Illinois Matmen Forums

Illinois Matmen Forums (http://illinoismatmen.com/forum/index.php)
-   IHSA 2A (http://illinoismatmen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2A or not 2A... that is the question (http://illinoismatmen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65263)

Truth is Out There 09-12-2018 08:51 AM

2A or not 2A... that is the question

I stumbled across this from the IHSA. Nice to see JCA setting the bar higher for themselves. I expected to see some other schools listed here for wrestling.

If you were to review the current list of schools for each class, there's a couple that make you go hmmm...

3. The Board heard a report on schools who have filed waivers to play up a State Series classification. All waivers require a two-year commitment. The schools, sports, new class, and applicable years on each waiver are listed below:
School Sport New Class Years
East St. Louis (H.S.) Football 7A 2017-18 & 2018-19
Joliet Catholic (Academy) Wrestling 2A 2018-19 & 2019-20
Chicago (DePaul College Prep) Boys Basketball 3A 2017-18 & 2018-19
Chicago (Phillips) Football 6A 2018-19 & 2019-20
Chicago (St. Rita) Boys Basketball 4A 2018-19 & 2019-20

The Cleaner 09-12-2018 02:34 PM

Does this mean that Providence is staying 2A this year?

In the Know 09-12-2018 02:50 PM

No

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cleaner (Post 545208)
Does this mean that Providence is staying 2A this year?

Providence is automatically 3A based upon the success multiplier

The Cleaner 09-12-2018 09:06 PM

Stick to the IKWF Forum. Even after being multiplied their enrollment keeps them in 2A. If they do not petition up that is where they will be. I did not see them on the list provided by the original poster.

allpowerfuloz 09-12-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cleaner (Post 545214)
Stick to the IKWF Forum. Even after being multiplied their enrollment keeps them in 2A. If they do not petition up that is where they will be. I did not see them on the list provided by the original poster.

You're right about them even being multiplied keeps the enrollment low enough for 2A. However they achieved 2 top 4 trophies over 4 years which means the success factor aka Montini rule will automatically bump them up to 3A. Also to the original post I don't think we need to make that big of a deal about JCA petiotion. They're saying no to 1A and staying in 2A.

Central IL Guy 09-13-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allpowerfuloz (Post 545216)
You're right about them even being multiplied keeps the enrollment low enough for 2A. However they achieved 2 top 4 trophies over 4 years which means the success factor aka Montini rule will automatically bump them up to 3A. Also to the original post I don't think we need to make that big of a deal about JCA petiotion. They're saying no to 1A and staying in 2A.

Sorry to tell you, but you are wrong. This link is the School Classifications provided by the IHSA for the 2018-19 School Year. There is only one school the success factor has been applied to and that is Montini. Providence is listed as a 2A team and will be in 2A. I believe there is a window of time in which you have to apply to move up, and I think that is past so these classifications are final. I won't swear to that, but am pretty sure.

http://ihsa.org/Schools/EnrollmentsC...fications.aspx

Bionic Ankle 09-13-2018 08:18 AM

Quote:

the success factor aka Montini rule

Its the Washington rule more than anything else.

It was championed by an IHSA director who used to be part of the Washington administration.

It was done to get Montini out of 2A and out of Washington's way. Washington doesn't win without the success factor in place. So call it what it is. Its the Washington rule.

Truth is Out There 09-13-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Yeah, that would be my question too. They appear to have met the criteria to have been success-factored, yet their listing has not changed.

Was this an IHSA oversight? I remember they had Montini listed in 2A when that listing first appeared. It took 5 minutes for a post about it to go up on Matmen and less than 15 minutes for it to get changed.

As for JCA, I don't think I was making a big deal out of it at all... do you?

It is indeed a good thing that they did this. It shows they're serious about raising the bar of their competition. Their schedule reflects 3A not 2A if you review it objectively.

Had the pleasure of speaking with some of their coaches yesterday. And while I agree with their feeling that "it will take time for the culture to change", they're making positive changes -- and they've quietly assembled one of the best coaching staffs in the State.

Wrestling families in that area would do well to check out what they offer.

allpowerfuloz 09-13-2018 10:58 AM

Providence in 2a was an ihsa oversight. Sources close to Providence wrestling have told me no matter what they'll be in 3A because that's what Reynolds wants.

allpowerfuloz 09-13-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truth is Out There (Post 545226)
Yeah, that would be my question too. They appear to have met the criteria to have been success-factored, yet their listing has not changed.

Was this an IHSA oversight? I remember they had Montini listed in 2A when that listing first appeared. It took 5 minutes for a post about it to go up on Matmen and less than 15 minutes for it to get changed.

As for JCA, I don't think I was making a big deal out of it at all... do you?

It is indeed a good thing that they did this. It shows they're serious about raising the bar of their competition. Their schedule reflects 3A not 2A if you review it objectively.

Had the pleasure of speaking with some of their coaches yesterday. And while I agree with their feeling that "it will take time for the culture to change", they're making positive changes -- and they've quietly assembled one of the best coaching staffs in the State.

Wrestling families in that area would do well to check out what they offer.

They are doing a great job, but 1A to 2A is not news worthy. Some might argue 1A is tougher to compete in.