Congratulations to IRTC and ILLINI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to IRTC and ILLINI!

After the first day of Senior and Junior Nationals, the IRTC and current ILLINI wrestlers had some great results. Luke Luffman won a Greco Junior National title at 130kg. He will head to Russia to try to win a world championship. We Rachal won a bronze medal in the Senior Nationals division, and he's automatically qualified for World Team Trials. Max Nowry laid waste to all of the opposition at his favorite weight. Dane Durlacher and Tim Young finished seventh.

On another note, Danny Pucino is in Italy right now trying to win a spot on the Italian Junior National freestyle team. Lucas Byrd is over there as a training partner.

Finally, I saw an article about Joe Rau getting hosed at the recent Olympic Team Trials. The article is a trip, written by a true American wordsmith. My interest was piqued and so I found two short videos of the mangled refereeing. If you have twitter, here is one of the sequences. Here's the other sequence. The video shows Rau using a front headlock to throw his finals opponent twice, but the second one was misjudged to be illegal. Joe should've won that first match of the best of three by the score of 8-0.

Medlin, Bader, Ryan Warner and podcasters everywhere have dug into the story. Looks like there'll be an arbitration and then, if necessary, a court case. I would line up a whole slew of qualified and accredited Greco refs to testify (by affidavit or in person) that that hold was legal, as Rau's arms were locked under his opponent's armpit. Additionally, they can testify that the ref was wrong to award +2 in the second video sequence and force Joe down. Rau had already started moving by the time the ref blew his whistle. This was quackmuggery of olympic proportions.

The IRTC might have an Olympian yet.

GO IRTC AND ITALIA!

I saw that chief I read the comments and people were saying that they thought that the ref thought other guy was unconscious. I saw it exactly the way you described it. How does it work? Is there an appeal process? Could Joe still make the Olympics? I know absolutely nothing about these qualifiers
    Always support your local wrestling tournament concession stands!!!

Comment

From what I gather, old pioneer, there's an arbitration before a panel. They will decide what happens. If Joe doesn't like the panel's decision, though, he can then take it to court.

Comment

Just awful news about IRTC (Emeritus) member Isaiah Martinez. He had to forfeit because of injury. IMAR still has time to get it fixed and worked into shape. Hope he's successful.

What about a Winter Soldier arm? He's already at least 29% bionic.

GO IMAR!!!

Comment

Congratulations to Danny Pucino for winning the Italian Junior Nationals! He will represent Italy in the Junior World Championships. Pucino teched his semifinal opponent and then won again by tech in the finals. That makes two current ILLINI who'll be wrestling in Junior World Tournaments. Luke Luffman will be in the Greco portion of the event. Matt Wroblewski has represented Poland in the past, but I haven't heard whether he'll be doing that again.

Also, it was great to see Pucino rocking the ILLINI gear on the medal stand.

Comment

Finally, Dane Durlacher finished 5th at the Senior Nationals at 57kg. That gets him an automatic bid to the World Team Trials. Isaiah Pettigrew finished 5th at the Junior Nationals at 92kg. Could we see these guys in the ILLINI lineup down the road?

GO ILLINI!!!

Comment

I just watched IMAR's match with Skatzka. It was bewildering. During the entire first period, IMAR didn't look like IMAR. He was down 9-0 until he hit an inside trip in the second period, taking Skatzka to his back for the pin.

After this win in the semifinals, IMAR forfeited the championship match. My questions: Was IMAR not looking like IMAR because of ring rust? Residual effects from the injury/surgery? Did he forfeit as a precautionary measure because he'd already made the World Team Trials? Does IMAR feel pain like humans do?

Additionally, there was a Skatzka takedown in the first period that went out of the camera's view. The announcers reported that IMAR gave his bench a thumb's up. Was the thumb's up because he was saying, "I got this," or was he saying, "I'm not as badly injured as it might appear"? Here's the video:

Finally, about those Flo camera operators: We would get better video that tracked the match across the mat and out of bounds if we strapped a Go Pro to a cat's head. Sure, we might get some disgusting footage of licking and stretching, but overall, I think it would be an improvement.

GO IMAR!!!

Comment

Boy he looked slow to start what a comeback though, ironic on the inside trip no?

Comment

Huff, you raise two important points. Yes, IMAR started out slow which is so unlike IMAR. On the other hand, Skatzka was a HUGE fellow at 174 in college. This match came after he was fully rehydrated, so he must've been a load.

Still, though, I don't get IMAR's start.

Secondly, what absolute toad-brained things were racing around Skatzka's noggin in the second period? He was up 9-0. Everybody else in the world expected IMAR to try an inside trip. Then, if that failed IMAR would go for an inside trip. After that, he might try double underhooks, but only to set up a third inside trip attempt.

His corner should be fired then executed. Then fired again. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
                    After the first day of Senior and Junior Nationals, the IRTC and current ILLINI wrestlers had some great results. Luke Luffman won a Greco Junior National title at 130kg. He will head to Russia to try to win a world championship. We Rachal won a bronze medal in the Senior Nationals division, and he's automatically qualified for World Team Trials. Max Nowry laid waste to all of the opposition at his favorite weight. Dane Durlacher and Tim Young finished seventh.

On another note, Danny Pucino is in Italy right now trying to win a spot on the Italian Junior National freestyle team. Lucas Byrd is over there as a training partner.

Finally, I saw an article about Joe Rau getting hosed at the recent Olympic Team Trials. The article is a trip, written by a true American wordsmith. My interest was piqued and so I found two short videos of the mangled refereeing. If you have twitter, here is one of the sequences. Here's the other sequence. The video shows Rau using a front headlock to throw his finals opponent twice, but the second one was misjudged to be illegal. Joe should've won that first match of the best of three by the score of 8-0.

Medlin, Bader, Ryan Warner and podcasters everywhere have dug into the story. Looks like there'll be an arbitration and then, if necessary, a court case. I would line up a whole slew of qualified and accredited Greco refs to testify (by affidavit or in person) that that hold was legal, as Rau's arms were locked under his opponent's armpit. Additionally, they can testify that the ref was wrong to award +2 in the second video sequence and force Joe down. Rau had already started moving by the time the ref blew his whistle. This was quackmuggery of olympic proportions.

The IRTC might have an Olympian yet.

GO IRTC AND ITALIA!
                    Why didn’t they throw the brick if they wanted to dispute the call?

Comment

I don't know. I don't even know whether they did throw a brick, or whether a coach can throw a brick under those circumstances when it is the subjective opinion of a ref. See, e.g., Holding in the NFL.

I don't know how many bricks the coaches had already thrown, if any. I don't know how many bricks are allotted per match or per tournament. I don't even know how bricks are allotted by USA Wrestling for best of three championship matches. I'd like to see the whole match on video.

I think that yours is a relevant question. Cheers!

Comment

But I also see in the 2nd video sequence he definitely starts the move after the whistle had been blown

Comment

I heard an interview with Medlin. They felt that the ref was set against them and biased and throwing the brick would be a waste and cost him a point. He was more concerned with keeping Rau's head in the match and not letting the officiating get him down.

Comment

That's basically what I thought happened. But there are many strategic reasons to throw or not throw a brick, including momentum, whether your wrestler is in shape, whether the opponent is in shape, camera angle, giving up a point, pissing off the ref, saving the brick for later, etc.

I still have no idea how many reviews were allotted in the best of three matches.

This will be a question that Team Rau will need to be ready to answer. I don't think it's dispositive, but a good answer here will go a long way. I think the ref showed his uh stripes during his second interaction with Rau. That was a window into his intentions.

I've had people who were prejudiced against me, and people who were prejudiced for the other guy, judging me. It is not fun! You ALWAYS fight on, but, man, you sure can feel helpless. Cheers!

Comment

I'm pretty sure there isn't a limit to bricks, but if the call isn't overturned, you give up a point each time.

Comment

Working...
                              X