Semi-Final Calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-Final Calls

Atrocious to watch two (160 and 182) semi-finals go into overtime and watch two calls given out that definitely should not have been called. No time given for reaction and no chance for any sort of appeal. Liberal refs had their mind set that they were right and those calls would stand. Doesnít surprise me at all how these officials keep blowing call after call. God forbid you actually let the kids wrestle instead of taking the match into your own hands. Something really needs to be done.

Originally posted by tommy_shelby1 View Post
    Atrocious to watch two (160 and 182) semi-finals go into overtime and watch two calls given out that definitely should not have been called. No time given for reaction and no chance for any sort of appeal. Liberal refs had their mind set that they were right and those calls would stand. Doesnít surprise me at all how these officials keep blowing call after call. God forbid you actually let the kids wrestle instead of taking the match into your own hands. Something really needs to be done.
    I canít imagine that anyone would disagree with you. What made no sense was that most of the time fans are yelling for two and the refs are slow to give it. They typically want to insure that the top wrestler has control. In both of these instances the bottom wrestler immediately scrambled out

Comment

Originally posted by tommy_shelby1 View Post
      Do we really have to invoke politics into this? Unless you were using one of the other definitions of the word liberal... but then, word choice, man. Plus, we've got referees from all across the political spectrum - trust me.
      (And if you didn't mean the political sense of the word, I will gladly edit this post to remove this part)

Originally posted by Mainefan View Post
      I canít imagine that anyone would disagree with you. What made no sense was that most of the time fans are yelling for two and the refs are slow to give it. They typically want to insure that the top wrestler has control. In both of these instances the bottom wrestler immediately scrambled out
      Agreed. If it was two when the fans are screaming and the wrestlers haven't changed position in five seconds, it was two before anyone was screaming out.

Not to potentially hijack this, but since it's related, anyone else notice how some of these rules are being enforced more like a mix between collegiate and high school rules? (Takedowns with no reaction time is the clear example, but I've seen a lot of questionable stalling calls too. And hands to the face, but that one... mixed feelings in general on that rule.)

Comment

[QUOTE=WhiteNinja;551292]Do we really have to invoke politics into this? Unless you were using one of the other definitions of the word liberal... but then, word choice, man. Plus, we've got referees from all across the political spectrum - trust me.
        (And if you didn't mean the political sense of the word, I will gladly edit this post to remove this part)

Agreed. If it was two when the fans are screaming and the wrestlers haven't changed position in five seconds, it was two before anyone was screaming out.

Not to potentially hijack this, but since it's related, anyone else notice how some of these rules are being enforced more like a mix between collegiate and high school rules? (Takedowns with no reaction time is the clear example, but I've seen a lot of questionable stalling calls too. And hands to the face, but that one... mixed feelings in general on that rule.)[/QUOTE]

I agree.
        The rules are the rules, to be sure, but they should not be magnified or called differently just because it is state. Meaning, if, for example, hands to the face isn't (or barely ever) called all season, why would it be called now with any frequency? Is there all of the sudden an epidemic of hands to the face? With these being the best wrestlers IN the state?

Not to mention the stalling calls. These are many of the same referees that we have seen all season, why now are they calling stalling when the wrestler takes a step back (or back and to the side), right before his shot?
        It's called a set-up.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteNinja View Post
          Do we really have to invoke politics into this? Unless you were using one of the other definitions of the word liberal... but then, word choice, man. Plus, we've got referees from all across the political spectrum - trust me.

Not to potentially hijack this, but since it's related, anyone else notice how some of these rules are being enforced more like a mix between collegiate and high school rules? (Takedowns with no reaction time is the clear example, but I've seen a lot of questionable stalling calls too. And hands to the face, but that one... mixed feelings in general on that rule.)
          Chill out dude you have entered MAGA territory. We are making this forumn great again. Thanks and have a lovely day.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteNinja View Post

Good point - probably has something to do with it, maybe the best refs have some college ref experience. Most of these guys have probably practiced with college wrestlers at some point though. Would be hard to change per event. State refs has always been extreme with stall calls, = its probably up to the coaches to prepare the wrestlers for this. The top seeds have ended up in the finals in most of these brackets, part of it is not leaving close - although easier said than done, they are all very good that make it this far. And then these guy will be mid level in college, the competition levels thing is hard to fathom.
            There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

Comment

3rd place match at 106 is classic example of bad refs doing too much. Kid had 6 points on the board without an offensive attempt. Some of these refs should stop embarrassing themselves and step away.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
                3rd place match at 106 is classic example of bad refs doing too much. Kid had 6 points on the board without an offensive attempt. Some of these refs should stop embarrassing themselves and step away.
                I'm ok with the fleeing the mat call. Not sure about some of the other points, it was hard to see from the nosebleeds.

Castleberry's got a mean right hook though. Pretty sure the ref scored that one correctly! Kid embarrased himself on that one.
                Last edited by BDrag; 02-16-2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

End of 5th place match at 132. Lopez attempting reversal has Calloway close to giving up defensive fall. Ref gets lost looking dor the fall and forgets Lopez is in nf criteria for 15 seconds. Not a single swipe. Again some of these dudes should just step away.

Comment

Originally posted by BDrag View Post
                    I'm ok with the fleeing the mat call. Not sure about some of the other points, it was hard to see from the nosebleeds.

Castleberry's got a mean right hook though. Pretty sure the ref scored that one correctly! Kid embarrased himself on that one.
                    I would have been ok with it too... except the ref called stalling. Castleberry lifts and walks bottom guy out. Should have been a flee but... you get my point.

Yes he needs to compose himself a lot better but I understood his frustration and he took it out on the wrong guy.

Comment

Originally posted by chino1992 View Post
                      Chill out dude you have entered MAGA territory. We are making this forumn great again. Thanks and have a lovely day.
                      Way to douche it up.

Comment

The problem with the semifinal calls is that you only saw them during that round. It was if someone told the refs that is late and if matches go into overtime, end them as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post

Yes he needs to compose himself a lot better but I understood his frustration and he took it out on the wrong guy.
                          I'll try not to read into this because if I did it might sound like you're saying he should have punched the ref.
                          Instead I'll just ask, How should he have taken it out on the right guy

Comment

Originally posted by BDrag View Post
                            I'll try not to read into this because if I did it might sound like you're saying he should have punched the ref.
                            Instead I'll just ask, How should he have taken it out on the right guy
                            Shouldn't have punched anyone. He has the ability to get to legs at will. There was a point in the match that he shut down and stopped attacking. Control what is within your control and let me do the complaining.

Comment

Working...
                            X