two weeks. Looking forward to it!
                          First Troy has already made 141 and did quite well at the Loras Open. Before reading this last post I was going to suggest similar interpretation regarding the cut vs. manage issue. Moreover, at the end of last season I fully expected that Troy would start working toward this goal starting in March. There are ways to manage weight by bulking up or trimming down, but this doesnt just happen by eating more or less. I saw Troy in the summer and early fall, and he looked like someone who is going 141 instead of 149. I havent had time to read through the full why the fall off thread, but part of the difference for some in making it at the next level, is the dedication to do the extra off-season training. Weve all seen names through around on the forum wondering why certain wrestlers never broke into a DI lineup. Some of those Ive seen who fall in that category have come back in the fall 30 to 40 pounds over their expected wrestling weight and then have to spend all fall just losing weight. Those with the dedication to do the extra running, weight lifting, etc. late spring and summer to improve overall shape, manage weight or bulk up have advantage in that when wrestling practice starts they can begin working on technique and achieving peak wrestler shape instead of worrying about weight. That said though, the dedication factor, given equal talent, is probably the biggest factor.

Also, Prater is doing very well and Im sure he has a future in the lineup, but there is still a lot to learn and a lot of valuable experience to be gained his freshman year.

BTW: Are tripelli, Tirapelle, and tirapell related?

Comment

125 Flores
                            133 Kennedy
                            141 Tirapelle
                            149 Kotowski
                            157 Poeta
                            165 Smith-Bergsrud
                            174 Dergo
                            184 Gleissner
                            197 Bond
                            285 Wise

also, check the MO Open F/S brackets and add Paswall as a possibility in the mix at 149.

Comment

also, check the MO Open F/S brackets and add Paswall as a possibility in the mix at 149.
                              Paswell...... Yes,,, a BIG add....He will certainly have a chance to start as a true frosh.. More so than people think...He is pretty tough and is actually ready.. 149 is a BIG hole right now and this kid could fill that..

Comment

Working...
                              X