Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 11-05-2018
Junior Varsity

Mat Cleaning Tips/Tricks

What a wonderful day it was today as we finally had the chance to roll out all of our mats. Unfortunately , I discovered that our mats are starting to look like an old gym sock left for dead under one of our wrestlers beds. There is dirt in the creases, there is tape residue, and we have several black scuffs on the mat as well.

I went ahead and did my due diligence with the KenClean to rid us of the creepy crawlies, but I'm not too sure what to use to really get at the dirt and grime on the mat.

If you have any tips/trick to keeping the mats clean, I would love to hear them. Unfortunately our team has to roll out mats daily onto the gym floor. Dirt,dust, and sometimes the occasional piece of gum are the lifestyle that we have for now.

Thanks in advance-
Old 11-05-2018
Olympian

Ken Clean Deep clean 2 and a soft bristle brush. I spray it on heavy and work it in real well. You will be amazed at how bright the mats will look. We have a reddish color mat that was covered in grime in the cracks and crevices. After a couple of regular cleanings it brightened up. Then I took the time to scrub a little and they look great now.
Old 11-06-2018
Varsity

Sometimes this is a factor of using cleaner that is not really designed to clean mats.

Even though I used to sell it, I always recommended getting the slightly more expensive cleaner that is sold as a mat cleaner. Vs getting a universal cleaner. As long as itís marketed as a wrestling mat cleaner from a respected wrestling brand you should be in good shape.
Old 11-06-2018
Varsity

Beautiful mats (true story!)

Years ago when I was coaching I came in over winter break for practice and the mats looked beautiful, clean, and shiny. When we started practice and the room began to heat up the wrestlers started sliding all over the mat. I found the custodian to ask if he knew anything about it and he asked if the mats looked good. I said yes why. He responded that he had waxed the mats!
Old 11-06-2018
Olympian

We had a lot of traction problems when we used bleach and water to clean the mats. So using the Ken Clean product is the way to go, less skin funk and a lot safer wrestling surfaces. Especially if the mats are getting damp with sweat during practice.

And as a poster said a lot of elbow grease and Ken Clean, other products may cause more harm than help.
Old 11-09-2018
Junior Varsity

Thanks for the ideas...I picked up the Deep Clean 2 and the Mat Tape Remover, I'm hoping to take some before and afters, to help those that might find themselves in similar situations in the future-
Old 03-28-2019
Olympian

Is there anything out there equivalent to Ken Clean? Its quite expensive for a program that has no budget given to them.
Sponsored Links