Fresh/Soph coaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh/Soph coaching

It was nice to see some of these varsity wrestlers come out today and take the chair to help their teammates. For those kids, the season is over and yet they showed up. More then a I can say for the varsity coaches. You think some coaches would take an interest to come out and see the future of the team and incourage these younger wrestlers. This is the time to develop these kids for next season, not pass the buck to the mega clubs in the offseason. Big kudus to the Lincoln Way Central coach taking the chair today . Definitely shows in interest in growing his team.

Looked like a bunch of the varsity coaches made it to the Andrew tournaments.

Comment

These were not IHSA tournaments so the high schools aren't covered for liability insurance. Our high school prohibited the varsity coaches from attending, and the wrestlers were not to wear their high school singlets or gear.

Comment

I thought high school coaches were not allowed to coach

Comment

Originally posted by will-I-am View Post
          I thought high school coaches were not allowed to coach
          It has nothing to do with high school so as long as you’re a paying IWCOA member you can coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Grapple20 View Post
            It has nothing to do with high school so as long as you’re a paying IWCOA member you can coach.
            Not exactly true. IHSA By-laws state the following regarding off-season coaching:

3.107 During the school year, a person who is a coach in any sport at a member school, may be involved in any respect with any non-school team, only if the number of squad members from his/her school which are on the non-school team roster does not exceed one-half the number of players needed to field a team in actual IHSA state series competition in that sport. The number of non-school team squad members that are counted only include those that are eligible to play in the next season of that sport.

A strict reading of this for frosh-soph would be if a school has more than 7 kids enter, no coach from that school can be a part of the series, and that would include the assistant football coach who wrestled in high school.

Now I realize that the word "team" is a loose one as it relates to this event, but I do remember several years ago Craig Anderson (when he was in charge of wrestling for the IHSA) sending out a memo basically banning participation by a school's coaching staff in the Frosh-Soph series.

And while it may sound silly and has been routinely violated, it COULD lead to somebody making an issue of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grapple20 View Post
              Sect. 5.171

No school belonging to this association (IHSA) shall organize its boys wrestling teams, practice or participate in interscholastic contests earlier than Monday of week 19 or later than Saturday week 34 in the IHSA standardized calendar.

Sounds to me like the season is over no head coaches should be coaching.

Comment

You can help out at a table, put together brackets, there is no rule against that. My AD was all over me so I announced down state. Also, get together with another team! I did it with PW, PE, and St. Joes, they coached my kids I coached theirs. It is actually good for the kids because other coaches give different looks. Have fun!!! Plus the kids get different work out partners, it turns live real quick!!!
                Always support your local wrestling tournament concession stands!!!

Comment

While we are discussing coaching,can a assistant varsity h.s. coach also coach in the iesa state series after ihsa season is complete,as in now

Comment

So coaches can’t coach in Frosh/Soph but they can run freestyle/Greco in spring with their entire team there and that isn’t breaking the rules? Yeah ok!

Comment

Originally posted by Cfc46 View Post
                      While we are discussing coaching,can a assistant varsity h.s. coach also coach in the iesa state series after ihsa season is complete,as in now
                      I don't see why not, as they aren't coaching "their" high school athletes. As far as the freestyle/Greco thing, perhaps it is viewed different because it's not folkstyle? I don't know, but perhaps that could be it?

Comment

Correct. Freestyle and Greco are considered separate sports by the IHSA.

Comment

Originally posted by CONDOR View Post
                          Correct. Freestyle and Greco are considered separate sports by the IHSA.
                          WRONG!

So all these clubs Freestyle and Greco that are being coached by school staff better be training other schools kids and not their own cause it is ILLEGAL during the school year. You are awarded 25 contact days during the summer, but you have ZERO during the school year outside of your season. But the IHSA has very known violators of these rules yet nothing is ever done!

3.110 COACHING SCHOOL PARTICIPATION
                          3.111 During the school year, a person who is a coach at any member school may not be involved in any respect with any coaching school, camp, or clinic for any interscholastic sport or which provides instruction in any skill of an interscholastic sport and is attended by more than two (2) persons from the coach’s school. Violation shall cause ineligibility for a period not to exceed 365 days. Programs that involve only demonstration of skills and sports theory without providing instruction and requiring active participation by attendees are not considered coaching schools.

3.112 Students may attend a coaching school, camp or clinic during the summer months provided they do not attend before school is out in the spring or after Sunday of Week Number 5 in the IHSA Standardized Calendar. Such coaching schools, camps and clinics may be conducted by an individual, group or even a member school and instruction at such programs may be provided by any person. However, in the case of a school-sponsored camp, participation may not be restricted to high school students who have been certified eligible for athletics.

3.112.1 During the summer months (which shall be defined as the period of time between the last day of student attendance at a student’s member school and Sunday of Week 5 in the IHSA Standardized Calendar), any number of students from a member school may attend a coaching school, camp, or clinic. If a coach at a member school is involved in any respect with a coaching school, camp, or clinic attended by students from the coach’s school, the days on which the coaching school, camp, or clinic occur shall be considered a part of the school’s contact days, as outlined in IHSA By-Law 3.153.

3.112.2 During any time of the calendar year, any number of students from a member school may attend a coaching school, camp, or clinic provided no person who is a coach at the students’ member school is involved in any respect with the coaching school, camp, or clinic. If a coach at a member school is involved in any respect with a coaching school, camp, or clinic, the number of students from a member school who can attend the coaching school, camp, or clinic shall be limited to the number outlined in IHSA By-Law 3.111.

3.112.3 Violations of the above provisions shall cause ineligibility for a period not to exceed 365 days, pending a ruling from the Executive Director.

Comment

Originally posted by ModestMouse View Post
                            WRONG!

So all these clubs Freestyle and Greco that are being coached by school staff better be training other schools kids and not their own cause it is ILLEGAL during the school year. You are awarded 25 contact days during the summer, but you have ZERO during the school year outside of your season. But the IHSA has very known violators of these rules yet nothing is ever done!

3.110 COACHING SCHOOL PARTICIPATION
                            3.111 During the school year, a person who is a coach at any member school may not be involved in any respect with any coaching school, camp, or clinic for any interscholastic sport or which provides instruction in any skill of an interscholastic sport and is attended by more than two (2) persons from the coach’s school. Violation shall cause ineligibility for a period not to exceed 365 days. Programs that involve only demonstration of skills and sports theory without providing instruction and requiring active participation by attendees are not considered coaching schools.

3.112 Students may attend a coaching school, camp or clinic during the summer months provided they do not attend before school is out in the spring or after Sunday of Week Number 5 in the IHSA Standardized Calendar. Such coaching schools, camps and clinics may be conducted by an individual, group or even a member school and instruction at such programs may be provided by any person. However, in the case of a school-sponsored camp, participation may not be restricted to high school students who have been certified eligible for athletics.

3.112.1 During the summer months (which shall be defined as the period of time between the last day of student attendance at a student’s member school and Sunday of Week 5 in the IHSA Standardized Calendar), any number of students from a member school may attend a coaching school, camp, or clinic. If a coach at a member school is involved in any respect with a coaching school, camp, or clinic attended by students from the coach’s school, the days on which the coaching school, camp, or clinic occur shall be considered a part of the school’s contact days, as outlined in IHSA By-Law 3.153.

3.112.2 During any time of the calendar year, any number of students from a member school may attend a coaching school, camp, or clinic provided no person who is a coach at the students’ member school is involved in any respect with the coaching school, camp, or clinic. If a coach at a member school is involved in any respect with a coaching school, camp, or clinic, the number of students from a member school who can attend the coaching school, camp, or clinic shall be limited to the number outlined in IHSA By-Law 3.111.

3.112.3 Violations of the above provisions shall cause ineligibility for a period not to exceed 365 days, pending a ruling from the Executive Director.
                            Did you know that Illinois Law prevents all persons from falling asleep in “cheese shops”? Google it.

I think I speak for many on this forum when supporting the promotion of Illinois wrestling. Head or assistant coach, let the kids be motivated and encouraged by whom they are familiar with. It will increase participation in Illinois Wrestling.

It’s people like you crying foul who bring down our participant numbers by recommending ridiculous rules (or attempting to enforce them).

Comment

Originally posted by Predictions View Post
                              Did you know that Illinois Law prevents all persons from falling asleep in “cheese shops”? Google it.

I think I speak for many on this forum when supporting the promotion of Illinois wrestling. Head or assistant coach, let the kids be motivated and encouraged by whom they are familiar with. It will increase participation in Illinois Wrestling.

It’s people like you crying foul who bring down our participant numbers by recommending ridiculous rules (or attempting to enforce them).
                              Did you really say that? I think I can speak for many on this forum that follow the rules correctly and do it the right way! it has nothing to do with participation numbers. It has everything to do with following the rules and building a clean program with some dignity and respect.
                              Now that being said, there are many ways to work with off season coaches that will compliment your program with off season training and still be within the rules of the IHSA.

Comment

Working...
                              X