Holdouts & Redshirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holdouts & Redshirts

So just curious - what do you do with your kids when you wait a year between finishing 8th grade and starting as a freshman a year later?

They play fortnite

Comment

Honest question, why would you want hold him back to at this point?

Legally, he has to be in school somewhere. That means either repeating 8th grade or being homeschooled. If the latter, are you prepared to take on that repsonsibility? If the former, if he's even an average student, he's going to be bored out his mind, and the boredom would get worse the better student he is.

Now, if he's really struggling in the classroom, I could understand it.

Also keep in mind his friends are moving on to high school. They will leave him behind as new friends are found and new groups are formed. While this may not seem like a big deal to you, to a 14-15 year old it is.

Just a few non-athletic things to consider. And the real bottom line, what does HE want to do?
      Last edited by ctdad; 12-19-2018, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Probably like being in a coma for a year. Get absolutely nothing out of it. Lose a year of your life and have to fight to get it back. Would be a horrible experience but I guess you fight through whatever the unforeseen catastrophe is.
        Last edited by Hook-N-Tilt; 12-20-2018, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grapple20 View Post
          So just curious - what do you do with your kids when you wait a year between finishing 8th grade and starting as a freshman a year later?

Send him to a private school.

Comment

Originally posted by formersomeone View Post
            Send him to a private school.
            What would that do (serious question)?

Comment

Ha...I remember as a joke asking my son as an IKWF 8th grade State Champ at 79 pounds would he be interested in being held back a year. He looks me dead in the eye and states, “Held back for sports. Why.” My wife is across the room just shaking her head at me and probably not believing I was joking. She (and apparently my son too) was never gonna let me do something so dumb....lol.

To each their own but as the original poster asked...Just what do you do during that red shirt year?

Comment

Originally posted by ctdad View Post
                What would that do (serious question)?

Private Grammar school. A southwest suburban school had a QB years ago whose dad put him in the Local Catholic school to repeat 8th grade so he would have two years between him and a stud they already had.

Comment

Originally posted by MR TWISTER View Post
                  Ha...I remember as a joke asking my son as an IKWF 8th grade State Champ at 79 pounds would he be interested in being held back a year. He looks me dead in the eye and states, “Held back for sports. Why.” My wife is across the room just shaking her head at me and probably not believing I was joking. She (and apparently my son too) was never gonna let me do something so dumb....lol.

To each their own but as the original poster asked...Just what do you do during that red shirt year?
                  Send your kid to Russia for a year and train.

Comment

Why is it so looked down upon to hold back before Freshman year of HS yet it's totally acceptable to Redshirt in college? One poster said "you lose a year of your life" if it's before HS. Seems extreme. Yet in four short years it's the norm. Like Twist said, to each their own. To answer question, you train with your team and home school. You can always improve on critical thinking, some people on this site can use extra time there. Our family had same convo, my kid wouldn't hold back.

Comment

Originally posted by MR TWISTER View Post

I know he had a pretty good year, but do you remember what Mario actually weighed his freshman year at MC? I assume he was below 103 then?
                      www.facebook.com/SouthSideOutlawsWC
                      Family Over Everything

Comment

Originally posted by onyourtoes View Post
                        I know he had a pretty good year, but do you remember what Mario actually weighed his freshman year at MC? I assume he was below 103 then?
                        I don't know the answer to the question about Mario, but IMO, this type of scenario is one example of a good reason for a kid to be held back in 8th grade.
                        Say a kid weighs 80-85 lbs and is 13 years old in 8th grade....hes smaller and younger than almost all of his classmates, and probably smaller than most 7th graders as well. In almost every single sport, he is at a huge disadvantage, and even in wrestling, would be at least 1-2 years behind, catching up on weight to every one else in high school. Not that sports are "every thing", but if the kid has interest in sports, then it should at least be considered when thinking about his future.
                        The parents can't be blamed, because when they started the young man in kindergarten maybe a little early, they had no way of telling how big he was going to be when he is 13.
                        As a wrestler, in this case, I can see it making sense for the parents to consider holding the kid back. He would be 14 entering high school, like most kids, and would have an extra year to grow a little bit more, thus eliminating at least one year of being way too small in high school.
                        Also, sports aside, look at it from a "social" stand point. 13 entering high school, is 17 entering college. Going away from home at 18-19-20 is hard enough, but at 17 is a major disadvantage.

Comment

How many kids are doing this?

Comment

Ok maybe I shouldn't have said "redshirt" because that's completely different and so is college. I'm specifically talking about taking a year off of school after 8th grade to start high school a year later.

Would like to know what they did for that year. Funny thing is I was wondering what the hell happened to a couple kids that should be sophomores this year that popped up as freshman.

Comment

I was 78 lbs as a freshmen in high school and would have never wanted to be held back. I didn't break 100 until my senior year. In my opinion no student should be held back in school for sports. If they need to be held back due to academic reasons great, but not for sports.

Comment

Working...
                              X