Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 09-04-2019
Olympian

Jeremy Hunter Appreciation Day Because America the Beautiful

We live in a glorious country, a country that not only provides us with a Burger King, but also a Dairy Queen. We have places of business that provide massages to our dogs because American dogs deserve more than the haphazard petting you get from amateurs.

We can buy our children Legos, and even if we are poor, we can buy them some kind of generic connecting blocks because Legos are so damn expensive. Hell, we even have movies based on those expensive Legos.

A country as glorious as the United States of America deserves only the best Assistant Wrestling Coaches, and one of them is Jeremy Hunter.

There's a great article about him up at fightingillini.com right now. 171-2 in high school, and four Pennsylvania state titles, 33-1 both of his last two years in college and a national championship in 2003. There are some fantastic quotes from Kyle Ott, Mike Carr, Mike Poeta and others.

I especially liked the story about how he joined the ILLINI staff.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 09-05-2019
Varsity

Thanks for sharing, great write up.

Back points
Old 09-06-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulach View Post
Thanks for sharing, great write up.

Back points
You're welcome! I enjoyed the article, especially hearing from ILLINI heroes like Kyle Ott.

Here's hoping that the ILLINI have an injury-free season so that Coach Hunter has good clay to mold. Last year, all the lightweights were on the sidelines for at least a little while, even the indestructible Piotrowski. If healthy, I can see those guys doing lots of damage.

UPDATE: By way of making excuses for myself as a father, I did some additional Lego research. You see, I usually couldn't afford the name brand Legos.

I would've liked to have put a hidden camera near the Legos at Toys-R-Us in Champaign to record the looks on the faces of Fathers and Mothers as they picked up their first box and looked at the sticker.

As you know, that is now impossible.

So, I decided to find out if you can build a house made of Legos and how much it would cost. During my research, I learned that the BBC's James May had already done that back in 2009.

It took 816,000,000 Lego bricks.

May did not indicate how much that cost (other than "millions"). So, I found a "Creator Set" of 1,000 basic Lego blocks on Amazon. They sell for $99.00 each. Just for the raw materials to build the house, it would cost over eighty-one million dollars!

What does that have to do with Jeremy Hunter? It proves that he is the best, or one of the best, lightweight wrestling coaches in our beautiful country, the United States of America!

And that your dream of a Lego house is cray-cray.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
You're welcome! I enjoyed the article, especially hearing from ILLINI heroes like Kyle Ott.

Here's hoping that the ILLINI have an injury-free season so that Coach Hunter has good clay to mold. Last year, all the lightweights were on the sidelines for at least a little while, even the indestructible Piotrowski. If healthy, I can see those guys doing lots of damage.

UPDATE: By way of making excuses for myself as a father, I did some additional Lego research. You see, I usually couldn't afford the name brand Legos.

I would've liked to have put a hidden camera near the Legos at Toys-R-Us in Champaign to record the looks on the faces of Fathers and Mothers as they picked up their first box and looked at the sticker.

As you know, that is now impossible.

So, I decided to find out if you can build a house made of Legos and how much it would cost. During my research, I learned that the BBC's James May had already done that back in 2009.

It took 816,000,000 Lego bricks.

May did not indicate how much that cost (other than "millions"). So, I found a "Creator Set" of 1,000 basic Lego blocks on Amazon. They sell for $99.00 each. Just for the raw materials to build the house, it would cost over eighty-one million dollars!

What does that have to do with Jeremy Hunter? It proves that he is the best, or one of the best, lightweight wrestling coaches in our beautiful country, the United States of America!

And that your dream of a Lego house is cray-cray.

GO ILLINI!!!
Your talents are wasted on this site. My brother in law, who did not go to U of I & was a computer science major, is on some sort of volunteer sports marketing committee for U of I. (My sister and their kids went there though) They attend gatherings once in a while or something & he gets various free stuff - not sure what they do, but I believe you would be an asset to that organization. Your humor is almost professional, I heard they used one of your suggestions on Portandia. Anyway, you might want to look into it the committee. I personally have no great love for UofI, when you start bragging about building a personal bowling alley and hair salon for the football players only - you have jumped the shark and are not spending your money wisely...Illinois really needs two premier schools like in most of the other big 10 states. UofI stuck it to Northern when Northern got out of the UofI board of regents and started its decline, but that is subject for another day. You had to move a historic farm from south of the Stadium because it looked to rural? - give me a break...I do still go to a Uof I football game every year. I am not sure what I think about wrestling in front of the stadium on football days, sounds a bit needy to me, but might be a good idea. Some, probably most kids have never even seen wrestling.

https://fightingillini.com/news/2019...-athletes.aspx

People who went to U of I years ago might enjoy this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akT4acpHsN0

PS, I would also take Dekalbs's Tar (Blatant Dissent) over Champaign's very own REO Speedwagon.

Fun fact:
Born Christopher Bridges on September 11, 1977, in Champaign, Illinois, Ludacris moved to Atlanta during his high-school years and attended Banneker High School there.

Last edited by Blonjuan44; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:31 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

I appreciate the compliment Blonjuan44, but this is just a hobby. I try to be worthy of this site and, especially, the ILLINI wrestling team.

As for athletic facilities, I don't think that that is an appropriate conversation for this thread. I do believe in the old saw, "healthy body, healthy mind," and would be happy to discuss this in an off-topics thread.

Your video of the changes in Champaign-Urbana was a kick to my gut. I haven't been gone that long, but the place has changed drastically.

As for the great Jeremy Hunter, I was thinking about all the AAs he has helped to mold, and, of course, was concentrating on all the lightweights. But I also noted that there were some big guys giving him beaucoup credit. Guys like Poeta, as well as guys as big as John Wise (the orange hulk).

Then, I checked out the incoming lightweight freshmen, and headlining the class are Lucas Byrd and Domenic Zaccone. Could be some serious hardware in their future if they listen to Jeremy Hunter.

GO ILLINI!!!
Sponsored Links