Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GBN Hatred

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [quote=ctdad;399543]
    Originally posted by hf70 View Post

    Like I said, I was was going off what Mr. Twister posted.

    I just looked at the archived video. The match ends at about the 29 minute mark. Cortez does the sign. The ref looks like he says something to him followed by the post match handshake/hand raising. Then, as Cortez leaves the mat, he gives the sign again, which was spotted by the assistant.

    I'm not going to debate the right or wrong, but if the ref said don't do it, don't. I know stuff like that gets flagged in college football a lot.
    I think the lack of consistancy in calling unsportsmanlike is a problem. It is ok to flex, jump around ,point to your fans, fly like a CS eagle, beat your chest, do backflips, etc, but yesterday on mat 6 with those refs it was not ok to make a circle with your hands toward your fans. This seems to be rather random and arbitrary. It appears that precedent was been set yesterday at team state. After your match, you had better shake hands and slowly walk oiff the mat with your head down, showing no emotions or you will get hit with an unsportsmanlike penalty. Craig Anderson had better get all his great state finals refs together and call it the same way.

    That being said Congrats to Sandburg for winning the championship. They wrestled great yesterday and deserved to win.
    Last edited by GOLDDOT1973; 02-26-2012, 01:23 PM.
    Do it in the name of heaven....you can justify it in the end.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by hf70 View Post
      Since when is making a gold dot (circle) with your hands ....
      What's this gold dot thing? Down here in the sticks and backwoods of Illinois (aka south of I-80), I'm not familiar with the gesture. Is this what drew the penalty points by the GBN wrestler? Is this an offensive gesture? An equiring southerner would like to know.
      Over 3,600 wrestling photos online at www.iphotonews.com

      Follow PhotoNews tweets on twitter @PhotoNewsWire

      Illinois Champion 2012 Takedown! The big Picture

      Comment


      • Originally posted by PN Guy View Post
        What's this gold dot thing? Down here in the sticks and backwoods of Illinois (aka south of I-80), I'm not familiar with the gesture. Is this what drew the penalty points by the GBN wrestler? Is this an offensive gesture? An equiring southerner would like to know.
        There is nothing offensive about it. Put your hands together in the shape of a circle. That's it. There was no taunting and nothing was said.
        Do it in the name of heaven....you can justify it in the end.

        Comment


        • Ok, so Cortez did something he was told not to do and GBN was docked 1 point. So what. What kills me is Hahn lipping off to the refs, costing the team 3 points, getting ejected, and embarrassing the GBN team and its fans. What's done is done. There is no going back now. Its a black eye for them, no matter how you look at it. The good thing is black eyes always heal with time.....

          Comment


          • Originally posted by backdrft76 View Post
            Ok, so Cortez did something he was told not to do and GBN was docked 1 point. So what. What kills me is Hahn lipping off to the refs, costing the team 3 points, getting ejected, and embarrassing the GBN team and its fans. What's done is done. There is no going back now. Its a black eye for them, no matter how you look at it. The good thing is black eyes always heal with time.....
            Why was Cortez not allowed to do what many other wrestlers did yesterday?
            As far as I can tell, no refs told Sandburg wrestlers to knock off the "fly like Eagles" routine. Rules are being applied in a random and arbitrary way. That's why Coach Hahn questioned the unsportsmanlike call.
            Do it in the name of heaven....you can justify it in the end.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by hf70 View Post
              The problem lies with GBN and CS and some old goofy thinking that they don't want to give them attention or support Catholic schools that recruit because 30 years ago there was an unwritten agreement with public schools to not engage with Catholic school......sigh......time for a change.

              I don't blame CS or GBN for not wrestling private schools...they don't play by the same rules. There are so many great public schools for them to wrestle...which they both include on their schedules.[/quote]

              Then don't blame Montini for creating the toughest schedule of any team in the state or be jealous of that. Dont' claim you are the best team in the state either, quailfy it by stating you are the best public school team in the state.
              Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules, and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence: in other words it is war minus the shooting. George Orwell, Shooting an Elephant, "The Sporting Spirit", 1950

              Comment


              • "Then don't blame Montini for creating the toughest schedule of any team in the state or be jealous of that."

                Have yet to see them petition up, so I won't blame them for something that is false.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Radical View Post
                  I don't blame CS or GBN for not wrestling private schools...they don't play by the same rules. There are so many great public schools for them to wrestle...which they both include on their schedules.
                  This is the reason that some states, like New Jersey, have separate team state championships . . . 1 for public schools and 1 for non-public schools. They recognize that the enrollment rules are diffferent. It doesn't affect the individuals state tournament, just the team titles.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by hf70 View Post
                    You are correct...I just checked the box scores...I didn't see the tech. I saw the two majors for GBN. It's a shame either way for GBN...all they had to do was win one of the last three matches. Marmolejo, up 7-0 and loses??? CS did the same thing to OP/RF...won 7 of the last 9 matches and the last two with pins!! Congrats to CS...today was their day!!! Top three teams could not get any closer...and all are public schools!!!
                    First criteria is team penalty points. So if they tied prior to the ejection, GBN loses due to the USC on Cortez.

                    Comment


                    • We were at the tourney yesterday and saw the whole Cortez thing. There was lots of chest thumping, finger raising, arms flapping, etc going on in all of the matches yesterday. Most of what I saw was one time as a kid was going off of the mat and it was usually to their team's fans. Cortez was warned after he did it the first time and chose to ignore the refs and turn to the CS fans and hold up the circle. Hahn and his assistants had been in the ref's faces all day and had been warned once in one of the earlier duals (don't remember if it was the first or second). Kids will be kids and they do stupid stuff in the heat of the moment. The bigger problem is when the adult in charge acts like a complete and total idiot as a reaction to the stupidity of a kid!!! I agree that the refs need to call things fairly but the bigger problem came when Hahn over-reacted to the whole situation!!! Right or wrong (we could argue that one til the cows come home), Cortez was hit with ONE team point, accept it and move on. Take the high road and show some class! I can even justify questioning the call because it could be considered questionable...but he should have walked away when he was warned. Instead, he chose to lose it and act like a complete and total idiot who had to be escorted out by security (we were sitting where you could see right down the tunnel where security physically took him out). It is hard to expect the kids to act appropriately and do the right thing when their adult role models fail to act in an appropriate manner!!! Teach your kids how to lose with dignity, but even more teach them how to win with that same dignity and class!! All three of the top 3A teams were so closely matched yesterday as far as ability goes...only 2 of those teams showed how to win and lose with class and dignity!!! CS was on fire yesterday and dug deep to come up with some huge wins to come out on top yesterday!! OPRF lost a heart breaker and they accepted it with all the sportsmanship and class in the world!! Congrats to all of the teams yesterday!! It was an awesome tournament with lots of incredible matches...too bad that GBN had to over shadow that with Hahn's antics!

                      Comment


                      • I was there and I saw the whole thing, my biggest question is why non of Hahn's assistants stepped in to diffuse him? They sat on the bench quietly and watched. The biggest losers were the GBN kids who worked hard all year for a state title and had it taken away like that. If I were a parent of a GBN kid I'd be extremly upset with the coaching staff as a whole. I have an extremly great amount of respect for Hahn and his program but they dropped the ball and it's strange because they are usually the most prepared team in the state. Murphy's match
                        Just Shut Up & Wrestle

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Radical View Post
                          I don't blame CS or GBN for not wrestling private schools...they don't play by the same rules. There are so many great public schools for them to wrestle...which they both include on their schedules.
                          Then don't blame Montini for creating the toughest schedule of any team in the state or be jealous of that. Dont' claim you are the best team in the state either, quailfy it by stating you are the best public school team in the state.[/quote]
                          nice post ,but can you please tell us what great public school teams you are refering to?
                          ?
                          You've just been grilled

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by HardCore View Post
                            We were at the tourney yesterday and saw the whole Cortez thing. There was lots of chest thumping, finger raising, arms flapping, etc going on in all of the matches yesterday. Most of what I saw was one time as a kid was going off of the mat and it was usually to their team's fans. Cortez was warned after he did it the first time and chose to ignore the refs and turn to the CS fans and hold up the circle. Hahn and his assistants had been in the ref's faces all day and had been warned once in one of the earlier duals (don't remember if it was the first or second). Kids will be kids and they do stupid stuff in the heat of the moment. The bigger problem is when the adult in charge acts like a complete and total idiot as a reaction to the stupidity of a kid!!! I agree that the refs need to call things fairly but the bigger problem came when Hahn over-reacted to the whole situation!!! Right or wrong (we could argue that one til the cows come home), Cortez was hit with ONE team point, accept it and move on. Take the high road and show some class! I can even justify questioning the call because it could be considered questionable...but he should have walked away when he was warned. Instead, he chose to lose it and act like a complete and total idiot who had to be escorted out by security (we were sitting where you could see right down the tunnel where security physically took him out). It is hard to expect the kids to act appropriately and do the right thing when their adult role models fail to act in an appropriate manner!!! Teach your kids how to lose with dignity, but even more teach them how to win with that same dignity and class!! All three of the top 3A teams were so closely matched yesterday as far as ability goes...only 2 of those teams showed how to win and lose with class and dignity!!! CS was on fire yesterday and dug deep to come up with some huge wins to come out on top yesterday!! OPRF lost a heart breaker and they accepted it with all the sportsmanship and class in the world!! Congrats to all of the teams yesterday!! It was an awesome tournament with lots of incredible matches...too bad that GBN had to over shadow that with Hahn's antics!
                            Great post. I was there as well and that it exactly how I interpreted the situation. CS & OPRF both showed class. Congrats to both!
                            "I don't want to give my opponent the satisfaction of watching me celebrate, which would make it look like a big deal that I beat him."-Brent Metcalf

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ref99 View Post
                              First criteria is team penalty points. So if they tied prior to the ejection, GBN loses due to the USC on Cortez.
                              They lost by 4. Even if Hahn doesn't get ejected and lose 3 team points, GBN loses by 1 because of the USC on Cortez. Same result, just not going to criteria.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Champaign Supernova View Post
                                "Then don't blame Montini for creating the toughest schedule of any team in the state or be jealous of that."

                                Have yet to see them petition up, so I won't blame them for something that is false.

                                What is false? Montini's schedule? Ironman, Cheesehead and Dvorak. Clash a year ago and probably again next year (taken of the 2011/2012 schedule due to IHSA rule changes anticipated to be reversed for 2012/2013).Scheduled duals with top teams in Michigan but had to cancel due to a snow storm (and if they would have gone everyone would have complained that they shouldn't make that trip into a snow storm -- no win situation but our kids are safe).

                                Even if Montini did petition up they would not be guaranteed a dual with either Sandburg, GBN or any other school. So why not make it happen and put Montini on the schedule? If these other school do then we will really know. Montini is waiting.....

                                Petitioning to 3A is an administrative decision and out of the wrestling coach's hands. The schedule is substantially a coach's decision, so call later this week, Izzy will be waiting to hear from you when he returns for Jamaica....on Wednesday or Thursday.
                                Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules, and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence: in other words it is war minus the shooting. George Orwell, Shooting an Elephant, "The Sporting Spirit", 1950

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X