1st Annual Illinois Matmen High School Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fierce View Post
    i don't like that the consolation bracket is 1-1.5-1.5 thats way too short of a match
    I agree. Should be at least 1-2-2.

Comment

So, will this tourney be limited to 250 or will you take anyone who participated from regionals forward?

Comment

Originally posted by stokjok View Post
        So, will this tourney be limited to 250 or will you take anyone who participated from regionals forward?
        "All State" wrestler have first registration rights. They can preregister right after individual state tournament for 8 days(roughly). Once their time-line has expired, it's open registration for anyone until we hit 250 wrestlers(IHSA wrestlers)

This is a show case tournament to try and draw Illinois talent(only) from all 3 classes. Class A, Class AA, Class AAA all in one folk style tournament. The best competing against the best... For example, I watched Odeen(Coal City) last night. I'd like to see him grapple with the AA/AAA wrestlers. Trust me, he could roll with them... and this could be the tournament to see that type of match.
        Eat, sleep and wrestling.

Comment

Admin or Maximus,

Have we checked with the IHSA yet to see if we can get maybe a flyer with all this information handed out to the finalists on the podiums? They already receive a letter from the IWCOA inviting them to the Illinois/Indiana dual, maybe we can do the same thing. We would have a lot more particpants I would guess. Just a thought.
          www.harvardwrestling.com

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy View Post
            Admin or Maximus,

Have we checked with the IHSA yet to see if we can get maybe a flyer with all this information handed out to the finalists on the podiums? They already receive a letter from the IWCOA inviting them to the Illinois/Indiana dual, maybe we can do the same thing. We would have a lot more particpants I would guess. Just a thought.
            I plan on personally delivering a letter to all medalists in Champaign.
            Illinois' Premier Wrestling Website

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy View Post
              Admin or Maximus,

Flashy, you know the Class A kids better then anyone... is this something the Class A guys would attend?

Comment

I think that this tourney is a great idea. I have one concern because I obviously don't know. This is held at a middle school? What kind of capacity does it have?
                110%, NOTHING LESS

Comment

Shabbona

Originally posted by rooster32 View Post
                  I think that this tourney is a great idea. I have one concern because I obviously don't know. This is held at a middle school? What kind of capacity does it have?
                  As far as seating goes, it's going to depend on whether both gyms at the school are used and how the mats are set up. The main (newer) gym does not have much seating. I can't give you a number for capacity, but I know the newer gym was always very crowded when the middle school held its tournament. The older gym has more seating, especially if both sets of bleachers are used. Both gyms combined will probably have enough seating.

Parking at the school might be inadequate, at least it's in short supply when the youth football team has home games or when Shabbona is hosting its wrestling invitational. People will be able to park on the streets running along the school. Additionally, the high school is about 400 yards away and would provide additional parking space as well as Goold Park across the street. I'm not sure if a shuttle bus from those lots would be available or necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankS View Post
                    As far as seating goes, it's going to depend on whether both gyms at the school are used and how the mats are set up. The main (newer) gym does not have much seating. I can't give you a number for capacity, but I know the newer gym was always very crowded when the middle school held its tournament. The older gym has more seating, especially if both sets of bleachers are used. Both gyms combined will probably have enough seating.

Parking at the school might be inadequate, at least it's in short supply when the youth football team has home games or when Shabbona is hosting its wrestling invitational. People will be able to park on the streets running along the school. Additionally, the high school is about 400 yards away and would provide additional parking space as well as Goold Park across the street. I'm not sure if a shuttle bus from those lots would be available or necessary.
                    From what I understand, we will be using both gyms... 4 mats in one gym and 2 in the other. Maximus can probably give more details on the setup.
                    Illinois' Premier Wrestling Website

Comment

Originally posted by rooster32 View Post
                      We should have enough seating. We will be using both gyms for the tournament(4 and 2 split) The consession area is located in between gyms, so it should be a nice set up.

With a maximum of 250 wrestlers, I don't see the facility size as an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                        We should have enough seating. We will be using both gyms for the tournament(4 and 2 split) The consession area is located in between gyms, so it should be a nice set up.

With a maximum of 250 wrestlers, I don't see the facility size as an issue.
                        Just for comparison's sake, how many people attending the state finals last year? There were approximately 500 wrestlers for the final day.

Comment

The class A kids won't be scared, I guarantee you that.

Comment

i have a feeling the class A turn out will have the most champs and runner ups, they have the most to prove

Comment

http://www.illinoismatmen.com/hschallenge.php

The tournament web site has been updated to include a few college reps. that are coming...

Comment

Originally posted by MTC140 View Post
                                The class A kids won't be scared, I guarantee you that.
                                I heard they already are.
                                Yeah but if you do bad stuff you're going to come back as something bad like a slug or an anal bead. But if you do something heroic then you'll come back as like an eagle or a dragon, or Jude Law. Now which would you rather be?

Comment

Working...
                                X