Just want to throw out a positive thread for those eliminated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just want to throw out a positive thread for those eliminated

I want to start a positive thread for really good wrestlers who just got caught ( yes caught) in a bad bracket or had a bad match to end their senior careers.
    I will start it with three pretty good wrestlers...... I could name more......I will add if needed.
    I will start with Dan Duefel of Plainfield. I think this kid had a great season and career. He might be the best 4th place wrestler in state at his weight class. The best on a given day. Who knows for sure. Didn't get a chance to wrestle back.
    The 2nd is Julian Brooks of Romeoville. He had a great career for Romeoville with many tourney championships. Just got hurt at a bad time.
    The third is Tony Tonelli of Lockport. Bump a weight class at the end of the year. This wrestler din't wrestle in 6,7 or 8th grade and still had a stellar career.
    Good luck to you three.

Originally posted by archman View Post
    I want to start a positive thread for really good wrestlers who just got caught ( yes caught) in a bad bracket or had a bad match to end their senior careers.
    I will start it with three pretty good wrestlers...... I could name more......I will add if needed.
    I will start with Dan Duefel of Plainfield. I think this kid had a great season and career. He might be the best 4th place wrestler in state at his weight class. The best on a given day. Who knows for sure. Didn't get a chance to wrestle back.
    The 2nd is Julian Brooks of Romeoville. He had a great career for Romeoville with many tourney championships. Just got hurt at a bad time.
    The third is Tony Tonelli of Lockport. Bump a weight class at the end of the year. This wrestler din't wrestle in 6,7 or 8th grade and still had a stellar career.
    Good luck to you three.
    I agree with all 3 of your choices.
    Deufel wrestled very well against Dwyer last night. He definitely should be state qualifier.
    Brooks suffered a bad injury that ended his career today, he definitely should have been a SQ.
    Tonelli has done very well thsi year and took Uccardi to overtime.
    Speaking of guys who should have been a SQ, Uccardi can be added to your list

Comment

Matt Monson 215 for OPRF...a 4-year wrestler who had a great individual season but had a bad night at the worst time. He beat the sectional champ at regionals and also beat another sectional champ in a dual meet. Fortunately he will be able to help OPRF in the team sectional.
      sigpic

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

Comment

you are right on about monson.

i don't know the kid, but i've seen him wrestle and he's in the
        top five @ 215

another example: albanese (heavyweight) gets upset by a kid
        (at leyden) who then has to face brassel.
        he loses to brassel, then albanese is out.

my question, since i'm "newtwowrestling", is this:
        how is this "best for the sport" whereby two of the the top
        upperclassmen are not in the state finals. now, i know they lost-once,
        but, by the unfortunate luck of the draw, they don't get to wrestleback???

Comment

Albanese is a great wrestler

Originally posted by newtwowrestling View Post
          you are right on about monson.

i don't know the kid, but i've seen him wrestle and he's in the
          top five @ 215

another example: albanese (heavyweight) gets upset by a kid
          (at leyden) who then has to face brassel.
          he loses to brassel, then albanese is out.

my question, since i'm "newtwowrestling", is this:
          how is this "best for the sport" whereby two of the the top
          upperclassmen are not in the state finals. now, i know they lost-once,
          but, by the unfortunate luck of the draw, they don't get to wrestleback???
          It is the bad thing with the follow the leader format, which should go to double elimination IMO

Comment

Britt McMahon is another senior who didn't make it downstate, after winning the Dvorak over a top ranked national wrestler. This time of year is definitely bittersweet. Some kids have a bad day, aren't 100%, whatever. It doesn't define their career, but it sure will sting for a long time faling short of their goals and expectations. Wrestling hard, training hard, giving all you have is a reward in itself, and getting through a grueling high school wrestling career carries with it some satisfaction for running a good race. That is a perspective that will hopefully sink in as time goes by. No one is worse for having wrestled. If you can sort out the chaff, what you are left with is a fantastic preparation for success in life.
            "Boys freestyle. Real men Greco."

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
              Britt McMahon is another senior who didn't make it downstate, after winning the Dvorak over a top ranked national wrestler. This time of year is definitely bittersweet. Some kids have a bad day, aren't 100%, whatever. It doesn't define their career, but it sure will sting for a long time faling short of their goals and expectations. Wrestling hard, training hard, giving all you have is a reward in itself, and getting through a grueling high school wrestling career carries with it some satisfaction for running a good race. That is a perspective that will hopefully sink in as time goes by. No one is worse for having wrestled. If you can sort out the chaff, what you are left with is a fantastic preparation for success in life.
              I couldn't have said it better. It's a very bitter pill to swallow but it is definitely something you can grow from. Luckily for McMahon and Monson, they will still get to wrestle in the team sectionals.
              sigpic

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

Comment

Two more... Evan Vandiver from Harlem. He was a four year starter for Harlem and got injured at Dvorak after placing 8th. He came back right before regionals and qualified for sectionals, but ended up in the same side of the bracket as Oster and Surber. The second one is Austen Walliulah (Hononegah). He had an outstanding senior year with tourney championships at Sycamore, Regionals, and NIC-10 conference with a fourth place finish at Dvorak. There were high expectations for a run while at Champaign, but unfortunately ended up losing a tough one in OT.

Comment

I would like to recognize the career of Tyler Becker in this thread. I have had the extreme pleasure of watching Tyler wrestle for a long, long time and would have to say he is a great wrestler and has been a quality and respectful opponent against my son sooooo many times. Congratulations Tyler on an outstanding career and good luck at team state!
                  If you fail to look to the sky, you'll miss the impending attack!

Comment

Tyler Becker

Let me also shout out for Tyler Becker. He and my son have fought so many times he is like family. Everytime it has gone to the end before being decided, taking the wins and the losses with respect and dignity. There are a number of wrestlers who made it to State last year or are going this year that know in their heart that the better opponent, the better wrestler, is not getting the honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Squid View Post
                      Let me also shout out for Tyler Becker. He and my son have fought so many times he is like family. Everytime it has gone to the end before being decided, taking the wins and the losses with respect and dignity. There are a number of wrestlers who made it to State last year or are going this year that know in their heart that the better opponent, the better wrestler, is not getting the honor.
                      Lets keep it positive, and not diminish or slight the wrestlers who went out, wrestled their butts off, and earned their spot at state. Great job to those who are going to Champaign, and to those who are not, hold your heads high, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Comment

I'd like to send a shout out to Joey Michals of Providence. He has had a great senior year, nearly beat Kendall at conference, won regionals and just missed qualifying yesterday. He still has team duals so good luck to him.

Comment

Dont give up, you still have college

Speaking to all of the seniors who did not accomplish everything they wanted this season. You should look towards division 3 wrestling. It is competitive and even multiple time state placers find it hard to crack some lineups, but I got fourth in my sectional never made it down state and I have been the starter on one of the best d3 schools in the nation for the past three seasons. I won conference twice, came closer to qualifying for nationals then I ever did state. and changed my dreams from state champ to national champ. I have even beat kids who placed way above me in state, even some state champs. So don't give up.

Comment

My prior post

Let me assure, with my prior post, there was no intent to offend or disparage anyone. Everyone that has competed and battled throughout the year has my upmost respect.

Comment

Hey Hammerstaffen,

Where do you wrestle?

Comment

Working...
                              X