Don't Be Fooled! IWCOA Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Be Fooled! IWCOA Tourney

I saw a Facebook post by Illinois Matmen regarding the IWCOA "State Tournament"

The post stated that Dylan Connell is looking to capture his 4th Illinois State Title when he competes in the IWCOA tournament this weekend.
    Misleading Crap!

Dylan won 3 IHSA Championships and unfortunately denied a 4th because of Covid restrictions.
    The IWCOA tournament will definately not be recognized by the IHSA as a sanctioned state championship. In no way will the Champions be recognized by the Illinois High School Association. No chance. Don't be fooled.

I find the Facebook post to be at the very least pretentious and misleading. Just outright wrong!

Lauden
    "It's not the six minutes, it's what happens in those six minutes"

I hope all the kids have fun competing and good luck to all of them but you are absolutely correct, this is not a state championship and should in no way be recognized in that way

Comment

I wish Dylan a great tournament in pursuit of his 4th title. If he prevails, years from now, it'll be remembered as such and, as always, your own take on it matters too. Right now, it's the only game in town as the OOD league (old, opinionated douchebags) hasn't stepped up to offer anything other than their typical bullshirt.

So in years to come, the results of the upcoming tournament will be all anyone looks at... despite the OOD still complaining about it.
      "That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon

Comment

Hey I am not that old.

Comment

Why wouldn't it be his 4th state title? The teams are all the same. Don't let the IHSA get away with F_cking the kids.

Comment

I too wish Dylan luck, as well as all the deserving athletes getting a chance to participate for an Illinois 2021 Wrestling State Title over the next few weeks.

I question why anyone in the community would chose to down play the opportunity the kids are getting, thanks to an outside organization coming in to save it, as opposed to ask why baseball, softball, girls soccer, boys and girls track, boys and girls lacrosse, boys and girls water polo, boys volleyball and boys tennis are more deserving than wrestling for getting a "traditional" state finals.

Comment

Contrary to the Facebook post by Illinois Matmen, IWCOA "State Championship is not an IHSA State Championship. The results will not be recognized by IHSA or noted in it's history of state championships. There will only be a notation stating 2021 State Series was canceled due to Covid.
              The Facebook post insinuates otherwise and is simply not true.

I am not downplaying the tournament. Just recognizing for what is... an opportunity for kids to get quality matches in a state series format and enjoy a culminating activity to the season.
              Last edited by lauden swain; 6 days ago.
              "It's not the six minutes, it's what happens in those six minutes"

Comment

Originally posted by lauden swain View Post
                Contrary to the Facebook post by Illinois Matmen, IWCOA "State Championship is not an IHSA State Championship. The results will not be recognized by IHSA or noted in it's history of state championships. There will only be a notation stating 2021 State Series was canceled due to Covid.
                The Facebook post insinuates otherwise and is simply not true.

I am not downplaying the tournament. Just recognizing for what is... an opportunity for kids to get quality matches in a state series format and enjoy a culminating activity to the season.
                The same as your opinion is that this tournament somehow doesn't count, my opinion is the same... about your opinion.

Whether the IHSA recognizes it or not doesn't mean a hill of beans. I don't give a flock about the IHSA. They've become a political machine that clearly doesn't have our kids' best interests at heart.

IWCOA should run the State tournament EVERY year going forward... and the quicker this sport turns its back on the IHSA (which I recognize is extremely unlikely to happen) the better it will be for the sport.

That's MY opinion and I don't give a flying flock who agrees or disagrees with it.

Calling out a kid by name the way you've done here is low class. Matmen on FB was promoting, you are detracting. Again, my opinion.
                "That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by lauden swain View Post
                  I’m new to all the HS stuff so please excuse my confusion as to what makes a true state tournament.

My understanding is that the IWCOA will be hosting a three part tournament immediately following season.

Other than a few logistical items at the regional level, my understanding is that the IWCOA tournament will be conducted with the exact same format as those true state tournaments that preceded it.

The IWCOA tournament will feature the same top teams that the true state tournaments preceding it did... and yes the top ranked teams in all classes are signed up.

Really the only thing I see missing is an acknowledgement by an organization that found a way to give Lacrosse and Tennis a state series but gave wrestling the middle finger… well that and not being able to hit La Bamba afterwards.

So again, I’m still adjusting from the youth level bullsh*t to HS level bullsh*t, please fill me in on why this is a collection of “quality matches” and not a state tournament?

Comment

Actually Springfield has a La Bamba you could hit:

1731 S MacArthur Blvd. Springfield, IL 62704

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Edmonds View Post
                      Actually Springfield has a La Bamba you could hit:

1731 S MacArthur Blvd. Springfield, IL 62704
                      Just more proof that this is a true state tournament and my dining options are set!

Comment

will regionals or sectionals be available for streaming?

Comment

Oldfat145

labamba in Normal.

Comment

More proof this is not a real state tournament, take a look at the Regional brackets. Glad the kids get to wrestle but please this is no where near a real state tournament competition

Comment

Originally posted by HuffHall View Post
                              More proof this is not a real state tournament, take a look at the Regional brackets. Glad the kids get to wrestle but please this is no where near a real state tournament competition
                              Quit crying. I've been at many, many regionals that couldn't fill brackets. You can't wrestle people that choose not to show up.

Comment

Working...
                              X