Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 08-06-2007
Olympian

My Life - Updated

Growing up I had a lot of dreams, just like everyone does. As an athlete, my goals and dreams were the things that kept me going everyday, and kept me striving to make myself better. I always set my goals high and chased my dreams with every once of energy I had. In the end, I fell short of a lot of goals and dreams, athletically. But, I learned long ago that life is much more than athletics, and so I had dreams that went beyond sports, and in my real life. And, in the past few months, I have seen a few of those dreams coming true, and it has been a completely remarkable time for me in my life. So, for this blog, I just want to talk about a few dreams that I have seen some true recently for myself, and it will help update you all a bit in my life.
1) Growing up, my best memories were sitting on the side of a mat with my dad right next to me, and a couple GI Joes in my hands, watching Peoria Notre Dame wrestling. I absolutely loved being around the team and the program, and just watching wrestling. As I grew older, I started going to practices and working out with the team, and still going to all the meets. And finally, I was able to wrestle for the Irish for four years in high school, and it was one of the best times of my life. My dad as my coach, my buddies and brother as my teammates, and everything was wonderful. Now, after graduating college, I have finally reached the one dream that I have had since the very first memory I have.....to coach at Peoria Notre Dame, alongside my dad. It is something I have always wanted to do, and now it is becoming a reality. I will be an assistant to my father with the wrestling program, and also be teaching in the school. In addition, I will be assisting Mr Mike Bare with the soccer team. I am very excited and eager to begin teaching at the school, and have been having a great time working with the athletes at the school. I look forward to having a long career at PND, and hopefully helping to put the wrestling program up to a level I think it belongs.
2) Another dream I have had since I was little has been to see my little brother Duke become the best wrestler he could be. I think a lot of people know that Duke and I are very close. We are brothers, best friends, workout partners, etc. I have always wanted him to succeed, even above my own career. Its been a great pleasure for me to be able to work with him throughout our lives, and help him develop into a great wrestler. Last year, Duke was very successful as a freshman. He won a lot of matches, and made it to the NCAAs. It was a lot of fun traveling with him and competing in back to back weights last year. But one thing was missing with Duke, and it kind of held him back a bit at times. I started to see it, and waited for the end of the season to talk to him about, and we figured it out. He was doing great, but was not doing as great as he could have done, and we both knew it. So ever since last March, Duke has been on a mission to get back whatever it was he was missing (its a secret!). He has improved A LOT since then, and is enjoying the sport more than ever I think. He is going to go down a weight class, and I think that will help out a lot. Another thing that has helped is a nice old man named Joe Williams. I was really worried when I left NIU after the season that Duke might not have a good workout partner too often, but luckily Joe stepped in and needed someone to help him train for his events. And, it has helped Duke more than anything else in the world. Joe is not only a wonderful wrestler, but he is one of the best people I have ever met. He has done wonders for Duke both physically and mentally. It has been a great turn around for Duke, even though he didnt much turning around. He has dedicated himself to getting even better, and reaching that ultimate level of our sport. And, there is no better person to help him reach the level he wants to get to then Joe, so it works out very very well!! As the old cliche goes....the sky is the limit for Duke. Honestly. He has the potential to be great, and I think he will get there. Just listening to him talk, and watching him workout now tells me that he truely believes anything is possible now. And it is. There is no question that Duke will work harder than anyone else, and he knows that he has to DESERVE to be great. And he will. I look forward to watching him wrestle in the future, and helping him out along the way.
3) The final dream I have had come true lately hasnt actually come true. Yet, it has, at the same time. Its always been my dream to see my sister raise a wonderful family. Her and Mike have two kids already, and in the next week or so, they will be adding #3. Just to see my sister in the position she is in, with 2 wonderful and beautiful kids and a decent husband makes me very happy. Soooo, thats the third dream that has come true.

Sorry if this took too long. I probably will not do too many blogs from here on out, as I should be decently busy with everything. But I wanted all of you to kind of know where my life has taken me since my wrestling career ended, just in case you cared. A lot of you have been great supporters throughout time, and I really appreciate it. The wrestling world is a wonderful place, and Ill never leave. Peoria is not known for its wrestling, but maybe some of you can start to pay attention to PND and watch our growth as a team and program.

Finally....my shout out for this blog has to go to Joe Williams. He made ANOTHER world team, at a different weight! He is amazing, for real. And, as I have said before, he is a great guy too. He has a wonderful wife and two great sons, and he is a good dad and husband to all of them. Joe deserves all the success that he has, and I wish him the best in the future. It amazes me that someone THAT good would take a young college athlete under his wing (like Joe does for Duke) and care about him as much as Joe does. There is nothing forcing him to help Duke or anything like that. Joe could have ANYONE as a workout partner, but he chooses Duke, so that it makes Duke better. Sooo, thanks Joe....for everything you have done for me, my brother, and the wrestling community. Good luck, and God Bless.

So thats that.....hope you all have had a great summer! Congrats Team IL on the titles won, and the great effort by all the coaches athletes and parents involved. It truely is a great state to be a part of, and it will only get better with these type of people. Take care everyone, and watch out for PND......

Last edited by Danny Burk; 08-06-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-16-2007

Congrats man. I'm happy for you that things are working out, you should be very proud of yourself. You have a very bright future.
Old 04-01-2009
Olympian

I'm new to this forum (old and technologically challenged) but I love reading this stuff. It makes me feel young again. I coached with your Dad for two years and they were GREAT years. You were just a squirt and your sister was living off raw hotdogs that your Mom would bring to the matches. I hope my one son has the love for the sport that we do and I'm happy to hear your dream came true. Having a true passion for something is an emotion few people ever get to experience. I have nothing but respect for your whole family.
Old 04-02-2009
Olympian

Congratulations, Danny. Mark has always spoken very highly of your family and we are happy for you.
Sponsored Links