New weight classes - stiil hate em

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New weight classes - stiil hate em

After a long season which I have spoken with 100's of coaches / fan's of the sport of wrestling (mostly in PA- D1) and I have yet to get a positive response to the new weight classes, the problem everyone is complaining and what we need to do is MAN up, this is the MOST NON Political SPORT out there but it appears that wrestling people are (SKIRTING OUT) when it comes to this issue so I am asking for your support so I can Finalize my Petition to the NFHS to change back to the OLD weight classes for the good of the sport and the WRESTLERS who are dedicated to it. Just an Example of how poorly distributed the NEW WEIGHT Classes are, the following are STATS on eleven (11) JV bracketed tournament (from numerous states) participation per weight class to reinforce how ridiculously the distribution is per the new weight class;

State
    Numerous
    Weight Class
    Wrestlers
    % per Class
    6.92%
    5.41%
    7.38%
    8.54%
    10.36%
    10.36%
    10.75%
    8.81%
    7.50%
    6.84%
    5.53%
    4.02%
    3.32%
    4.25%
    Total

So again Do what is right for the Sport and the Kids dedicated to it, support to change back to OLD WEIGHT CLASSES by hitting the following link
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dGlfNE1ZSG9aRE5Nb3lhZHJ6Xzh3emc6MQ#gid=0
    Also if you would like to shoot me a comment via email petro330@aol.com , like the one’s below from an Ohio Wrestling publication
    INSIDER-June2011 / HIGH SCHOOL INSIDER with Bob Preusse
    # 1 However, Council Rock South Pennsylvania head coach Brad Silimperi told me, “I have not spoken to one coach who had input nor one coach who thinks this is positive for our sport. EVERY SINGLE COACH I have spoken to thinks this is BAD BAD BAD. Our District Committee members never really voted and were told their vote wouldn’t matter as there was nothing they can do about it.”
    # 2 Head coach Dom Mancini of Youngstown Boardman Ohio took the time to calculate (Optimal Performance Calculator) results for this season in Ohio, which I would guess is close to other states in terms of percentages in each class. Coach Mancini says this data represents all Ohio wrestlers that certify for their lowest weight class. We know that not all kids go down to the lowest weight, but none the less this is solid data to approximate the total number of kids in each weight class. This shows that the 125 through 140 classes contain an average of 1219 wrestlers per class who certified there. The three heaviest classes averaged 677 certifications only. Yet here at the heaviest weights is where the NFHS has added a weight while eliminating one from 125 through 140 where there were a much higher average number of wrestlers per class. Is this logical?
    I will add you comment (looking for Coaches) to my Petition information to the NFHS regarding the NEW WEIGHT CLASSES DISASTER.
    Please step up
    Thanks
    Marc Petrucelli

Originally posted by petro330 View Post
    After a long season which I have spoken with 100's of coaches / fan's of the sport of wrestling (mostly in PA- D1) and I have yet to get a positive response to the new weight classes, the problem everyone is complaining and what we need to do is MAN up, this is the MOST NON Political SPORT out there but it appears that wrestling people are (SKIRTING OUT) when it comes to this issue so I am asking for your support so I can Finalize my Petition to the NFHS to change back to the OLD weight classes for the good of the sport and the WRESTLERS who are dedicated to it. Just an Example of how poorly distributed the NEW WEIGHT Classes are, the following are STATS on eleven (11) JV bracketed tournament (from numerous states) participation per weight class to reinforce how ridiculously the distribution is per the new weight class;

State
    Numerous
    Weight Class
    Wrestlers
    % per Class

6.92%

5.41%

7.38%

8.54%

10.36%

10.36%

10.75%

8.81%

7.50%

6.84%

5.53%

4.02%

3.32%

4.25%

Total

So again Do what is right for the Sport and the Kids dedicated to it, support to change back to OLD WEIGHT CLASSES by hitting the following link
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dGlfNE1ZSG9aRE5Nb3lhZHJ6Xzh3emc6MQ#gid=0
    Also if you would like to shoot me a comment via email petro330@aol.com , like the one’s below from an Ohio Wrestling publication
    INSIDER-June2011 / HIGH SCHOOL INSIDER with Bob Preusse
    # 1 However, Council Rock South Pennsylvania head coach Brad Silimperi told me, “I have not spoken to one coach who had input nor one coach who thinks this is positive for our sport. EVERY SINGLE COACH I have spoken to thinks this is BAD BAD BAD. Our District Committee members never really voted and were told their vote wouldn’t matter as there was nothing they can do about it.”
    # 2 Head coach Dom Mancini of Youngstown Boardman Ohio took the time to calculate (Optimal Performance Calculator) results for this season in Ohio, which I would guess is close to other states in terms of percentages in each class. Coach Mancini says this data represents all Ohio wrestlers that certify for their lowest weight class. We know that not all kids go down to the lowest weight, but none the less this is solid data to approximate the total number of kids in each weight class. This shows that the 125 through 140 classes contain an average of 1219 wrestlers per class who certified there. The three heaviest classes averaged 677 certifications only. Yet here at the heaviest weights is where the NFHS has added a weight while eliminating one from 125 through 140 where there were a much higher average number of wrestlers per class. Is this logical?
    I will add you comment (looking for Coaches) to my Petition information to the NFHS regarding the NEW WEIGHT CLASSES DISASTER.
    Please step up
    Thanks
    Marc Petrucelli
    I like 'em. Keep them how they are!

Comment

Did I read that right? You are using stats from JV tournaments to show low participation in the upper weights? It would be better if you used varsity stats cause, you know, kids tend to grow as they get older.

If you are having trouble finding varsity stats, just "man up" and look harder.
      sigpic
      "No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time...all you got is life time!"
      -Henry Rollins

Comment

Just once i'd like to read some type of proposal/petition on tis broad that looks like it was written by an adult.

Writing things in bold and in all caps makes you look childish and makes people in administrative positions look down upon your work, even if the message is spot on. Either write like a big boy or hire a copy writer to do it for you.
        http://www.video-infinity.com

Comment

Mr. White just to let you know JV kids are wrestlers also and not all are necessarily freshman and sophmores and the true DEPTH of the Sport is in the JV wrestlers good partners make good teams, the main point is there are 2 to 3 times as many middle weights as upper weights and they added a upper weight and eliminated a middle weight absolutely zero common sense. But for your point I also measured 25 Varsity Tournaments across the country from RTOC to escape the Rock in PA / chapel tiger in NC / Fred Bell in Ill ect so here are the Stats

State Numerous
          Weight Class Wrestlers % per Class
          106 495 6.88%
          113 463 6.44%
          120 518 7.20%
          126 622 8.65%
          132 627 8.72%
          138 615 8.55%
          145 648 9.01%
          152 577 8.03%
          160 532 7.40%
          170 511 7.11%
          182 422 5.87%
          195 391 5.44%
          220 364 5.06%
          285 405 5.63%

And James Oliva if your looking for a job as a writer to help me out shoot me a email via my last post god know my grammar could use some help. But the new weight classes are a complete mess if the goal is to truly maxamize participation and encourage kids to wrestle through HS. Hit the link support changing Back to the OLD weights

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...h3emc6MQ#gid=0

Comment

I like the new weights, and you certainly haven't convinced me to think differently. Sorry, but your argument and representation of said argument is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by wrestler74 View Post
              I like the new weights, and you certainly haven't convinced me to think differently. Sorry, but your argument and representation of said argument is weak.
              I concur on both accounts!

Comment

me too

Originally posted by bigvern77 View Post
                I concur on both accounts!
                I also am in agreement.
                On second thought, petro maybe you are right. OOh! I got a better idea, get rid of any weight class over 170, that will ensure that numbers in scholastic wrestling will increase. The big guys just don't bring enough to the sport, they don't deserve to be on the same mat as a 140lber.
                By hesitating you are making a choice. You’re choosing to take the decision out of your own hands and put it in the hands of someone else. And that means that you lose.

Comment

Stats or no stats, I hate 'em. The 195 and 220lbs weight classes were ridiculously thin. Go back to the old weight classes or add a 15th weight class in the middle.
                  sigpic

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

Comment

i can say from personally going through 220 and 215 when i started i was directly inbetween 189 and 215 which if you look at that that is the largest gap out of all the weight classes which is ridiculous i was weighing at 195 to 200 my whole sophmore year wrestling kids who cut yaknow people complain about wrestling up 10 15 pounds even 20 pounds but thats what kids who would wrestle 215 and weighed that weight had to do i do think they need maybe a bit of tweaking but the way they are now is better then they were i think everyone complaining about the new weight classes is probably just a middle weight who would complain about wrestling up 10 or 20 pounds i have never heard a heavier guy complain about having to wrestle up or at least i havent sorry to step on toes but just stating my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by coolhand5194 View Post
                      i can say from personally going through 220 and 215 when i started i was directly inbetween 189 and 215 which if you look at that that is the largest gap out of all the weight classes which is ridiculous i was weighing at 195 to 200 my whole sophmore year wrestling kids who cut yaknow people complain about wrestling up 10 15 pounds even 20 pounds but thats what kids who would wrestle 215 and weighed that weight had to do i do think they need maybe a bit of tweaking but the way they are now is better then they were i think everyone complaining about the new weight classes is probably just a middle weight who would complain about wrestling up 10 or 20 pounds i have never heard a heavier guy complain about having to wrestle up or at least i havent sorry to step on toes but just stating my opinion
                      If you think the weight disparity is bad, you need to go back about 30 years when the top two weights were 185lbs...and Hwt (unlimited). The weight differences are far tougher on the little guys vs say a 189lber wrestling up vs a 215lber, and I watched many good 189 & 215lbers BEAT good Hwts...ie, Jerome Ward over Pete Kowalczuk and Christian Brantley beating Goebel.
                      sigpic

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

Comment

new weights =weak upper weights

I know of one regional that only had 4 wrestlers at 195! This is terrible for the sport. All this did is create a bottle neck starting at 126 running to 145. Limiting the number weight classes where the majority of people fit is stupid. I saw just as many, if not more, FF at 195-hw as I did at 106. Someone needs to run thru the tournaments and count FF for this year at each weight. I think the numbers will work against the new system.

Comment

I got nothing against the big guy wrestling / we need Football players (I coach FOOTBALL) who wrestle just to fill the OLD upper weight classes, the issue is most programs have to recruit 1st or 2nd year kids to fill the additional upper weight while you push a kid out of a varsity spot who could have been wrestling 6-8 years because there are so many kids in the middle. Cool hand you are right upper weights are used to wrestling up 10 -20 lbs at this years district 1 south tournament in PA (not a bad wrestling state) the District Champion weighed in at a whopping 175lbs wrestling up almost 2 weight classes, why a very weak weight class. Put it this way could a 120 district champ in Illinois or any state move up to the 132lb bracket and even place at Districts? Answer NO WAY there is Too much depth and talent at those weight classes and the new weights crunched them even tighter and will push kids out of the sport at least in good programs.

The weight classes should be in place to maximize participation where kids are certified to wrestle and encourage the highest level of competition possible, the new weight classes encourage another SUMO contest and take away from where the biggest numbers are certified to wrestle and who on average have been the most dedicated to the sport.

Hit link to support changing back for the GOOD of the sport

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...h3emc6MQ#gid=0

Comment

From most of the programs I talked to, the new weights knocked out a good kid or had at least one kid cut WAY to much weigh to get in the line up. How is this good for the kids or the sport? If it was about growing add a big boy and maybe move around big weights a little. Between the new weights and three classes it makes early big boy matches down state UGLY.

Comment

I coach and I like the new weights. I thought I pointed that out before. Anyway, now you have one coach who likes the new weights. Seems like there are more than a few on these boards who are happy with the new weights, but they aren't coaches so maybe their opinion doesn't matter. Sorry, Petro, but not everyone shares your opinion.
                              "I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed!" Gen. George Patton

Comment

Working...
                              X