Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 01-09-2011
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
If that's true that is a HUGE upset, even if it is at 135lbs. I saw Avelar beat C. Dardanes once, so I know he is tough, but Whitford...wow...
This was the lock bet of the year. no upset! big senior stud vs soph fenom. stud always wins! What Mac do you think Whitford beats Luke Smith at 140. Whitford is a great wrestler just overmatched this time.
Old 01-09-2011
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
This was the lock bet of the year. no upset! big senior stud vs soph fenom. stud always wins! What Mac do you think Whitford beats Luke Smith at 140. Whitford is a great wrestler just overmatched this time.
Um.."overmatched"...I watched the video...that is not the word I would use. This clearly was an upset! If they wrestled again weeks down the road, I would take Whitford in a rematch.

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 01-09-2011
Olympian

NAh You got it wrong!

Quote:
Not overmatched, no good or great wrestler wants anyone to use that as an excuse.

He was out wrestled, Mike hit the moves when he saw openings. believe that HELLO.
Old 01-09-2011
Olympian

Not so sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
Um.."overmatched"...I watched the video...that is not the word I would use. This clearly was an upset! If they wrestled again weeks down the road, I would take Whitford in a rematch.
Mike was coming off food posion, plus he only practiced once all week, and to top that off he has a shoulder injury. So I think if anything down the road he will be his old self again, I could clearly tell he was fatigued but he still wrestled smart.

I know the speed after all I saw him put that speed on display against my son.
Old 01-09-2011
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Cardinal View Post
Mike was coming off food posion, plus he only practiced once all week, and to top that off he has a shoulder injury. So I think if anything down the road he will be his old self again, I could clearly tell he was fatigued but he still wrestled smart.

I know the speed after all I saw him put that speed on display against my son.
I disagree. I saw Avelar's "speed" vs Dardanes at the sectional a year ago, but when they got to state, who ended up first? There is no way I will make any excuses for Whitford's loss, but if they met in a rematch I would bet Whitford would win...especially if it was in the state tourney (tho it will never happen, two different weight and school classes).

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 01-09-2011
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
I don't think he was overmatched, just outwrestled. He hit a throw early just off the edge and just missed another take down later on the edge of the mat.

Avelar's size may have been a factor in Whitford not being able to get him outta position and run the take down drills that we've been seeing from him.
Old 01-09-2011
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
I don't think he was overmatched, just outwrestled. He hit a throw early just off the edge and just missed another take down later on the edge of the mat.

Avelar's size may have been a factor in Whitford not being able to get him outta position and run the take down drills that we've been seeing from him.
i agree.

that being said, all the times i've seen avelar, i've been impressed.

he's like a technician, he almost always seems to be in good "position".
also, i believe, its pivotal to make whitford wrestle from behind
this fed into avelars strength

good for him. i still think it was an upset, though, i just thought whitford was gonna run the table, undefeated for his career. jmo

the first thing i thought when i heard whitford lost, was.............

"down goes frazier"
Old 01-09-2011
Varsity

Send a message via AIM to WashingtonWrestler135
is a video of this match gonna get posted or anything i would love to see it!!!!!
Old 01-09-2011
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonWrestler135 View Post
is a video of this match gonna get posted or anything i would love to see it!!!!!
Yes, here's the thread with the video: http://www.illinoismatmen.com/forum/...ad.php?t=34602
Old 01-09-2011
Varsity

How is it a upset when two #1 ranked kids wrestle one another?
Sponsored Links