Ironman final notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironman final notes

The team race was about as lopsided as I have ever seen it since I have been coming here. Blair ran away with it and the only team over 200pts. Wyoming Seminary a distant 2nd and nobody even close after that. Montini was the highest finishing IL team but I don't think they even reached 100pts. Christensen was the only finalist, finishing 2nd at 195lbs, Mayora and Ragusin placing in the consolations. Marmion had two placers, Sotelo losing in the 3rd place match, and Chumbley. Marian had Travis Ford-Melton also losing in the 3rd place match, and Reece Heller placing 5th. Ramos from Lockport also finished 5th. Drousias was the only placer for Mt Carmel.

Tough tournament but plenty of wrestling ahead. OPRF in the Powerade, Montini back in Dvorak, The Clash with a lot of Illinois teams coming up.
    sigpic

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

Originally posted by mckbln View Post
    The team race was about as lopsided as I have ever seen it since I have been coming here. Blair ran away with it and the only team over 200pts. Wyoming Seminary a distant 2nd and nobody even close after that. Montini was the highest finishing IL team but I don't think they even reached 100pts. Christensen was the only finalist, finishing 2nd at 195lbs, Mayora and Ragusin placing in the consolations. Marmion had two placers, Sotelo losing in the 3rd place match, and Chumbley. Marian had Travis Ford-Melton also losing in the 3rd place match, and Reece Heller placing 5th. Ramos from Lockport also finished 5th. Drousias was the only placer for Mt Carmel.

Tough tournament but plenty of wrestling ahead. OPRF in the Powerade, Montini back in Dvorak, The Clash with a lot of Illinois teams coming up.

Far and away the toughest in season tournament in the country.
    Each class on average had 10 ranked kids in the top 20 in the country. Congrats to all the IL kids on a great tournament

Comment

It's time to move the tournament to a better wrestling venue. It has outgrown the Walsh Jesuit facilities.

Especially with the new rules, they need more space on the edge of the mat for the wrestlers to work, and with 11 mats packed into a sardine can, it doesn't allow for that.

A bigger venue would allievate those issues, and also allow more seating for spectators. However this will never happen.

Comment

Too bad stiles and mcnicholas weren't able to wrestle. Montini would have came in 3rd. Actually better than last year. But there is still a huge gap between the top 2 teams and the rest of the field.

Comment

Originally posted by maddog81 View Post
          Too bad stiles and mcnicholas weren't able to wrestle. Montini would have came in 3rd. Actually better than last year. But there is still a huge gap between the top 2 teams and the rest of the field.
          Stiles would definitely helped, I don't know how far McNichols would have gone. I would also note that St Edward is down and Paris Graham is WAY down this year. Bryce Andonian (St Edward 145lbs) did not have a good tournament but his teammate Sam Dover was a beast at 152lbs. The kid from Texas wrestling for Blair that beat Christensen at 195lbs in the finals, Albert Ferrari is the real deal. The 145lber Ryan Anderson from Bethlehem Catholic, PA was the best wrestler I watched in the tournament. He sprawled out of a deep leg attack on pure hip strength. Brutal.
          sigpic

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

Comment

I agree that mcnicholas wouldn't have gone far but even a couple points and stiles placing 5th which I believe would have been higher would have given them enough for 3rd. Ardonian seemed to handle mayora easily.

Comment

Working...
            X