Tis the season...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tis the season...

For injury defaults! How many intentional injury defaults do we see this weekend?

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid

Comment

They do often happen. Let's see!

Comment

Many of these occurred because the 4th place finisher had, theoretically, a better shot at a wrestleback. With the advent of full wrestlebacks this year, that potential advantage goes away, so hopefully those IDs will be cut down

Comment

The IHSA is in on it

It happens because there is a guy who figures he is 4th best in the Sectional but he will get knocked off by the 2 of the top 3 guys, and never get a shot at the guy who will take 4th. That is unless he defaults his prelim match, he won't cross bracket in the consolations, then the gets to meet the guy they need to beat to get downstate.

It makes no difference that there are full wrestlebacks in the state tournament, with the current Sectional format, it will happen in approximately half of the Sectional weight classes.

This has been pointed out to the IHSA and they are okay with it - so default away, guilt-free.

Comment

I was talking more about Friday first rd defaults to get an easier blood rd match

Comment

?

What happens if two wrestlers both want to injury default the same match in order to find a more “winnable” blood round match up? Rock, paper, scissors?
              "Intensity, Integrity, and Intelligence"

Comment

Know the Rules

Coaches who are planning these kinds of prelim round "defaults" as a strategy to get their kid down state better understand the rules clearly.

Rule 10.2.3: Defeat due to injury in a tournament does not eliminate a contestant from further competition.

Rule 10.2.4: In case of injury or illness after verification of entries, the tournament director, in consultation with the designated, on-site appropriate health care professional(s) and the coach of the injured or ill contestant, shall determine the contestant's ability to continue. Extenuating circumstances concerning the injury or illness as it relates to default or forfeit for scoring purposes, shall be considered by the the tournament director. (not applicable at a Sectional.)

Rule 10.2.5: A forfeit shall eliminate a contestant from further competition in a tournament, except when the forfeit is because of an injury or illness which occurred during the tournament.

So you can't just walk your kid up to the scoring table for his prelim round match, tell the the ref my kid is sick or injured and we plan to default, and expect that he'll be able to continue in the consolation if the injury did not occur during the tournament. A default occurs after a match has begun. A medical forfeit results from a prior injury that occurred during the tournament. In both cases, the kid can continue. That is, so long as the injury or illness is legit.

I'm envisioning a doctor's note that says..."this kid can wrestle, so long as it's not against somebody so tough it may worsen his injury?"

And yes, I've had circumstances where both wrestlers defaulted due to legitimate injuries and nobody advanced.

Comment

So you can't just walk your kid up to the scoring table for his prelim round match, tell the the ref my kid is sick or injured and we plan to default, and expect that he'll be able to continue in the consolation if the injury did not occur during the tournament. A default occurs after a match has begun. A medical forfeit results from a prior injury that occurred during the tournament. In both cases, the kid can continue. That is, so long as the injury or illness is legit.

ILwrestle please explain who will proves if the illness is legit? The kid has the 24 hour flu, he'll be good to go tomorrow. What is the onsite test for the flu?

Isn't that the same as taking a fake injury timeout? A ref always gives you the injury time, even though he knows your faking and sucking wind?

Comment

I've WITNESSED a kid throw a match he wrestled first round. Was told through the grapevine -- supposedly coming from his Dad -- that this was the "strategy" he worked out with his coach.

Didn't want to risk the scrutiny of NOT wrestling the match so just went in and let a kid who he had beaten previously "out wrestle" him.

And to cut to the chase: I don't care if you believe me or not. It happened. I know how goofy it sounds.
                    "That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon

Comment

Imo, this is the worst thing ever, this happend at the regional tournament last week kids didnt wrestle there finals match? I get the whole injured thing that's another story but just not wanting to wrestle to get a better match? I'm sorry if your a head coach you shouldn't be allowed to coach anymore? What are you teaching your kids? It's ok to loose, or how else do you learn? I mean I have read some stuff on this site and laughed but I really hope that none of you guys really believe this helps? And if your a coach shame on you.

Comment

Originally posted by 40 Reasons View Post

ILwrestle please explain who will proves if the illness is legit? The kid has the 24 hour flu, he'll be good to go tomorrow. What is the onsite test for the flu?

Isn't that the same as taking a fake injury timeout? A ref always gives you the injury time, even though he knows your faking and sucking wind?

I've always left that decision to the "on-site health care professional." Every Sectional has a professional "head" trainer on site, required by the IHSA. If the trainer says the kid has the flu, who am I to dispute it. But I always ask the trainer.

Comment

Coach Perry your post confuses me. The sectional schematic (which regional is what letter) is not released until after all regionals are finished. There is no way to know if finishing 1st or 2nd in your regional will lead to a better sectional bracket or not.

Comment

Originally posted by coachperry View Post
                            Imo, this is the worst thing ever, this happend at the regional tournament last week kids didnt wrestle there finals match? I get the whole injured thing that's another story but just not wanting to wrestle to get a better match? I'm sorry if your a head coach you shouldn't be allowed to coach anymore? What are you teaching your kids? It's ok to loose, or how else do you learn? I mean I have read some stuff on this site and laughed but I really hope that none of you guys really believe this helps? And if your a coach shame on you.
                            It's here to stay. All of it. The default, the transferring high schools after starting at a different one, illegal recruiting, and fake addresses. That's what IL wrestling has become. Pretty similar to the wild, wild, west!

Comment

Originally posted by CONDOR View Post
                              Coach Perry your post confuses me. The sectional schematic (which regional is what letter) is not released until after all regionals are finished. There is no way to know if finishing 1st or 2nd in your regional will lead to a better sectional bracket or not.
                              I didnt word it right I'm sorry , but a couple kids did forfeit there matches, I'm not sure why but it happened. And they looked pretty healthy to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X