No announcement yet.

Question about rigging a digital scale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about rigging a digital scale.

Ive been trying to gather info on this and I figured what better source than a wrestling site. My question is this, is it possible to rig or calibrate a digital scale to reflect a heavier weight than the actual weight and how difficult is this to do? Believe me I am not naive, I know that cheating goes on in all sports I would just like to know how easy this is to do. Also if you were weighing in say 30 kids and you wanted to make sure 2 or 3 were overweight is it possible to pull this off? I am not looking to do this or use this info to cheat anyone else, I know this was done to my son and another player on his team and like I said before I am very interested in knowing if this is possible and how easy it would be to pull it off. Thanks in advance for any help.

When I supervise weigh-ins, the scale is zeroed out after each wrestler steps on the scale. Any adjustments show up on the display. Similarly, since opponents weigh-in together, if one were over, the others would be too, as there is neither time nor opportunity to adjust the scale between wrestlers.

The old spring scales are pretty easy to throw off a couple of pounds, by sliding the calibration weight off. But again, the scale would have to be zeroed out before weigh-ins, and everyone would be heavy, including his opponent.

Additionally, your boy has the option to use another scale after using the official one. I believe, and if someone has their rulebook handy (shame on me for not having it) they can weigh-in on as many scales that the host has to use. So, at a tournament, if the host has five scales, and your boy blows weight on one, he can try each of them. There is a catch, (again, rulebook help please), he gets two? tries on the first, and one? on any following scale.

Grab your aluminum foil hats, we have a conspiracy!

Maybe your boy got a little antsy and chowed down on his pre (and post?) meet snacks early?

Comment

I do it all the time

Originally posted by lwwcfan View Post
      Ive been trying to gather info on this and I figured what better source than a wrestling site. My question is this, is it possible to rig or calibrate a digital scale to reflect a heavier weight than the actual weight and how difficult is this to do? Believe me I am not naive, I know that cheating goes on in all sports I would just like to know how easy this is to do. Also if you were weighing in say 30 kids and you wanted to make sure 2 or 3 were overweight is it possible to pull this off? I am not looking to do this or use this info to cheat anyone else, I know this was done to my son and another player on his team and like I said before I am very interested in knowing if this is possible and how easy it would be to pull it off. Thanks in advance for any help.
      Distract the opposing coach and toss a couple cheeseburgers and Big Gulps to his kids.

Comment

I personally don't know how to do it but I have little doubt that someone does. It would be easier to physically alter the weight than rig the scale. By that I mean play the part of a butcher and "thumb" the scale somehow. Some people spend a lot more time figuring out how to beat a system than I do. Hope it didn't really happen.
        "I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed!" Gen. George Patton

Comment

Chuck Farina used to bring a 50 lb weight with him to check a scale if necessary. Now we never talked about whether that 50 lb weight was certified 50 lbs. I only carried that weight a few times luckily...
          -Jeff Pape

Comment

I imagine the stories of two scales having different readings have to be endless. I know I have some but I won't bore you with them. Well maybe just one. I remember once at Fargo, coach Don Reynolds (Providence)told my kid "You are the last one in the country to make weight." He had went to every scale they had in Fargo trying to find one that would work for him after running, spitting, chewing gum, etc. Every single competitior had weighed in. he swore it was the scales fault. It was funny(only because he finaly made it) because it was so true.

I know I have heard what seems like a million times after some kid has blow the scale, "Well Coach/Dad, I was on weight on the check scale (or back at the park/home), I don't know why I didn't make weight."
            Last edited by MR TWISTER; 10-01-2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that in order to rig a digital scale you'll need to get inside the Integrated Circuit (IC). Being the eternal pessimist, tho, I noticed that in the same post where you "know" this was done to your son you're asking if it's even possible. How can you know it was done if you don't know if it's even possible?

Comment

They could be rigged some how, but if the scales are zeroed and then checked with a weight to make sure that they were accurate then that would reduce the margin of error. And yes, I know what it is like to be on weight on your scale and then not on weight on the weigh-in scale. All I can say is be on weight on your scale and give your self a 1/4 lb. That 4 oz. of gatorade is not going to make that much of difference.

Comment

I never understood why you can step on 5 different scales to make weight. If you dont make it try on another, but its ususally only off .02 pounds anyway. I know some kids try to step on the corners of the digital scales to be 2 tenths lighter, but i have never heard of a scale only being off for only 1 or 2 guys. I only know when I was in high school, we went to one school, with the old spring scales, and the scale was like 3 pounds light, our whole team was a few pounds under, and has it happens, our guy who was ranked 1st at 125 that year was suppose to wrestle the guy ranked 3rd but he dropped to 119 for that meet. It seemed pretty convenient for the scale to be light on that day, and that kid ranked 3rd barely made weight also.

Comment

All I can say is be on weight on your scale and give your self a 1/4 lb.

This was a practice we whole-heartedly believed in back in Jacksonville. We checked and zeroed our scales countless times and (much to our advantage) still found that ours was at least a pound heavier than every other scale in the conference. It became a running joke at every home meet when we heard "But Coach, I swear..."

Comment

Thanks for the info. I understand any scale can be a couple tenths off from another scale but I probably should have explained my sons situation which should explain my disbelief when he didnt make weight. My son plays football in a league where the boys have to weigh in each week before the game. His limit is 68.4 and he had no problem making weight the first 6 weeks with 67.0 being the highest he had weighed and this weight came in the second week, the previous three weeks he had weighed 66.4 two pounds under the max. The morning in question he had weighed 66.2 on our scale which he had used as a check scale each week before heading to the field to get an idea where he was. I know each scale is different but when he was weighed in one hour later he was one pound over 69.4! My wife could have taken him to three drivethru windows on the way to the field and he couldnt gain three pounds! And no he didnt eat or drink before the weigh-in. So now my question is how is this possible short of eating a side of beef, or the scale being rigged. Also in my previous post I mentioned a teammate was also over and this boy is always one pound under my son at weighins so again is it possible to rig this? Im not sure if this would help with an answer but my son along with six others have to weigh in together separate from the rest of the team because they are nine. Again thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

My advice is join a differnt league

My son plays football in a league where the boys have to weigh in each week before the game. His limit is 68.4... Im not sure if this would help with an answer but my son along with six others have to weigh in together separate from the rest of the team because they are nine. Again thanks in advance for any help.
                        What football league limits 9 year olds to under 70lbs?
                        My kids play Pop Warner football and the Mighty Mite Division (9 and under) weight limit is 90lbs to start the season, then each week an additional pound allowance is added to allow for growth, so I think the limit has to be about 96lbs now. 70lbs is on the very low end of average weight range for 9 yr old boys. This is Football...

Comment

Thanks for the info. I understand any scale can be a couple tenths off from another scale but I probably should have explained my sons situation which should explain my disbelief when he didnt make weight. My son plays football in a league where the boys have to weigh in each week before the game. His limit is 68.4 and he had no problem making weight the first 6 weeks with 67.0 being the highest he had weighed and this weight came in the second week, the previous three weeks he had weighed 66.4 two pounds under the max. The morning in question he had weighed 66.2 on our scale which he had used as a check scale each week before heading to the field to get an idea where he was. I know each scale is different but when he was weighed in one hour later he was one pound over 69.4! My wife could have taken him to three drivethru windows on the way to the field and he couldnt gain three pounds! And no he didnt eat or drink before the weigh-in. So now my question is how is this possible short of eating a side of beef, or the scale being rigged. Also in my previous post I mentioned a teammate was also over and this boy is always one pound under my son at weighins so again is it possible to rig this? Im not sure if this would help with an answer but my son along with six others have to weigh in together separate from the rest of the team because they are nine. Again thanks in advance for any help.
                          Don't take this wrong but it will help me understand what is going on. It sounds like you think someone rigged the scale so that your son would be overweight. Noone would do that unless your son was a great player compared to the other kids and they hoped to cripple your team, or they had something against you. Which of the two do you believe it to be? Which one of you is the "beast"?
                          "I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed!" Gen. George Patton

Comment

Slim, your probably right about joining another league but this will be the last year he has to worry about the weight issue. Your point about a growth allowance is something I have wondered about also. My son plays superlite. The max weight is an 8yr 90 pound striper. The league allows 9's to play as long as they weight no more than 68.4 and my sons team actually has seven kids that fit into this group. The superlite division is the only one that does not allow a growth allowance throughout the season. The lightweights,jv,and varsity all have a growth allowance that kicks in after week four. But as I stated before my boy has been under without a problem for six weeks its not as if he is starving himself to make weight his natural weight without pads is between 62-63. It was just a shock when he weighed in at 69.4 a pound over when he had not been over 67 pounds the whole season. The reason I was even asking this question wasnt because he didnt make weight last week thats over but the problem could come in four weeks because this same scale will be used to weigh in the participants for the Superbowl because the same team is the host team for this event. Any team that is fortunate enough to get to the bowl will have to deal with this as most teams in the league have a handful of 9's that will have to make weight. Again thanks for all the info.

Comment

Some of the digital scales have had problems with their cords at the connection point. This could throw off a reading by a considerable amount or a small amount. Or not. It can be inconsistent. You just don't know for sure unless you know where your kids weight is at and/or you check it on another scale. If you're concerned with not making weight, bring a certified scale with you and ask them to verify things on your scale if their scale seems heavy. It's probable that in your situation it wasn't a conspiracy against your son and teammate. It's more likely the scale was off for everybody and those that were real close (weight-wise) were impacted, others were not...
                              "FishArt"
                              Fish Specialties Taxidermy
                              WWW.FishSpecialties.NET

Comment

Working...
                              X