Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 09-19-2019
Olympian

The PIAA will next petition the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFSHSA) to consider the reduction for the 2020-21 season.

If the NFSHSA, which is not expected to vote on the proposal until April 2020, does not approve the change, the PIAA would like to implement a three-year pilot program on its own.
Old 09-19-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent n deadly View Post
I completely disagree with reducing the weight classes. One of the great things about this sport is that people of all builds & sizes can participate. Yes many schools forfeit at the lower weights. But, many times itís because a coach May coach to allow an inexperienced or under sized guy wrestle varsity.

My local hs team currently has a very good upperclassmen wrestling 106, a small sophmore who weighs in around 100 and freshman who weights about 90.

Cut that 106 spot and all 3 may likely leave the sport.
They will leave the sport or you will see more kids being held back.
Old 09-20-2019
Junior Varsity

Even # weight classes

Can anybody tell me why there only seems to be discussion of having an even # of weight classes? It seems to me if we moved to 13 weight classes, it would make tie breakers much easier.

The late 90's had 13 weight classes. I thought they could have been spread out a little more, but generally I have always thought that worked well.

Separate point here, but we have had kids too small to truly compete at 106 every year for the last 10 years in Coal City. If you want fewer weight classes to eliminate forfeits, I get it, but don't cut out opportunity for the little guy!
Sponsored Links