Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 10-12-2005
Varsity

The Burk Blog 10/12

Hey. Sorry so late with this entry, our internet in our apartment was down for a week as we were switching companies. I do live in an apartment instead of a dorm. I live with Danny, Mike Grimes from Montini, and Johnny Galloway from Iowa City. They are all good guys and hard workers so it helps me out.

The first week and a half of practice is done and it was all that I expected. We still have morning and afternoon practices, but the afternoon practices are now structured. We have wrestled top-bottom for the past week and a half and it has helped immensely. I have worked on wrestling on my feet all summer and then wrestled partere for freestyle and greco, so I had not worked much on top-bottom for folkstyle. We do either 4-10 minute go's or we once did a 30 minute go. If you get away, you get to be on top and so on. If you aren't good on bottom, it can be a long day.

Right now, I am just trying to get bigger and stronger in order to become a 184 pounder. I didn't really lift all too hard before last summer and continued that into this past spring and summer. Our lifting coach, Matt Mangum, is a great lifter who does well in national competitions. He has put 2gether a nice workout for us to do which helps immensely if taken seriously. I am going to wrestle 184 this year and not 174 because I see this year as a year to get bigger, not to cut weight. I also do not want to have to wrestle off against Danny, no need for that.

We are also doing a lot of technique with stand up and riding the wrists on top as of now. Coach Grant stresses being tough and moving on bottom and then keeping the pressure forward on top. I am just trying to take in all the new technique and apply it when we wrestle live. We will begin to wrestle on our feet again soon, and that's when the conditioning will really begin to kick in.

I am also just trying to stay injury free right now. I see Danny being injured and how it hampers his working out, and I definately don't want that to happen to me. I want to be able to get as much wrestling and lifting in as possible.

Our wrestle-offs are on Wednesday, November 2nd at the Convocation Center. There should be some great matches at almost every weight. It would be great to get as many people there to watch as possible, as I see this being one of our best years under Coach Grant.

Well, I am gonna go. Good luck to all wrestlers as they prepare for the season. Have fun, especially the seniors. Enjoy it, it flies by.

Peace...WOW !!!

Last edited by admin; 10-12-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links